The Student Room Group

Went to uni because I felt I should - are apprenticeships a risk?

Hi
I've recently started uni , studying psychology. I've been feeling like I've made the wrong choice . I feel as though I chose to go to uni because it's what is expected and I didn't know what else to do. I'm not really enjoying the course content and going to uni feels like a chore ! I've always looked at apprenticeships but feel like it would be a risk as I don't know exactly what I want to in future ! I'm just so confused and need some guidance thanks
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Dmay052
Hi
I've recently started uni , studying psychology. I've been feeling like I've made the wrong choice . I feel as though I chose to go to uni because it's what is expected and I didn't know what else to do. I'm not really enjoying the course content and going to uni feels like a chore ! I've always looked at apprenticeships but feel like it would be a risk as I don't know exactly what I want to in future ! I'm just so confused and need some guidance thanks

@University of East Anglia @National Apprenticeship Service please can you advise @Dmay052

@Kay Vizard-Kotkowicz can you explain will happen in terms of student finance if the student decides to leave university?

Thanks everyone :h:
Hi @Dmay052

If you decide to withdraw at the end of your first term (normally Christmas) then you shouldn't be asked to re-pay any Student Finance immediately. You would enter re-payment the April after you leave the course and re-pay once you are earning over £21,000 gross .

Hope this helps.
Original post by She-Ra
@University of East Anglia @National Apprenticeship Service please can you advise @Dmay052

@Kay Vizard-Kotkowicz can you explain will happen in terms of student finance if the student decides to leave university?

Thanks everyone :h:
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Dmay052
Hi

The first term of uni is always a tricky one - there are always lots of introductory classes to ensure everyone is at the same level. Sometimes, the really interesting topics will come a bit later once you've covered the basics. Definitely worth a chat with your personal tutor/academic advisor to see what modules are next and what you'll be covering in the spring term. Don't forget that whilst being at uni, you can also start building up your skills in the workplace too - have a chat with the careers centre at your uni to see whether there are internship opportunities available for next summer that you can start applying to. Finally, don't forget uni isn't just about work - clubs and societies can be a great way to try new activities and relax after a busy week of studying. Your student union will be able to help you get involved if you're not sure whats available!

Thanks

Roshan (Higher Education Adviser at UEA)
Original post by Dmay052
Hi

You need to speak to someone at the National Careers Service on 0800 100 900 to explore your options, get help with your application and interview techniques

and

If you want more information on apprenticeships visit getigofar campaign website where you can see videos of existing apprentices which might provide some inspiration

and

Also take a look at the gov.uk/findanapprenticeship website which lists apprenticeship vacancies from employers. You can search by your postcode, level, job type and if you see anything that interests you you can apply on-line
Original post by University of East Anglia
The first term of uni is always a tricky one - there are always lots of introductory classes to ensure everyone is at the same level. Sometimes, the really interesting topics will come a bit later once you've covered the basics. Definitely worth a chat with your personal tutor/academic advisor to see what modules are next and what you'll be covering in the spring term. Don't forget that whilst being at uni, you can also start building up your skills in the workplace too - have a chat with the careers centre at your uni to see whether there are internship opportunities available for next summer that you can start applying to. Finally, don't forget uni isn't just about work - clubs and societies can be a great way to try new activities and relax after a busy week of studying. Your student union will be able to help you get involved if you're not sure whats available!

Thanks

Roshan (Higher Education Adviser at UEA)

I agree.
If you are still interested in apprenticeships though- do some research and see what area of work you might like to go into and what apprenticeships are available if you do decide to drop out. I wouldnt worry about them being a risk- you gain a qualification while working and you gain experience. And you can also progress through the company after starting as an apprentice.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending