Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    thank you for your advices about what to wear !
    I'm sorry but I've got another question for you ... I'm currently in a dairy farm and I do only milkings ...what do you reckon ? Am I supposed to do anything else linked with the farm except milkings ? Thank you for your testimonials !

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lex37)
    thank you for your advices about what to wear !
    I'm sorry but I've got another question for you ... I'm currently in a dairy farm and I do only milkings ...what do you reckon ? Am I supposed to do anything else linked with the farm except milkings ? Thank you for your testimonials !
    Well milkings is the main thing you'll get from dairy, do they have any calves where you are? Cos sometimes you can do things such as feeding calves but also things such as cleaning out barns, bedding down pens, washing down the parlour and possibly general farm maintenance. Also try and be there if a vet comes to visit at all, thats always good to watch. But the main thing is definitely milking. Hope that helps

ReputationRep:
    All I really did when I did dairy was the rouding up, milking, cleaning up, and then there were loads of vet visits to help with. There was basically no beds to do or anything because everything was out, so it was just checking on fields and rigging up electric fences, thas about it. Alot of days I managed to get revision done between like 10am - 2pm as I was staying over there and it was so so close to exams. Other days vet was there alot of the day so I didn't, it just varied.

ReputationRep:
    I actually barely did any milking when I did my dairy work, it was mostly bedding up, feeding, cleaning troughs, stomach tubing calves etc. The milk parlour was really tempermental and small, so there wasn't much room for me and the guy doing it to be in there. The farmer also took me to another farm for a presentation about different types of milking parlours he was interested in buying and a talk by a vet; it was very interesting.

Even if you're 'just' milking, you'll still get to see the way the farm works and everything, which is a big part of the work experience. You'll definitely not get penalized for it!

ReputationRep:
    yes it's my first farm work experience so actually I was afraid of getting penalized for doing only milking! but I'm in a small farm, there's only a hundred of cows, so I just don't know whatelse can I do .. but I think I will ask to the farmer directly !

ReputationRep:
    I started work experience at a kennel today, and all I did was clean things with bleach (now my hands look like raw meat) and scoop poop. What did you guys do when you were at kennels? Anything more productive? I'm hoping it will get better tomorrow... But I don't want to waste an entire week just cleaning up dog poop, because that hardly counts as valuable work experience. So... Anyone willing to share their experiences?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Loup-Garoux)
    I started work experience at a kennel today, and all I did was clean things with bleach (now my hands look like raw meat) and scoop poop. What did you guys do when you were at kennels? Anything more productive? I'm hoping it will get better tomorrow... But I don't want to waste an entire week just cleaning up dog poop, because that hardly counts as valuable work experience. So... Anyone willing to share their experiences?
    That's a large part of working at the kennels. I work at a local one part time, and did a weeks work exp there. Though, don't you get to take them out into the field(s) for walks? The most useful thing in terms of work experience was dealing with the dogs that get nervous/aggressive when you go in and just generally handling a large variety of sizes/shapes of dogs. Also, I occasionally bath/brush dogs in their grooming bit, but I only do very basic jobs there because you obviously need to be experienced/trained to do it well.
    I suppose you could also say large periods of mundane repetitive work is good character building :P

Plus, if the owner breeds a certain breed of dog or something it's an interesting area to talk about.

ReputationRep:
    I get that it's a large part of working at kennels, but that was all I did. They don't even walk their boarders, so I can't help there. I barely even came close to an animal |: excluding the kennel's resident cat. So the animal husbandry side of it isn't looking too promising at the moment xD

But thanks for replying (: I'll have to look elsewhere for work experience if I don't get near a dog tomorrow >.>

ReputationRep:
    I get that it's a large part of working at kennels, but that was all I did. They don't even walk their boarders, so I can't help there. I barely even came close to an animal |: excluding the kennel's resident cat. So the animal husbandry side of it isn't looking too promising at the moment xD

But thanks for replying (: I'll have to look elsewhere for work experience if I don't get near a dog tomorrow >.>
    I'd stick with it for a week, you're always going to have the chance of getting a bad placement and part of the learning experience is putting up with it. Maybe you'll be given more responsibility once you've done a couple of days, or maybe you could ask to see a certain area, like how the dogs are walked.

ReputationRep:
    All I did at the kennels was scoop poo, and walk dogs. Over and over again all day. It's so boring but you might aswell just push through it

ReputationRep:
    You may as well finish it. In life, there are things you have to do that you don't want to, it's character building. I didn't get a lot of animal contact when I did my kennel work experience, mostly because the kennel owner was very safety conscious and didn't want me to get bitten or whatever. However, now I work there part time, it's much better, and I actually love my job, and I'm gutted I might have to quit it
    Is there a rescue aspect of your kennels? That is the most valuable part of the experience for me, I think, because I get to socialize some dogs, train/handle puppies and generally just spend a lot of time with them to check what sort of home would be suitable for them. I love it when we have puppies in
    Another good thing about kennels is observing what's 'normal' in certain dog breeds. Kennel work has opened my eyes to some of the stupid things we do to dogs to 'improve' their appearance at the cost of their health. Also, I get a lot of medication to administer, and lots of people to show round and generally talk to.
    Yes, you have to move a lot of ****, but it's not all bad, usually.

ReputationRep:
    Personally when I worked at a cattery most of my work involved cleaning, but there were occasions when I was catching cats which had slipped through a door or generally handling them. It was nice, because it made me feel a lot more comfortable with handling new cats.
    And may I add that some aspects of being a vet (I'm thinking small animal) will be repetitive too. It's good to become used to doing repetitive work so that you can deal with doing it in the future, if that makes sense (not saying that it's a boring job at all, but some aspects you'll be dealing with every day).

You can ignore my post if you want, it looks like gibberish to me haha.

ReputationRep:
    that is practically all i did at my kennels. but i also fed them, which involved slight contact, and held some puppies while their cages were being cleaned, but that was it. none of the dogs got walked.
    i was really looking forward to it as well, cos it was a training kennels i thought there would be something good to learn there, but there wasnt.

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys.

Can you tell me what you think of my work experience please?

Completed:
    2 weeks in a mixed vets practice
    1 weeks dog resue centre
    2 weeks lambing
    3-4 days with beef cattle
    2 years on going at an exotic animal refuge
    1 year on going at mixed practice
    1 year on going at falconry centre
    1 day at an abbatoir

Will be completed by application:
    2 weeks at pig/poultry farm
    2 weeks at a small animal practice
    2 weeks at a competition stables

Planned after application:
    2 weeks at dairy farm
    (Probably more lambing at the same place next year too)

I'm in year 12 and so will will be applying this october. I intend to apply to liverpool. So what do you guys think?

ReputationRep:
    um well thats loads, assuming you have those things actually booked then theres nothing else you need that i can think of

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Talon19921992)
    Hi guys.

Can you tell me what you think of my work experience please?

Completed:
    2 weeks in a mixed vets practice
    1 weeks dog resue centre
    2 weeks lambing
    3-4 days with beef cattle
    2 years on going at an exotic animal refuge
    1 year on going at mixed practice
    1 year on going at falconry centre
    1 day at an abbatoir

Will be completed by application:
    2 weeks at pig/poultry farm
    2 weeks at a small animal practice
    2 weeks at a competition stables

Planned after application:
    2 weeks at dairy farm
    (Probably more lambing at the same place next year too)

I'm in year 12 and so will will be applying this october. I intend to apply to liverpool. So what do you guys think?
    I hope you don't just apply to Liverpool lol. I don't know if it's just the way you've written it, but you do know you can apply to 4 right? or were you referring to their minimum w/e quota?

Anyway congrats that's very good. Just make sure you take notes and learn as much as you can from these places, as well as asking lots of questions, and you'll be in a good position.

Where in Lincs you live? North/South/etcetera

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Annaconda)
    that is practically all i did at my kennels. but i also fed them, which involved slight contact, and held some puppies while their cages were being cleaned, but that was it. none of the dogs got walked.
    i was really looking forward to it as well, cos it was a training kennels i thought there would be something good to learn there, but there wasnt.
    they didnt get walked :eek: at the kennels i work at, the dogs get let out for 10-15 mins in the morning whilst their kennels are cleaned then they get put out for at least 15 mins in the afternoon (in a big enclosed paddock) and some of the big bouncy ones get extra long walkies if there's time

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by starfall)
    they didnt get walked :eek: at the kennels i work at, the dogs get let out for 10-15 mins in the morning whilst their kennels are cleaned then they get put out for at least 15 mins in the afternoon (in a big enclosed paddock) and some of the big bouncy ones get extra long walkies if there's time
    nope. they all have tiny outside bits, so they were **** outside when we cleaned the inside and vice versa. the ones being trained obviously got let out for that, but as far as i saw most of them were kept in the whole time, so they all had way too much energy. they also overbooked cos the owners cared too much about money so they had to double up dogs that had never met before!

but the kennels where we take my dog is amazing, they get let out into the courtyard/mini field thing for a couple of short runs a day.

ReputationRep:
    No sorry, of course I'm applying to 4 uni's (Liverpool, RVC, Bristol, and cambridge) i was referring to the liv minimum amount.

I have also been keeping notes about what I've learned for revision pre-interview, so there is no chance of me forgetting valuble interview fodder!

I'm in the very south of Lincs, most of the farms around here are arable, so it was a nightmare getting farm work. But I think I've covered the main areas (pigs, poultry, sheep (lambing), beef cattle and dairy will be, as it's planned).

Obviously with summer totally full I can not get any more work experience before I apply but can anybody think of anything else I could perhaps get planned to increase my chances? Refer to my post higher up the thread to view completed and planned w/e.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Talon19921992)
    No sorry, of course I'm applying to 4 uni's (Liverpool, RVC, Bristol, and cambridge) i was referring to the liv minimum amount.

I have also been keeping notes about what I've learned for revision pre-interview, so there is no chance of me forgetting valuble interview fodder!

I'm in the very south of Lincs, most of the farms around here are arable, so it was a nightmare getting farm work. But I think I've covered the main areas (pigs, poultry, sheep (lambing), beef cattle and dairy will be, as it's planned).

Obviously with summer totally full I can not get any more work experience before I apply but can anybody think of anything else I could perhaps get planned to increase my chances? Refer to my post higher up the thread to view completed and planned w/e.
    theyre the same ones i applied to last year! your the first person ive seen with the same combination

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: September 17, 2018

University open days

• Heriot-Watt University
    School of Textiles and Design Undergraduate
    Fri, 16 Nov '18
  • University of Roehampton
    All departments Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
  • Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.