The Student Room Group

Started a degree but not sure about it...

Hello,
I have just started a Geography degree at uni, however I think that I may have chosen the wrong course. I really enjoyed history in college as well, but I don't know whether it would be a good idea to drop out and reapply. I got A*A*A at A level, but I don't know whether reapplying could hurt my application in applying for top universities. I'm also struggling with homesickness and i'm unsure whether to apply for a uni closer to home to help me settle in.
Original post by ls1004
Hello,
I have just started a Geography degree at uni, however I think that I may have chosen the wrong course. I really enjoyed history in college as well, but I don't know whether it would be a good idea to drop out and reapply. I got A*A*A at A level, but I don't know whether reapplying could hurt my application in applying for top universities. I'm also struggling with homesickness and i'm unsure whether to apply for a uni closer to home to help me settle in.

@University of East Anglia

Student Minds
x

Please could you help here too :h:
If you are unsure about the content of your degree you need to speak to your personal tutor, it may be possible for you to transfer to a History degree , either at your current university or at another one. If you find you cannot move this year, then it may be possible to move next year. Contact the universities of your choice directly and have a conversation with them. Finally, you need to consider whether you can settle in to your current university if you give yourself a little more time. Should you decide to leave speak to SFE before you do and your institution as they could make you pay for the whole year. SFE will allow you four years of funding go gain your degree.
Original post by ls1004
Hello,
Original post by ls1004
Hello,

Generally with applications, universities can't discriminate based on if people have already been to uni before, and you do not have to inform them of this if you would rather keep it private. Normally universities will look at your applications based on your grades first.

Potentially you options could be to move universities, but equally you could change course if you're finding that to be the biggest problem. You can speak to student support services, and your course leader about this for more information (or your SU advice centre).

If you're feeling homesick, there's a few useful guides here which may help:
- Settling in guide and homesickness, NUS
- Lots of blogs about other students who have felt homesick at uni, Student Minds Blog

Hopefully these are a helpful start!
Nick
Student Minds

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending