The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by xxxlolzxxx
Anyone declaring themselves as a living charity dedicated to "helping people" is a f***ing compulsive liar trying to up their social status. I don't do that kind of stuff. Even the people very good at interviews who come across as 100% genuine told me they do it for the money.

Don't tell me there is no money in medicine. Don't cite the junior doctors contracts. If you genuinely believe there is no money in medicine follow these links:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-36028368

http://www.newhealthadvisor.com/highest-paid-medical-specialties.html

The fact is, we all want good return on our investments. My investment is all the hours put into studies. Return is hard cash.

We just need to make ourselves look like human charities. My friends are better at that then I am. All I want to know is how I can get better at that, that's all I want to know from you guys.

People in this forum may vilify me for saying this, but deep down you all know its the truth. You want hard cash. You want a better house. You want new car. Don't worry, its human nature to do so.

BTW, already tried freelancing jobs on the web, pay is s***. Way to much competition for those due to the lack of qualification requirements. Everyone undercutting for the same job. See, I've done my research.

Finance, engineering, compsci all have fluctuating demands. There will always be sick people, medicine will always yield jobs.

we were not aware of that

Original post by Orbital Rising
71c3931c1edc4353a0c03ec549753b965872a2c343c09255617f4470cbd924ed.jpg

This made me laugh too much :P
Original post by EllyJelly
This made me laugh too much :P

:wink:
Reply 63
Meh, obviously doctors want money for the work they do. But there are many better paying jobs that don't come with 5 years degree + 12 years of training and mental burden. If I was after money, Id go into economics/business.
You really undermine medical applicants, students and doctors...we're all smart enough not to go into such a demanding degree for the potential of earning a lot of money if we could just do easy management degree and earn twice the amount in half the time.
Reply 64
Look, I think you are missing a vital point:

Life is not Linear RPG, it's one of the most dynamic environments possible. IRL, there are so many ways of making money, some of which are especially dark: take drug dealing human trafficking for example. All these yield even more profits than medicine in the short time. Compared to these things, in medicine you actually help people.

So what if we overcharge some-one for an operation or a test, at least we are still treating them. At least we are not selling them addictive drugs for some quick cash.
At least its a reliable career path

I post on 4chan BTW, caring is not my thing

:rofl:

Have you even swallowed the redpill yet?
Reply 66
If you acc wanna help ppl, be a nurse! Don't need high grades for that, not much money mind you...
Original post by 41b
Ye it's why the concept of "trusting your doctor" is an insane concept. Doctors make the most money the more sick people they have to treat - if people were healthy non-emergency doctors would be unemployed. Hence why doctors give you DRUGS that TREAT you rather than natural SOLUTIONS that CURE you.

You're incomprehensibly naive.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by 41b
Ye it's why the concept of "trusting your doctor" is an insane concept. Doctors make the most money the more sick people they have to treat - if people were healthy non-emergency doctors would be unemployed. Hence why doctors give you DRUGS that TREAT you rather than natural SOLUTIONS that CURE you.

This is mainly due to big pharma and their influence over doctors. You're right, gsk would rather give drugs that sort out symptoms as you can sell a lot of those.
Reply 69
Still, a pay rise won't hurt :biggrin:
(edited 7 years ago)
If you acc wanna help ppl, be a nurse! Don't need high grades for that, not much money mind you...

Some people like to solve problems, diagnose people or perform surgery. And being a doctor allows them to that way more than it would being nurse.
OP, it's quite clear you are deficient in empathy and social intelligence. Yes there are people out there who's sole motivations are money/ status. That however doesn't mean every single person in the world is like that, just because those happen to be your primary motivations. The fact you fail to place yourself in the shoes of another is further evidence of your deficient emotional intelligence.
Anyone declaring themselves as a living charity dedicated to "helping people" is a f***ing compulsive liar trying to up their social status. I don't do that kind of stuff. Even the people very good at interviews who come across as 100% genuine told me they do it for the money.

Don't tell me there is no money in medicine. Don't cite the junior doctors contracts. If you genuinely believe there is no money in medicine follow these links:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-36028368

http://www.newhealthadvisor.com/highest-paid-medical-specialties.html

The fact is, we all want good return on our investments. My investment is all the hours put into studies. Return is hard cash.

We just need to make ourselves look like human charities. My friends are better at that then I am. All I want to know is how I can get better at that, that's all I want to know from you guys.

People in this forum may vilify me for saying this, but deep down you all know its the truth. You want hard cash. You want a better house. You want new car. Don't worry, its human nature to do so.

BTW, already tried freelancing jobs on the web, pay is s***. Way to much competition for those due to the lack of qualification requirements. Everyone undercutting for the same job. See, I've done my research.

Finance, engineering, compsci all have fluctuating demands. There will always be sick people, medicine will always yield jobs.
Can I just entertain the thought that someone can do medicine for the sole reason of wanting to help people. You can't prove that this is not a feasible possibility.:nah:
Original post by 41b

You speak like there's some hidden conspiracy of how doctors are hiding away cures only to keep treating sick patients to keep them sick.
For the record OP, I don't doubt your academic intelligence. But I, along with the majority of readers here, doubt your social and emotional intelligence.

But the truth of the matter is that someone with these characteristics is unlikely to even get into medical school since they wouldn't pass the interviews. Those aren't things you can really practise and get good at if you don't possess the innate ability to empathise in the first place.
The premise of this thread is so frustrating. All one has to do is to look at the thousands of doctors who take part in unsalaried volunteering work overseas, helping the less fortunate. Also, why on Earth would OP assume that making money and helping people are motivations that are mutually exclusive? Is it not possible to be motivated by both? It sounds to me like OP is a bitter misanthrope trying to feel better about their lack of altruism.
I want to add to the excellent point made above. If every doctor was motivated solely by money...then why do the overwhelming majority of doctors here work in the NHS? They could easily join or set up a private practice on Harley St and be millionaires in no time, rather than waiting a decade+ for that elusive consultant salary.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 77
Original post by habeas.corpus
I want to add to the excellent point made above. If every doctor was motivated solely by money...then why do the overwhelming majority of doctors here work in the NHS? They could easily join or set up a private practice on Harley St and be millionaires in no time, rather than waiting a decade+ for that elusive consultant salary.

Lol.

Almost everyone who has posted here has no knowledge of the medical industry, like you.

To get a practice on Harley street requires being a highly qualified consultant that has climbed to the top of the NHS.

It's as if none of you know anything about medicine but have swallowed the statist propaganda it throws out to justify its existence.
Original post by 41b
Lol.

Almost everyone who has posted here has no knowledge of the medical industry, like you.

To get a practice on Harley street requires being a highly qualified consultant that has climbed to the top of the NHS.

It's as if none of you know anything about medicine but have swallowed the statist propaganda it throws out to justify its existence.

As a frequenter of Harley Street myself, not all the doctors there are consultants. And there are doctors who have their own clinics/ practice who are not consultants. I've seen several personally who have only practised medicine in the public sector for a few years. This is certainly true of many doctors who offer cosmetic procedures. Yes there are plenty of experienced doctors but you made a hideously incorrect blanket statement.

Stop acting as if what you say is infallible. I'm still facepalming at your previous posts.
Original post by habeas.corpus
As a frequenter of Harley Street myself, not all the doctors there are consultants. And there are doctors who have their own clinics/ practice who are not consultants. I've seen several personally who have only practised medicine in the public sector for a few years. This is certainly true of many doctors who offer cosmetic procedures. Yes there are plenty of experienced doctors but you made a hideously incorrect blanket statement.

Stop acting as if what you say is infallible. I'm still facepalming at your previous posts.

I wouldn't bothering answering the silly illogical sod that is 41b. He or it is too engrossed in conspiracy theories and denies that the burden of proof lies on him/it when he/it makes a preposterous claim.

He/ it doesn't want to believe that there are doctors out there who simultaneously make money and care about others. I don't know why such a concept is so hard for people to get their head around, unless they were abused as a child or something.
(edited 7 years ago)

Latest