Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Just finished my second year and must say I have gained nothing!!!
    Doing Sociology at Hallam.

ReputationRep:
    I've gained some (hopefully) lifelong friends, and a great deal of network-type people who might be useful in the future. I've gained the skills from my course, and a great deal of confidence in both course-related issues and in general.
    I've gained a LOT of maturity, and I've gained happiness, and some experiences that I wouldn't have gotten any other way (I'm a mentor, and involved in the SU, for example).
    I've also gotten a much clearer idea of what I want from the rest of my life.

It really is a case of 'you get out what you put in' in my opinion.

ReputationRep:
    I ment by your degree.
    If i was to write a CV what would i put? I have gained much more from paid employment then Uni.

ReputationRep:
    Ah I don't know in that case then.
    I've learnt all the skills needed for TV Production, as mine's a vocational degree so it's focused on what I want to do.
    I find it worrying that after 2 years of your course, you've not learnt anything that can help you...
    Can you not just, not mention it on your CV as anything specific - I mean, put the degree on there but focus more on your employment? Let employers make assumptions about the degree so you don't have to explain it?

ReputationRep:
    A piece of paper

ReputationRep:
    a bad liver

ReputationRep:
    An excuse to avoid the "real world" of work.

A few funky diseases, two of which don't seem to have names (these are my favourite).

Various grey hairs in inconvenient places.

A couple of (known) scars.

Several fines from the university and landlords.

Good friends.

Bad photos.

Dodgy joints in my fingers and knees.

Books I never intend on reading ever again.

A TSR account.

Debt.

A few ex-girlfriends.

A dictionary stained with vomit.

ReputationRep:
    After finishing an entire degree I'm still not sure how to study.

Although I learned a lot about genetics and bacteria.....and even more people than I thought suck.

ReputationRep:
    Actually from my degree and not from the experience itself?
    I feel more confident in my own ideas and how to organise them, which is probably the most important thing.

ReputationRep:
    From my first year, I learnt next to nothing, aside from the basics of a programme (Max/MSP). I pretty much knew everything else they taught us there.

Aside from that, I've gotten some debt from a course I'm continuing but not sure about.

Outside the degree, I've made some cool friends. Got a band. Had a good time.

ReputationRep:
    i got confidence, my independance, new friends, amazing memories, an insight into how strong i am, an ex boyfriend, my first proper relationship, some hangovers, a book on how to work the computer, a new job..the list is endless and thast looking at mainly the parts im not paying huge amounts for!
    Uni has been the best experience of my life so far and i wouldnt swop it for anything!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Josiejo31)
    Uni has been the best experience of my life so far and i wouldnt swop it for anything!!!
    Same here!

No matter what my doubts on the course, I can't wait to get back. Must be the first summer I've wanted to get back to education, but it's about more than just the course!

ReputationRep:
    An ability to actually pretend to know what I'm talking about when it comes to shouting the odds over politics and current affairs, loads of great friends, how to roll a big fat joint, experienced some amazing parties and raves, and a mountain of debt. Wouldn't think of changing it for anything mind.

ReputationRep:
    I heard a rumor that someone gained a degree..

ReputationRep:
    nothing, im probably a worse person for going!

ReputationRep:
    I know it is like a 9 month party... but I just feel I am not gaining anything from being there. I am not learning much (well I learn stuff but nothing I care about) etc. If an employee was to ask me what I have gained what shall I say?

ReputationRep:
    Maybe you're not learning stuff because you're treating it like a 9 month party?

ReputationRep:
    No, this thread is not about what your learning, I am learning stuff or else I would of failed modules etc...
    Come on Uni is a holiday. You can do what you want, when you want. You get money every few months, no one is that bothered if you not turn up. Go out clubbing on a whim etc. Summer is hard work. Waking up to start work at 9am and having to be there all day etc.
    However what skills have I learnt? We dont do griup work, presentations etc.... so compared to someone who has done a job for the last three years, how am I better?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Becky_Sheffield)
    No, this thread is not about what your learning, I am learning stuff or else I would of failed modules etc...
    Come on Uni is a holiday. You can do what you want, when you want. You get money every few months, no one is that bothered if you not turn up. Go out clubbing on a whim etc. Summer is hard work. Waking up to start work at 9am and having to be there all day etc.
    However what skills have I learnt? We dont do griup work, presentations etc.... so compared to someone who has done a job for the last three years, how am I better?
    Ah I see. Well I don't do work during the summer break, but I do put all of my effort into university so I don't see that as my holiday - but I get what you mean there, I'm pretty sure it would feel like a holiday if I had to work all summer, bleugh.
    As for what skills you have, I don't know what you can put for that. How come you've never done any group work or presentations?
    No extra-curricular activities you can talk about?

ReputationRep:
    Rugby club - on cimmittee and play
    Mentoring project - which never really took of
    Student ambassador for Uni (just work at open days n stuff)

I was thinking about becoming a student rep but dont know if they need anyone at moment

Also I am working as a Senior Resident, living back in halls and looking after the freshers

Hallam Union is quite bad for getting involved, dont have lots of societies and nothing really suits me.

I dont know why we dont do group work on the course.....maybe in the last year.

I am afraid I have to work during the summer as I cant live at home.

Poll
Have you ever experienced bullying?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.