Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    How can I obtain one of these things, and what ID do I need to prove I'm a student?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Andy Pipkin)
    How can I obtain one of these things, and what ID do I need to prove I'm a student?
    If you mean the Young Person's Railcard:
    Open a NatWest student account at http://www.natwest.com/microsites/personal/student/ to get one free or just pay for a standard one from http://www.youngpersons-railcard.co.uk/.

If you mean the London Oyster one:
    It apparently doesn't start until 1st September, I thought you needed a form from your university, if so you'll have to wait until you start university, apparently you can apply online but since it's not open yet, I couldn't tell you what you would need to do.

Your AS12 letter from UCAS should be enough.

ReputationRep:
    Good luck actually getting it with the Natwest account

Andy, you're a mature student arn't you? Best thing to do is grab a form from your local train station, fill it in, you'll need someone at uni to sign it to confirm you're a student and then take it back to your station with a photo. They'll do it there and then - took me about 5mins to get it done.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vickytoria77)
    What do you mean? Sorry I'm not like saying your wrong or anything I was just planning on going with natwest (the railcard being one of the reasons) and so if its a bit dodge I'd just like to know :P.

ReputationRep:
    A fried of mine has been waiting over a month and had it promised numerous times. Don't hold out too much hope.

ReputationRep:
    In the NatWest thread in the Finance subforum plenty of people seem to have got it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MC1409)
    What do you mean? Sorry I'm not like saying your wrong or anything I was just planning on going with natwest (the railcard being one of the reasons) and so if its a bit dodge I'd just like to know :P.
    I know so many of my friends who still haven't had theirs, some have been waiting two years now!

ReputationRep:
    Oh God...ok well I will have to look into that one!! Thanks !

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nikki)
    If you mean the Young Person's Railcard:
    Open a NatWest student account at http://www.natwest.com/microsites/personal/student/ to get one free or just pay for a standard one from http://www.youngpersons-railcard.co.uk/.

If you mean the London Oyster one:
    It apparently doesn't start until 1st September, I thought you needed a form from your university, if so you'll have to wait until you start university, apparently you can apply online but since it's not open yet, I couldn't tell you what you would need to do.

Your AS12 letter from UCAS should be enough.

Thanks!

The NatWEST student account seems to be the best deal, especially with the free railcard. With the amount of leisure train journeys I have, it is essential for me to have a railcard.

However, Is there another student card for Oyster/Underground? If so, would it not be easier for me to apply for the Oyster Card rather than open a whole new bank account just for a Railcard?

A Railcard is only valid on National Rail services, I think, not the Tube. So if I bought a Travelcard from my local station, would I actaully get a discount?

ReputationRep:
    I got my 'young person's railcard' (which I think means 'student railcard') from my local train station. I just went up to the man behind the glass and asked for one. I paid my £20 and got it-just like buying a busspass. It only lasts a year though.

ReputationRep:
    With the young persons railcard for 20 quid, where does that get you? Is it basically a travel card that could take you from let say, London to Manchester by just showing the card and not paying any extra costs?
    Also, correct me if I am wrong but from what I've heard the Nat West Rail card you can only get in your first year of uni?

ReputationRep:
    You will lose your RailCard if you don't use the Natwest Account as your main student account (ie: where your loans go)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ConservativeLibertarian)
    With the young persons railcard for 20 quid, where does that get you? Is it basically a travel card that could take you from let say, London to Manchester by just showing the card and not paying any extra costs?
    Also, correct me if I am wrong but from what I've heard the Nat West Rail card you can only get in your first year of uni?
    It gets you a third off on most rail journeys (mine's saved me a fortune!).

You can get it every year with a Natwest account, but (at least, this was the case in 2005) only if your account's been active in the last three months (which was what decided me not to get one, since I wasn't sure I'd remember to do that if I went abroad).

ReputationRep:
    If you're 25, Andy (I think I read you are) then you don't need anything from the uni as you are entitled to one anyway
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    A young persons railcard is fabulous is you go on lots of long journeys. Even if you just buy it (rather than get it with the Natwest student account) you'll make up the £20 it costs to buy easily.

What you need to prove your a full time student, if your aged 26 or over:
    (Original post by YPR website)
    If you're aged 26 or over, you'll need to provide proof that you're a full-time student at a recognised school or college. This has to be over 15 hours a week and for at least 20 weeks a year. You can either show an ISIC card or have the 'Mature students only' section of the application form completed and certified by your institution.
    Just pop into your nearest train station and get it done there and then. Takes 5 mins, if that and you can use it asap. Make sure you have a passport style photo to hand as well.

ReputationRep:
    Yes, you get a discount with the travel cards that you buy that take you in and out of London and give you tube and bus travel. I LOVE my railcard...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ConservativeLibertarian)
    It saves you up to a third off train fares. It cost me £15 for a return to London plus an all day travel card today. Normally would be £22/£25 from where I am.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lb001)
    You will lose your RailCard if you don't use the Natwest Account as your main student account (ie: where your loans go)
    You sure about that? Because I deposited all my loans into my Abbey account, and merely occasionally topped up my Natwest while abusing its generous overdraft facility and I got my new railcard for this coming academic year last month.

Not criticising you but this hasn't happened in my experience at least.

ReputationRep:

Andy, you're a mature student arn't you? Best thing to do is grab a form from your local train station, fill it in, you'll need someone at uni to sign it to confirm you're a student and then take it back to your station with a photo. They'll do it there and then - took me about 5mins to get it done.
    I didn't need soemone for uni to sign it i just had to show them my NUS card.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hippieglitter)
    I didn't need soemone for uni to sign it i just had to show them my NUS card.
    You're not over 25 though, are you?

Poll
Have you ever experienced bullying?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.