aabbbbyyxx
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
I just started uni this year doing media and communications and while I don't hate it, I keep thinking that I should have applied to do business instead because not only did I do better at it in A-level, but now I'm no longer doing it I really miss it and keep thinking I should be doing that instead. I also applied to go to unis only in London and had all these hopes and ideas and days after results day, due to personal circumstances, I could no longer afford to move to London as its so expensive so I called other unis but most didnt have any accommodation so in a panic applied to a uni close-ish to home and decided to just live at home because I didn't want to risk not having a place anywhere. However, while I don't hate the uni I'm at, I'm not enjoying it as much as I feel I should be because I had this idea of London in my head and although I'm no longer upset I didnt move to London, I also keep thinking that initially I should have looked all over the country for a uni, not just in London as I was set on it and feel like I may have missed an opportunity somewhere else, and now I'm at a uni I don't love because I applied on a whim and it wasnt somewhere I would have picked. It is a good uni and I'm not going to deny that, but its not a uni I feel is suited to me. I don't know what to do or how to even approach this subject. Can I transfer to another uni next year? apply again? I'm so lost, don't know who to speak to or what to do but I just feel like I've made a mistake. Do you have any advice on how to approach the subject of being at the wrong uni or doing the wrong subject? Thanks!!
Juno
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by aabbbbyyxx)
I just started uni this year doing media and communications and while I don't hate it, I keep thinking that I should have applied to do business instead because not only did I do better at it in A-level, but now I'm no longer doing it I really miss it and keep thinking I should be doing that instead. I also applied to go to unis only in London and had all these hopes and ideas and days after results day, due to personal circumstances, I could no longer afford to move to London as its so expensive so I called other unis but most didnt have any accommodation so in a panic applied to a uni close-ish to home and decided to just live at home because I didn't want to risk not having a place anywhere. However, while I don't hate the uni I'm at, I'm not enjoying it as much as I feel I should be because I had this idea of London in my head and although I'm no longer upset I didnt move to London, I also keep thinking that initially I should have looked all over the country for a uni, not just in London as I was set on it and feel like I may have missed an opportunity somewhere else, and now I'm at a uni I don't love because I applied on a whim and it wasnt somewhere I would have picked. It is a good uni and I'm not going to deny that, but its not a uni I feel is suited to me. I don't know what to do or how to even approach this subject. Can I transfer to another uni next year? apply again? I'm so lost, don't know who to speak to or what to do but I just feel like I've made a mistake. Do you have any advice on how to approach the subject of being at the wrong uni or doing the wrong subject? Thanks!!
Read the thread on transferring. If the modules at your current uni are similar to the modules at another uni, you may be able to transfer. This means that you would need to stick with media and communications.

You can apply to do the first year again at another uni if you think that would suit you more. You would have more choice over where to go, as you could apply for any subject. So if you really want to do business this would be your best option.
She-Ra
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I just started uni this year doing media and communications and while I don't hate it, I keep thinking that I should have applied to do business instead because not only did I do better at it in A-level, but now I'm no longer doing it I really miss it and keep thinking I should be doing that instead. I also applied to go to unis only in London and had all these hopes and ideas and days after results day, due to personal circumstances, I could no longer afford to move to London as its so expensive so I called other unis but most didnt have any accommodation so in a panic applied to a uni close-ish to home and decided to just live at home because I didn't want to risk not having a place anywhere.

However, while I don't hate the uni I'm at, I'm not enjoying it as much as I feel I should be because I had this idea of London in my head and although I'm no longer upset I didnt move to London, I also keep thinking that initially I should have looked all over the country for a uni, not just in London as I was set on it and feel like I may have missed an opportunity somewhere else, and now I'm at a uni I don't love because I applied on a whim and it wasnt somewhere I would have picked. It is a good uni and I'm not going to deny that, but its not a uni I feel is suited to me. I don't know what to do or how to even approach this subject.

Can I transfer to another uni next year? apply again? I'm so lost, don't know who to speak to or what to do but I just feel like I've made a mistake. Do you have any advice on how to approach the subject of being at the wrong uni or doing the wrong subject? Thanks!!
University of East Anglia please can you advise too
University of East Anglia
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
A couple of things we can add. If you're interested in transferring which may be possible if you've done similar modules then do contact a few universities that you are considering and can then get a feel for whether this may be possible. They'll want to know the subject you've covered so far and what you'll be doing in the spring. If you think you may wish to start again, or if transferring isn't possible, you may need to do a new UCAS application and for that the deadline is 15th Jan.

Have a chat with you tutor/academic adviser to talk through options and your student union will have an advice centre too so definitely worth popping in there too.

Roshan (Higher Education Adviser at UEA)
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (138)
14.39%
I'm not sure (42)
4.38%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (288)
30.03%
I have already dropped out (25)
2.61%
I'm not a current university student (466)
48.59%

Watched Threads