Need a new Laptop, can anyone help? Watch

Jezeppe
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
I'm an IT Student...We don't always have the answer to these things, the laptop will need a fairly large amount of memory and ideally HD screen display as it will be used a lot for graphics and website development as well as lots of MS Office documents...maybe movies as well. Wondering if anyone knows any good laptops about so I can narrow a search list?

Any help, much appreciated.
Acsel
  • Community Assistant
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Can't go wrong with a Dell XPS 13. I'm using it for my IT course and despite only having 8GB of RAM and a dual core i5 it has never struggled with any of my content. It's fine for programming, network simulation, web design and running VM's. I also have it set up to dual boot into Linux.

Nowadays though I'd recommend the Razer Blade Stealth. The latest model has an i7 (dual core still) and 16GB of RAM for a similar price to the XPS. The Razer core would let you add an external GPU if you wanted to game and means you can have a single device for all your work.

They're not cheap, starting around £1000 but they're the best you can buy right now.
Jezeppe
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
(Original post by Acsel)
Can't go wrong with a Dell XPS 13. I'm using it for my IT course and despite only having 8GB of RAM and a dual core i5 it has never struggled with any of my content. It's fine for programming, network simulation, web design and running VM's. I also have it set up to dual boot into Linux.

Nowadays though I'd recommend the Razer Blade Stealth. The latest model has an i7 (dual core still) and 16GB of RAM for a similar price to the XPS. The Razer core would let you add an external GPU if you wanted to game and means you can have a single device for all your work.

They're not cheap, starting around £1000 but they're the best you can buy right now.
That's great, sounds like a great piece of kit. I'll put that one on the shortlist. Thanks for the help.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (62)
15.12%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (41)
10%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (78)
19.02%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (60)
14.63%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (44)
10.73%
How can I be the best version of myself? (125)
30.49%

Watched Threads