The Student Room Group

The big and shiny work experience bible

Scroll to see replies

steph_v
You live in Gosport right? Yeah, that's not convenient, but the train is your friend :smile: Can you drive yet?
Yes, calving is year round and you definitely should get some dairy. I know you said there was a small dairy herd at the public farm, but it's very different to a farm where there is hundreds or thousands even of the same animal, where it is significantly more dirty and more like a 'proper' farm.
There's also a pig farm in Funtington (I always spell that wrong!) which is your side of Chichester (assuming you know where that is). They take work experience, and it's huuuuuge, I can give you their contacts if you want? I did get recommended to the guy from the guy I did lambing with, so he might want to interview you or something, whilst I've never met him! If he's anything like the sheep farmer he's friends with, it will be a result, because he was lovely.

Can you get time off school for work experience? That's what I'm doing, my school is supportive. I'm sure if they asked, and you explained how vital it is, then they'll let you, because, in all honestly, most serious applicants will have more experience that than, and will have reached Liverpool's minimum.

I do indeed. Gotta love it :| Yeah I figured I'd have to train it most places, can't drive as I'm the youngest in the year so will be a while yet - i'm still not 17.
I'd love that contact if its ok, thanks.I can't get time off school;; we did 2 weeks in year 11 and any more has to be in my own time. But they are letting me go to Vetsim.
Thanks for your advice

emilyy
About Gosport being a peninsular..
I know it sounded a bit fancy, but I didn't fancy trying to explain the dump that is Gosport and it is one :wink:

starfall
see if you can miss the last week or so of school... you dont tend to do much work in that time anyway and it's give you a little bit more time to play with for w/e

I would, but Vetsim is the 2nd to last week, and we'redoing our D of E Gold the last week. But thanks! I'd go long term if I could [and I'll still look into it] but I work all day Saturday and I do need some time to do my college work xD
Reply 521
Ahaha. Totally didn't. Oops! Told you I was in a rush :wink:

That quote was for Claire.

(And I'm guessing, Claire, that the LA vet you were on about is Animed up in Wickham?)
emilyyy

(And I'm guessing, Claire, that the LA vet you were on about is Animed up in Wickham?)

Yup :smile: I went there for SA but they said they don't take work exp for the LA side of it.
Reply 523
OK so I'm having a mini-panic... how much work exp did everyone do (or currently has planned) in the summer after their GCSEs? I wanted to do loads, but after weeks of ringing every farming establishment north of Liverpool, I have a grand total of 3 weeks planned. :s-smilie: Gosh, w/e stresses me out no end.. :p:

Also, for those who don't have a car- how do you get to all these placements? I've considered dusting off the old bike but most of these places are too far to feasibly cycle to in the early hours of the morning, and I have a feeling the parental taxi won't be too chuffed at driving me all over Northern England. Farms on bus routes seem to be like gold dust?
um tbh im not sure ive ever done work experience in the summer holidays before. depending on how much else you have, 3 weeks sounds enough.
i havent been to farms but i get combinations of multiple trains/buses. up to 2 changes i say is my limit
Reply 525
surfait
OK so I'm having a mini-panic... how much work exp did everyone do (or currently has planned) in the summer after their GCSEs? I wanted to do loads, but after weeks of ringing every farming establishment north of Liverpool, I have a grand total of 3 weeks planned. :s-smilie: Gosh, w/e stresses me out no end.. :p:

Also, for those who don't have a car- how do you get to all these placements? I've considered dusting off the old bike but most of these places are too far to feasibly cycle to in the early hours of the morning, and I have a feeling the parental taxi won't be too chuffed at driving me all over Northern England. Farms on bus routes seem to be like gold dust?

I didn't do loads in that summer. I got a job at kennels after doing a week work experience at the start. I did a week at a Wildlife Hospital. I did a week at an agricultural college in the Exotics section. I also went to stables a few times. So only four separate placements.

I managed to get placements reasonably close. The kennels my parents were happy to take me to, because it's like 10 minutes drive away. I can't really walk it (tried it once, took over an hour because of the crazy terrain) as it's on a really busy main road. The Wildlife hospital I blagged a ride with a regular volunteer there, and the argicultural college was right near a train station (cost a small fortune to get there though).

You could always get the bus close to it, but take your bike so you could cycle the rest of the way. Just an idea.
I used parents as taxi for a few things
For one farm placement I got a lift up there and stayed on the farm for a week
For everything else i'd passed my test and bought my grandmas old car off her by this point, gets you from A to B :woo:

I did a long post once about my full journey between knowing I'd been rejected first time, and getting my second offer, including all the work ex I'd done in between. I can dig this post out if you want, let me know
surfait

im pretty sure i just carried on with my job at the cattery. its probably easisest to get work exp in the summer after yr 12 if you have passed your driving test and have a car or can borrow a car. you can try farms in different parts of the county and stay in hostels or b and bs or see if they offer accom though.
Reply 528
Yeah thanks for the advice. It just seems so last minute to leave it all to the summer before the application has to be sent. Just in case I don't get anything, but I'm probably just being paranoid. :smile:
Reply 529
surfait
Yeah thanks for the advice. It just seems so last minute to leave it all to the summer before the application has to be sent. Just in case I don't get anything, but I'm probably just being paranoid. :smile:

There's still October half term, Christmas, Feb half term and Easter to do stuff in aswell.
Reply 530
steph_v
There's still October half term, Christmas, Feb half term and Easter to do stuff in aswell.

I know. :p: I'm just really fabulous at stressing out over things. And now GCSEs are over it's left a big gap in my constant need to worry.
Reply 531
Hey there I need some help about what to wear at work experience please...
At a vet practice they told me to "maintain a tidy and professional appearance" , what does that mean? What am I asked to wear more precisely ?
Thank youu :smile:
Lex37
Hey there I need some help about what to wear at work experience please...
At a vet practice they told me to "maintain a tidy and professional appearance" , what does that mean? What am I asked to wear more precisely ?
Thank youu :smile:

I don't think it really matters too much what you wear- make sure it's something you feel comfortable in, and bear in mind that it's possible it may get blood/sick/poo/animal hair on it at some point. If they say a professional appearance then I would imagine it would be best not to wear jeans- maybe just some smart trousers and a shirt or plain t shirt? And they might expect you to keep your hair tidied back out of the way/nails short/not go in covered in piercings, that type of thing. I'm sure they won't turn you away as long as you've made some kind of effort!

I always used to turn up in whatever, but my vets were pretty laid back.
i would say something like black jeans and a polo shirt is your safest bet for the first day at least, then you can see what the other people wear or if anyone comments or anything, cos it looks presentable but without being too smart or impractical
Is anybody, like me, struggling to get dairy work experience? I was hoping to get away with my beef cattle work but at the Langford openday I was informed by admissions people that no, beef cattle is no substitute for dairy :frown: . Now all I can do is get some dairy work planned as all 6 weeks of my summer are full. Do you think that will be ok?
I notice you live in Lincolnshire. I travelled from Lincolnshire up to NYorkshire for mine, there's quite abit up there, worth a go
i got an interview at liverpool without any dairy or beef, but i think im a bit of an exception
Reply 537
I would say that as long as you've got it planned, and have had some bovine experience, you'll be just about ok. Try and get the experience done as soon as possible though, so that you're enabled to talk about it at any potential interviews.
Thanks! I have just got hold of two possible dairy farms close by. So I'm am gonna try and get some there, possibly in october half term before interviews!
Reply 539
Sounds like a very good plan to me :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending