Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Inkie)
    Hey all,

I'm looking to get some more small animal work experience and was wondering whether anyone has and/or would reccomend trying to get some at a cattery? I'm just asking because I imagine that there wouldn't really be much to do, so I'm not sure if it would be beneficial or not.

I don't really know anything at all about cats, and don't come into contact with them much apart from at work (mixed practice vets) so think it would be quite useful and interesting?

Anyone had any experience at catteries?
    I work part time at a cattery (just got back from work in fact) and I love it!
    I did a weeks work experience there last easter and the lady who ran it insisted on paying me, then she called me back at christmas to ask if I wanted a part time job over the holidays so I now go 3 times a week.

Its good in that you get really confident in being around and handling cats. Obviously the majority of work is cleaning runs and emptying litter trays but then I also get to give medication (this morning I had to do eye drops) and grooming etc. I've learnt about the vaccines required for boarding, common diseases of older cats and the common ailments of certain breeds of pedigree cats.

Also on the odd occasion when theres a kitten in I get to play with it

ReputationRep:
    I had the same sort of thing...worked at a cattery for a week then got offered a holiday job! It is a lot of cleaning and feeding etc but theres also the grooming and medicating side of things as well as when you get to go cuddle the cats! Most catteries like workers to make a fuss of the cats because they would normally be used to all the attention at home so it's good for them.

If you prefer more hands on work with cats, why dont you try cats protection? In essence they are just large catteries but obviously you have a lot of work getting timid cats used to contact so they can be rehomed, regular vet check ups, admitting and checking out etc and theres always plenty to do in the maternity wing! The national centre is in Haywards Heath, West Sussex but there are centres all over the UK

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by givvy)
    I work part time at a cattery (just got back from work in fact) and I love it!
    I did a weeks work experience there last easter and the lady who ran it insisted on paying me, then she called me back at christmas to ask if I wanted a part time job over the holidays so I now go 3 times a week.

Its good in that you get really confident in being around and handling cats. Obviously the majority of work is cleaning runs and emptying litter trays but then I also get to give medication (this morning I had to do eye drops) and grooming etc. I've learnt about the vaccines required for boarding, common diseases of older cats and the common ailments of certain breeds of pedigree cats.

Also on the odd occasion when theres a kitten in I get to play with it
    Thanks for the info!

I just wanted info on what sort of things would be required/whether there'd be enough to get involved in, so that's really helpful!

I'll definately try and get in touch with a cattery.. :yep: sounds fun!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by joshygab)
    It's just that you would not believe how hard I've been trying to get more weeks at vets - well you know how they can be...
    Yea, its hard sometimes, with one of my palcements I'd gone though what must have been 10 practises before finding one that would take me. Just keep at it and pester them with letters and then a follow up phone call and you should get luck eventually.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Inkie)
    Thanks for the info!

I just wanted info on what sort of things would be required/whether there'd be enough to get involved in, so that's really helpful!

I'll definately try and get in touch with a cattery.. :yep: sounds fun!
    I would however prioritise kennels over a cattery, or ideally somewhere that's both!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by OllyH)
    I would however prioritise kennels over a cattery, or ideally somewhere that's both!
    Yep. I already have a few years of kennels lol- my parents run one. I do have weeks booked elsewhere though. :p:

I was thinking the RSPCA might be good for cats and dogs, or Cats Protection, as tinytiger said. Might be hard to get placements though.

Thanks for all the advice!

ReputationRep:
    One thing I would advise anyone to give a go, is indoor pigs.

It's different,
    Not alot of applicants have it, so you stand out more
    It's very hands on
    You'll get to do all sorts of things, from AI to injecting lame sows.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Transatlanticdrawl_)

It's different,
    It's very hands on
    Out of interest, Taddy-Boy, how did you find your indoor piggy placement? Was it asking vets or...?
    I've worked outdoors with pigs but the differences between the two are something I'd have liked to have gotten some experience of. I asked around but there didn't seem to be any units 'round here

ReputationRep:
    A guy who I'd done some beef cattle work with knew about them, I just rang up and they said yeah fine. There's very little vet involvement at indoors cos lames just get shot. But there's loads of hands on to do. We have about 10 indoor ones all around here owned by one guy so I just got lucky I suppose, location-wise

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Transatlanticdrawl_)

It's different,
    It's very hands on
    I've got 2 weeks at a indoor pig place in the summer hols. :yep: Can't wait. They're massive on biosecurity- have to shower in and out etc. but still should be good.

Been lambing today. Anyone got any tips for getting iodine off skin? :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Inkie)
    Tesco's lemon flavoured detergent!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by OllyH)
    Tesco's lemon flavoured detergent!
    I might give it a go! :p: Cheers.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Inkie)
    I've got 2 weeks at a indoor pig place in the summer hols. :yep: Can't wait. They're massive on biosecurity- have to shower in and out etc. but still should be good.

Yeah all the ones I've been too are like that with the showering in and out. As well as no pork products in your dinner :ninja:

Cant help with the iodine thing. Mine are perma-stained :|

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Inkie)

i've found that it generally comes off during the day by itself.. can't be bothered with obsessive hand scrubbing trying to get it off lol

ReputationRep:
    Iodine is nowhere near as bad as silver nitrate :ninja:

ReputationRep:
    Oooh that stuff is a pain!

ReputationRep:
    ok, another quick question

If say i did 2 weeks at vet surgeries before the interview and another one afterwards would the one I did afterwards count for much, ie/ would they see that as 3 weeks experience?

I'll already have the 2 previous weeks to discuss at interview soo...

cheers for the help by the way.

ReputationRep:
    It depends really. Your example would be ok.

So for example, like you just said, 2 weeks of something prior to interview (ie you've done it and know a bit about it) with then "Oh and I'm going back for another week soon", is ok.

But also for example, have 3 weeks of something booked and having done none of it before interview, isn't as good. Try not to do the second example too much. I did it once, for lambing, which was booked for after interviews.

ReputationRep:
    yeah ive got lambing booked for next year as well, lambing and one week vet, but ive got everything else organised for before, other vets, farm, zoo, cattery, horses, so I should have enough material to work with.
    Brilliant, sorted. Thanks for the help

ReputationRep:
    Sometimes if you tell them on your PS that you've booked this and that work experience and have completed it before the interview they won't ask about it in the interview! I had this, my LA vet experience and full-time job as a vet nurse were ignored in the interview because I hadn't completed it before sending my application. Just another thing to consider..

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: September 17, 2018

University open days

• Southampton Solent University
    All faculties Undergraduate
    Sun, 18 Nov '18
  • University of Bradford
    All faculties Undergraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
  • Buckinghamshire New University
    All Faculties Postgraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.