The Student Room Group

Nov 23rd: What's the best method of contraception?

On The Surgery this week Gemma and Dr Radha have everything you need to know about contraception whatever gender you are. There’s no single perfect way to stop pregnancy or protect from STIs, so what works best for you?

Have you tried lots of contraceptive methods? Have you had a contraception fail? Would you take the male pill if it was on the NHS?

Share your experiences of contraception below, and tune in to Radio 1 on Wednesday 23rd November at 9pm to find out more.

Please note: you can post on this forum anonymously.

Scroll to see replies

Radio 1 doesn't realise 99% of the people on here are virgins.

Also.... there is a male version of the pill?
Original post by cbreef
Radio 1 doesn't realise 99% of the people on here are virgins.

Also.... there is a male version of the pill?

I'm not lol.

And, yeah, but it failed the 'trial' stage, so it's probably not going to be released for some time.
Original post by Nirvana1989-1994
I'm not lol.

And, yeah, but it failed the 'trial' stage, so it's probably not going to be released for some time.

How does it work? Do you still... you know...
Original post by cbreef
How does it work? Do you still... you know...

I don't quite follow??
I don't quite follow??

"Ejaculate" :rofl: :colondollar:
Original post by cbreef
"Ejaculate" :rofl: :colondollar:

Yeah haha. :rofl:

Apparently, it stops sperm, somehow.

Says some stuff on here:
http://www.nhs.uk/Conditions/contraception-guide/Pages/male-pill.aspx
Being a TSR user
Reply 8
The best method of contraception is KLC (Keep Legs Closed). LOL
Abstinence. :rofl:
Reply 10
I have a nexplanon implant in my arm and it's one of the best decisions I've made about my body. I don't have to worry about getting pregnant or having periods! Condoms are horrible so the implant is great for people that only sleep with one partner.
Yeah haha. :rofl:

Apparently, it stops sperm, somehow.

Says some stuff on here:
http://www.nhs.uk/Conditions/contraception-guide/Pages/male-pill.aspx

None of these processes sound particularly appealing if I'm honest :h:
Original post by btea
I have a nexplanon implant in my arm and it's one of the best decisions I've made about my body. I don't have to worry about getting pregnant or having periods! Condoms are horrible so the implant is great for people that only sleep with one partner.

Why doesn't everyone just do this? Male contraceptives are terrible :rofl:
Reply 13
Original post by cbreef
Why doesn't everyone just do this? Male contraceptives are terrible :rofl:

Both men and women should be responsible for contraception, in my opinion. Unless you're in a relationship and decide otherwise. Why should it all fall on women?
Original post by btea
Both men and women should be responsible for contraception, in my opinion. Unless you're in a relationship and decide otherwise. Why should it all fall on women?

Because male contraception is ****ing awful.
I had the implant twice and it worked fine for me - very light very infrequent periods and not too many other side effects. I also got on fine with the combined pill but now can't take that as I have had a migraine with an aura.

However, when I stopped hormonal contraception it took about 18 months and some fertility drugs (Clomid) in order to conceive my son, so my fertility clearly isn't normal. I'm now steering clear of hormonal contraception in case we decide we want a second child, but if we decide not to for whatever reason, I'd happily go back on the implant or get a Mirena.
Reply 16
Original post by cbreef
Because male contraception is ****ing awful.

It's still in development but when it gets to the same point as current female contraception, why not?
Original post by catholicgirl
The best method of contraception is KLC (Keep Legs Closed). LOL

Aye hilarious :colonhash:
Original post by btea
It's still in development but when it gets to the same point as current female contraception, why not?

Then yeah sure, provided it doesn't lower the guy's testosterone or hurt in some way.
Original post by cbreef
None of these processes sound particularly appealing if I'm honest :h:

Haha. :rofl: :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest