nats65
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Hi my name is Natalie
I'm at sixth form doing my first year of a btec extended diploma level 3 in IT and I really want to ho to uni but I have no idea what I want to do, what I like etc. And my college career advisors have been of no help at all. Also, would I have to do an IT degree because although I do rather enjoy the subject I really don't think I would like to pursue it as a career ?
She-Ra
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by nats65)
Hi my name is Natalie
I'm at sixth form doing my first year of a btec extended diploma level 3 in IT and I really want to ho to uni but I have no idea what I want to do, what I like etc. And my college career advisors have been of no help at all. Also, would I have to do an IT degree because although I do rather enjoy the subject I really don't think I would like to pursue it as a career ?

(Original post by Leeds City College)
x
Please can you help Natalie?

National Apprenticeship Service - you advice would be appreciated here too
PQ
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Hi my name is Natalie
You wouldn't have to follow an IT based route (and even if you did an IT based degree you wouldn't have to do that as a career!).

It might be worth spending some time working through http://www.plotr.co.uk/ (it's long but interesting) to see what sort of careers it suggests. Then if any interest you look into what is required to do that job.
markova21
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by PQ)
You wouldn't have to follow an IT based route (and even if you did an IT based degree you wouldn't have to do that as a career!).

It might be worth spending some time working through http://www.plotr.co.uk/ (it's long but interesting) to see what sort of careers it suggests. Then if any interest you look into what is required to do that job.
Thanks for the link to that website. Must show it to my son when he gets home from college tonight.
PQ
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by markova21)
Thanks for the link to that website. Must show it to my son when he gets home from college tonight.
Full disclosure - it was not great at recommending good career choices for me (it seemed to keep reverting to counselling or teaching when I was VERY clear about not enjoying or wanting to do anything of the sort!)...but it's a good exercise in demonstrating how many options are available.
Leeds City College
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Hi my name is Natalie
Hi a B/tec extended diploma gives you lots of opportunities to study at university and you are not limited to just IT courses. If you think of the range of academic skills you are developing these are highly transferable to a wide range of degrees. I think often because on a B/tec everyone else wants to do courses in that field it can feel like it is the only thing available to you - it isn't !
In terms of what you can/want to do - its impossible for me to give you advice via e-mail but you might find the following links very useful. http://www.plotr.co.uk/ this will give you career ideas based on your personality.Also have a look at the Propects website which is designed for graduates but again you can take a test and it will generate some ideas for you https://www.prospects.ac.uk/ and go to the careers advice section.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    PGCE Open day Postgraduate
    Sat, 29 Feb '20
  • Edinburgh Napier University
    Postgraduate Drop-in Brunch Postgraduate
    Sat, 29 Feb '20
  • Teesside University
    All faculties open Undergraduate
    Sat, 29 Feb '20

Do you get study leave?