The Student Room Group

The big and shiny work experience bible

Scroll to see replies

They like stuff quite recent. Recently if you're only done equine, SA and exotics, this is good but a bit cushy, ideally you'd need to get some dirty stuff like dairy, lambing, perhaps pigs poultry that sort of thing (pain as it sounds, cos you've already done it I know, but I think the unis dont count stuff when it's like 12 years ago, that's abit long)
Reply 501
Has anyone ever worked at an auction mart before?

There's a big one near my bus route and I'm thinking of applying, but I'm not sure what the work would entail (and I'm an eensy bit scared of massive mart men). =P Anyone?
Reply 502
Hi there!

If you're looking for a large animal vet placement, pm me! I know three practices who need help in august or in july.
Also if you know the medivet group, I know severals SA practice who needs help too.
Please feel free to pm me :wink:
Has anyone worked at a cattery here? I've done kennels and contemplating that as a summer job but considering cattery if there are none going for the kennels. I think cats would be more peaceful to work with! Any tips/insights?
Botticello
Has anyone worked at a cattery here? I've done kennels and contemplating that as a summer job but considering cattery if there are none going for the kennels. I think cats would be more peaceful to work with! Any tips/insights?

I was more wary of the cats I worked with, but its definately more peaceful unless the cats decide to fight ! Its a lot easier and cleaner too. :smile:.
skatealexia
I was more wary of the cats I worked with, but its definitely more peaceful unless the cats decide to fight ! Its a lot easier and cleaner too. :smile:.

Thats true, but a disadvantage there'd be less fun things to do like walking and playing with them. Do they tend to be well paid or does it depend completely on the place?
Reply 506
Personally I got paid about £3.40 an hour when I worked at the cattery. The work was mostly cleaning and catching cats when someone let them out by accident. My place wasn't that great though, they let just about anyone work there so there were a bunch of young girls just messing around.
It really must depend on the place though. I think I got the short straw haha. :yep:
Botticello
Thats true, but a disadvantage there'd be less fun things to do like walking and playing with them. Do they tend to be well paid or does it depend completely on the place?

Depends I believe.
skatealexia
Depends I believe.

I've got the job :biggrin: :biggrin: Well, Im doing a few hours on monday to see if I get on with it but I'm sure it'll be fine. Its £5.something per hour because im 19.
Botticello
I've got the job :biggrin: :biggrin: Well, Im doing a few hours on monday to see if I get on with it but I'm sure it'll be fine. Its £5.something per hour because im 19.

Congrats!!!
Thanking you. Loving the flareon too :smile:
Hey... I'm gonna do like everyone else and list my work experience in the hope that one of you immensely kind and patient people will tell me what you think..

2.5 weeks Small Animal Vet
2 weeks mixed Public Farm
2 weeks Zoo, mainly tigers/primates
1 day Sheep Hill Farm
2 days at RAVC Headquarters

Booked for the summer and October half term
1 week at a different small animal practice
1 week Riding Stables.

The only large animal Vet within public transport / walking / cycling distance is the one wher I did my small animal and they have a policy not to accept work experience students, only Vet Students seeing practice.

I'm Lower Sixth [Year 12] and as such will be applying this October.
Thanks
ClaireW2708
Hey... I'm gonna do like everyone else and list my work experience in the hope that one of you immensely kind and patient people will tell me what you think..

1 day Sheep Hill Farm

1 week Riding Stables.

The only large animal Vet within public transport / walking / cycling distance is the one wher I did my small animal and they have a policy not to accept work experience students, only Vet Students seeing practice.

Thanks

thats not really much, only about 7 weeks, and bear in mind lots of people will surpass liverpools requirements of 10 weeks.
where abouts do you live? maybe some people on here could help you with LA vets.
how far are you willing to travel, you may have to extend that area a bit. i frequently spent 1.5 hours travelling each way to get to placements
ClaireW2708

1 day Sheep Hill Farm

1 week Riding Stables.

Thanks

It's a good start, although I would get a kennels or rescue shelter- something with dogs/cats anyways, and get out on a real farm, either dairy, pigs, lambing, whatever really.
Also you want at least 4 weeks vet really, so either a week with an LA vet or an equine vet would probably be helpful.

Like Annaconda says, if you have to travel/go stay with friends/relatives to get experience then do, cos it'll all be worth it in the end, and it's what the uni's expect.

Good luck!
ClaireW2708

1 day Sheep Hill Farm

1 week Riding Stables.

Thanks

This is similar to what I had first time. Ideally you want stuff like Lambing/calving, dairy, possibly pigs, possibly something else dirty farm style like poultry or goat dairy, beef, LA vets if poss, and try abattoir. All the dirty stuff.

As I say alot on here, stuff like SA vets, equine, riding, exotics, are all good and part of the picture, but abit cushy, you also want some of the above farm stuffe
Thanks guys.
I've stayed with friends, relatives and strangers to get this, unfortunately I live on a peninsular which adds at least an hour to most journey times. Evidently I will not be applying to Liverpool, aside from the work experience issue I just didn't like it much there.
Farm stuff - the farm I was at had a small dairy herd, pigs, sheep and a lot of poultry all of which I got involved in and less of the public stuff.
Is calving year round? ie will I be able to get some in the summer/october as clearly lambing is out for this year, and I'm applying in October.
If anyone is willing to help me find a placement/ suggest somewhere, I live near Portsmouth, in Gosport. I have an aunt in Cumnor near Oxford and grandparents on the Isle of Wight.
Oh one other thing - would I be better getting the booked week of SA vet or going to kennels/cattery if I can only fit in one?

Unfortunately my summer is already looking packed, with 3 weeks of sailing as well as work exp to fit into the 5-6 weeks we have.
Reply 516
ClaireW2708
Thanks guys.
I've stayed with friends, relatives and strangers to get this, unfortunately I live on a peninsular which adds at least an hour to most journey times. Evidently I will not be applying to Liverpool, aside from the work experience issue I just didn't like it much there.
Farm stuff - the farm I was at had a small dairy herd, pigs, sheep and a lot of poultry all of which I got involved in and less of the public stuff.
Is calving year round? ie will I be able to get some in the summer/october as clearly lambing is out for this year, and I'm applying in October.
If anyone is willing to help me find a placement/ suggest somewhere, I live near Portsmouth, in Gosport. I have an aunt in Cumnor near Oxford and grandparents on the Isle of Wight.
Oh one other thing - would I be better getting the booked week of SA vet or going to kennels/cattery if I can only fit in one?

Unfortunately my summer is already looking packed, with 3 weeks of sailing as well as work exp to fit into the 5-6 weeks we have.

You live in Gosport right? Yeah, that's not convenient, but the train is your friend :smile: Can you drive yet?
Yes, calving is year round and you definitely should get some dairy. I know you said there was a small dairy herd at the public farm, but it's very different to a farm where there is hundreds or thousands even of the same animal, where it is significantly more dirty and more like a 'proper' farm.
There's also a pig farm in Funtington (I always spell that wrong!) which is your side of Chichester (assuming you know where that is). They take work experience, and it's huuuuuge, I can give you their contacts if you want? I did get recommended to the guy from the guy I did lambing with, so he might want to interview you or something, whilst I've never met him! If he's anything like the sheep farmer he's friends with, it will be a result, because he was lovely.

Can you get time off school for work experience? That's what I'm doing, my school is supportive. I'm sure if they asked, and you explained how vital it is, then they'll let you, because, in all honestly, most serious applicants will have more experience that than, and will have reached Liverpool's minimum.
Reply 517
steph_v
You live in Gosport right? Yeah, that's not convenient, but the train is your friend :smile: Can you drive yet?
Yes, calving is year round and you definitely should get some dairy. I know you said there was a small dairy herd at the public farm, but it's very different to a farm where there is hundreds or thousands even of the same animal, where it is significantly more dirty and more like a 'proper' farm.
There's also a pig farm in Funtington (I always spell that wrong!) which is your side of Chichester (assuming you know where that is). They take work experience, and it's huuuuuge, I can give you their contacts if you want? I did get recommended to the guy from the guy I did lambing with, so he might want to interview you or something, whilst I've never met him! If he's anything like the sheep farmer he's friends with, it will be a result, because he was lovely.

Can you get time off school for work experience? That's what I'm doing, my school is supportive. I'm sure if they asked, and you explained how vital it is, then they'll let you, because, in all honestly, most serious applicants will have more experience that than, and will have reached Liverpool's minimum.

Lawlz lawlz lawlz. Have never heard anyone refer to Gosport as a peninsular ever! Far too posh for Gosport!
Am in the middle of a very short lunch break at the minute but will try and give you some pointers when I get home. I live in Fareham and have lived in Gosport so hopefully I'll be of some use to you. We'll see.
Reply 518
emilyyy
Lawlz lawlz lawlz. Have never heard anyone refer to Gosport as a peninsular ever! Far too posh for Gosport!
Am in the middle of a very short lunch break at the minute but will try and give you some pointers when I get home. I live in Fareham and have lived in Gosport so hopefully I'll be of some use to you. We'll see.

Did you mean to quote me? :tongue:
Reply 519
ClaireW2708
Thanks guys.

see if you can miss the last week or so of school... you dont tend to do much work in that time anyway and it's give you a little bit more time to play with for w/e
definately go for the idea of a long term placement at a kennels or vets or something, the uni's think it shows commitment coz working somewhere for a long time is definately different to just doing it for a week or two

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending