The Student Room Group

Wayne Rooney

News just starting to break now, rumours circulating that Rooney's losing the England captaincy after that drunken night out he had at some wedding.

Seems to be causing a lot of debate if his actions were acceptable or not which I don't understand. If you're a professional athlete you don't get pissed out of your face during the season, you look after your body. You certainly don't let yourself get into that much of a drunken state when you're captain of your country and one of it's biggest clubs (insert Europa League joke here). Rooney has previous for this too.

I'll be stunned if he's a Manchester United player or an England international this time next year.

Scroll to see replies

Wayne Rooney? Don't you mean Shrek? Wait, what am I even doing on this thread? I don't even like football. Can someone help me? I'm kinda lost.
That last sentence in the OP is such an sr90 hyperbole statement
Of course it's unacceptable behaviour. Unprofessional and past it. Time for him to retire for England.

Bye Wayne. Thanks for the erm... thanks.
I don't think anyone would care if it was someone else, but because it's Rooney who everyone hates for some reason then it's DISGUSTING and UNACCEPTABLE.
Reply 5
Original post by sr90
News just starting to break now, rumours circulating that Rooney's losing the England captaincy after that drunken night out he had at some wedding.

Seems to be causing a lot of debate if his actions were acceptable or not which I don't understand. If you're a professional athlete you don't get pissed out of your face during the season, you look after your body. You certainly don't let yourself get into that much of a drunken state when you're captain of your country and one of it's biggest clubs (insert Europa League joke here). Rooney has previous for this too.

I'll be stunned if he's a Manchester United player or an England international this time next year.

He's a footballer, he runs around kicking a ball. He's never been athletic, who gives a damn?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Wayne Rooney should be left out of the England squad, for footballing reasons.
Original post by Diego Costa
I don't think anyone would care if it was someone else, but because it's Rooney who everyone hates for some reason then it's DISGUSTING and UNACCEPTABLE.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/aston-villas-jack-grealish-under-6888078

The emphasis of the article is that it was hours after Villa had been hammered. Not too mention Grealish is a repeat offender for this kind of behaviour.

I strongly doubt that if Dele Alli for instance had been caught drunk that people were saying that he wouldn't be a Spurs/England player this time next year.
Original post by Diego Costa
The emphasis of the article is that it was hours after Villa had been hammered.

Come on. Grealish got slated for being pissed on holiday after the season had finished.

Not too mention Grealish is a repeat offender for this kind of behaviour.

http://i1.mirror.co.uk/incoming/article3800962.ece/ALTERNATES/s615/PAY-Wayne-Rooney-watching-the-USA-game.jpg

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2013/05/08/article-2321466-19AEDAC1000005DC-761_634x452.jpg

http://img.thesun.co.uk/aidemitlum/archive/00517/Wayne_Rooney_517489a.jpg

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2012/sep/05/wayne-rooney-training-seven-pounds-overweight

Wayne Rooney has admitted that he once turned up seven pounds overweight to Manchester United's pre-season training. The 26-year-old striker also cast doubt on his long-term career by admitting he struggles "to walk for the first half an hour" following a game.

In extracts in the Mirror from his book, My Decade in the Premier League by Wayne Rooney, the England forward writes about the summer of 2009: "Early July: the first day back at pre-season training. I'm like most blokes, I put on a few pounds after a holiday. Even if I don't train for a week, I put on two or three, but when I get back to Carrington for the first day of work, I'm in for a shock.

The scales in the club gym tell me I've put on a few more pounds than expected – seven. Seven!
"Then I remember – I drank a few bevvies while I was away.

http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/news/greater-manchester-news/wayne-rooney-in-hot-water-over-895528

Wayne Rooney has been shown the yellow card by council bosses after he was caught on camera apparently urinating outside a nightclub.

The pictures showed the millionaire United striker as he appeared to be relieving himself against a bin outside the trendy Panacea venue on Manchester’s John Dalton Street.

He was also seen with a cigarette in his mouth – something that will not go down well with United’s no-nonsense boss Sir Alex Ferguson.

Onlookers said Rooney, 24, wandered through the city-centre streets with friends singing football songs. He eventually clambered into a taxi, along with wife Coleen, at around 5.30am.

If he had been singing in the streets in the early hours, pissing up bins and smoking cigarettes I think it's safe to say our Wayne had a few 'bevvies' that night.

I strongly doubt that if Dele Alli for instance had been caught drunk that people were saying that he wouldn't be a Spurs/England player this time next year.

Dele Alli has his best years ahead of him and can learn. Rooney can't.
(edited 7 years ago)
Time to take him round back and put him out of his misery.
There's just one story of him being drunk and disorderly, which was over six years ago while the season was over. As for being seen with beer, I don't think that it's too much of a big deal for a player to have a drink now and then.

The only story that has shown beer affecting his performance is the one in 2009, but the alcohol presumably didn't have an effect on him for that long in the season as he found he net in the first and second games of the season.

It's knee-jerk to say Rooney won't be at United next season.
Gosh, who cares? a Wayne Rooney who is diverge from the norm because of an unacceptable behaviour is 100 times better than those over-adapted and political correct players.

As long as he is doing what he has to do as a footballer, I give a **** about his private life and his life behind the pitch.
I really dont thinkmits that big a deal him drinking, its probably a lot more common than people think.

Rooney himself is a player who has been horribly mismanaged and hence has had a massive decline in his effectiveness in such a rapid space of time. Let him pick up goalscoring records for United/England then he can retire, or have a swansong in the us if he wants.
Original post by sr90

Rooney is past his best now and both Man U and England now have better players up front available to them. Rooney likely peaked in 2014 (perhaps earlier but Man U in general were poor that year) and should now only play in a Gerrard like role for both or they should sell him.

At any rate, Rooney will be in the US by the end of the 2019 season if not sooner.
Original post by Rakas21
Rooney is past his best now and both Man U and England now have better players up front available to them. Rooney likely peaked in 2014 (perhaps earlier but Man U in general were poor that year) and should now only play in a Gerrard like role for both or they should sell him.

At any rate, Rooney will be in the US by the end of the 2019 season if not sooner.

Rooney will be 34 at the beginning of the 2019 season and won't play for another PL club that it's Everton, so it's not much of a stretch to say he'll be in Yankeeland then
The Sun is certainly gunning for him - he's been on the front cover more than once, and appears at the back in an unfavourable light. They smell blood...
Reply 17
Original post by Andy98
He's a footballer, he runs around kicking a ball. He's never been athletic, who gives a damn?

Posted from TSR Mobile

The FA and The Sun. The FA because they think having a drink is worse than his foul mouthed tirades towards officials whilst on club duty in the past. I believe the FA considers the captain of the England national team as an ambassador, and they use 'role model' as an excuse to enact social control on their players. The Sun because they like to have a say in team selection and think they can point the finger on how to behave, despite using topless women for page 3.
Reply 18
Original post by Kallisto

As long as he is doing what he has to do as a footballer, I give a **** about his private life and his life behind the pitch.

Only problem is that he isn't.
Original post by Reality Check
The Sun is certainly gunning for him - he's been on the front scover more than once, and appears at the back in an unfavourable light. They smell blood...

Even though they paid him for an interview when he joined Man U, which was stupid given how The Sun is hated in Liverpool.

Quick Reply

Latest