Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    YAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hehe, I'm kinda hyper lol. I got my mum to be really pushy, so she phoned this one vets that didn't call back yesterday. Anyway, after about passing us on to like 5 different people, I've got some work exp. at a vet practice next week!! Only 5-7 Mon-Fri (only time they can squeeze me in) but I'm psyched nonetheless. I'll have a chance to observe evening consultations, although no ops I guess But better than nothing And I'm going to a riding school in the mornings Mon-Fri too. I'm gonna be busy :p:

P.S. Anyone know what different things I'll observe in the evenings that I wouldn't get to see in the day-time? For eg, anything that will benefit me in furthering my knowledge/getting more of an idea of what being a vet entails? Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    consults at 5-7 are likely to be of the same type of consults as the ones in the morning but more likely to be clients that work during the day and can't come in earlier. It depends where you live and the general demographic of the area. I noticed that in evening consults there were more young professionals etc. whilst in the morning there were more OAPs and mothers.

You could possibly seen some more exotic breeds I suppose, you'll have to see, but there's bound to be alot of interesting things. Remember to keep a diary of everything you've experienced and ask questions so you seem interested! Hope you don't work your self into the ground doing two placements in parallel. Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by earedien)
    consults at 5-7 are likely to be of the same type of consults as the ones in the morning but more likely to be clients that work during the day and can't come in earlier. It depends where you live and the general demographic of the area. I noticed that in evening consults there were more young professionals etc. whilst in the morning there were more OAPs and mothers.

You could possibly seen some more exotic breeds I suppose, you'll have to see, but there's bound to be alot of interesting things. Remember to keep a diary of everything you've experienced and ask questions so you seem interested! Hope you don't work your self into the ground doing two placements in parallel. Good luck!
    Okay, thanks. It's just that I'm writing my separate vet PS right now, and I need to talk about why I'm looking forward to observing evening consultations which I haven't had the chance to do before. I suppose I can simply say that it'll give me more of a variety, and to see what the typical evening rounds are like etc..?

Yes, I'll def. keep a diary, like I did when I went to a vets before. I'm sure I'll be asking tons of questions lol. Yeah, I'll prob. be tired after the week lol, but it'll all be worth it. Thank you

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by city_chic)
    YAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hehe, I'm kinda hyper lol. I got my mum to be really pushy, so she phoned this one vets that didn't call back yesterday. Anyway, after about passing us on to like 5 different people, I've got some work exp. at a vet practice next week!! Only 5-7 Mon-Fri (only time they can squeeze me in) but I'm psyched nonetheless. I'll have a chance to observe evening consultations, although no ops I guess But better than nothing And I'm going to a riding school in the mornings Mon-Fri too. I'm gonna be busy :p:

P.S. Anyone know what different things I'll observe in the evenings that I wouldn't get to see in the day-time? For eg, anything that will benefit me in furthering my knowledge/getting more of an idea of what being a vet entails? Thanks!
    A good point to mention would be that although you won't get to see elective ops like spays, dentals etc. - you may very well get to see emergency ops like caesareans, FB removals, RTAs, dog attack, etc etc.
    The ops you are likely to encounter in the evening will probably be more 'exciting' than the morning ones! Not that you never get emergencies in the morning, it's just that (well around here anyway!) *****es always seem to whelp at about 18.58!:p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Evenstar)
    A good point to mention would be that although you won't get to see elective ops like spays, dentals etc. - you may very well get to see emergency ops like caesareans, FB removals, RTAs, dog attack, etc etc.
    The ops you are likely to encounter in the evening will probably be more 'exciting' than the morning ones! Not that you never get emergencies in the morning, it's just that (well around here anyway!) *****es always seem to whelp at about 18.58!:p:
    Oh, good point; I never thought of that! So would it make sense to say something along the lines of 'I hope to be able to encounter and observe emergency operations and treatment, which I haven't had the chance to do before..?'

ReputationRep:
    Yep! Any evening ops will definitely not be scheduled ones! Also, we tend to get things coming in that really could have done with being seen during the day but the owners were at work.

So on the whole I would definitely say that evening consults are more likely to be interesting than daytime ones!

ReputationRep:
    im really anooyed cos when i did 2 weeks at a vet in year 10 i wrote a really detailed diary, explainign step by step all the procedures i saw done, including stuff like the blood spinning machine and really small things like that. Then we were made to give them into school, and they lost it!

ReputationRep:
    ^ Aww, I would be enraged!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Annaconda)
    im really anooyed cos when i did 2 weeks at a vet in year 10 i wrote a really detailed diary, explainign step by step all the procedures i saw done, including stuff like the blood spinning machine and really small things like that. Then we were made to give them into school, and they lost it!
    Bet you always save a copy of stuff these days though?:p:

ReputationRep:
    i hand wrote it all though i hand write most stuff
    but thats a good point, i may start typing my stuff from now on

ReputationRep:
    ^^The bahstards!!!
    I saw this feline dentistry and it was so horrible it had to be sedated, and even after it was going "Meeooowww" and had a scraggy coat. she only had one tooth left in her head after the op!!
    I saw an excision on a ferret too which was cool for my first op :cool:

ReputationRep:
    ^ Aww, poor kitty lol...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Botticello)
    ^^The bahstards!!!
    I saw this feline dentistry and it was so horrible it had to be sedated, and even after it was going "Meeooowww" and had a scraggy coat. she only had one tooth left in her head after the op!!
    I saw an excision on a ferret too which was cool for my first op :cool:
    Did they not tube the cat and give it gas??:eek: Poor thing

ReputationRep:
    Yes she got tubed, forgot to mention!

ReputationRep:
    just a quick q ...for the uni questionnaires, when asked to give work experience in numbers of week(s) or fraction of a week would you use a 7 day week or use a 5 day working week :s ??

ReputationRep:
    Liverpool ask for exact times/dates of work exp so you have to put it in to the day! Other places are just a rough estimate

ReputationRep:
    Cattery work was quite fun today Saw THE mose adorable kitten there <3

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by city_chic)
    Cattery work was quite fun today Saw THE mose adorable kitten there <3
    Uh oh...you didn't smuggle one home with you, did you?:p:

ReputationRep:
    I saw an unbelievably small one the other week I was like AWWWWWWWWW

ReputationRep:
    I know it keeps being asked again and again but I just want some reassurance from some vetty people! Do you think this is/will be enough work exp?

1 week dog grooming (in half days scattered through out the year !)
    1 week wildlife sanctuary
    1 week large animal/equine vets
    2 weeks small animal vets (ages ago)
    1 week lambing
    1 day dairy farm
    1 day goat farm
    9 months once a week small animal vets
    6 years saturdays at a riding school

I can also possibly get one more week. any suggestions?? All help appreciated lol
    xxxx

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: September 17, 2018

University open days

• University of Bradford
    All faculties Undergraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
  • Buckinghamshire New University
    All Faculties Postgraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
  • Heriot-Watt University
    All Schools Postgraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.