Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mydearthing)
    Was wondering whether anybody else who has had experience of begging vet practices for work experience would mind having a quick look over my cover letter? I'm not sure if I'm not being pushy enough.

Any help much appreciated! :p:
    Go into the places yourself, it's a lot harder to say no to a person than a letter. Phone them up after you've given in a letter, too. You just have to be polite, but firm.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by steph_v)
    Go into the places yourself, it's a lot harder to say no to a person than a letter. Phone them up after you've given in a letter, too. You just have to be polite, but firm.
    Thanks. I am planning on phoning them within two days or so of sending the letter. I'm also sending a brief C.V. and a school reference; my hope being that if I blast them with the full works they can't say no. :p:

My only reservation about going in in person is that I have absolutely no connection with the practice at all, so I'd feel a little awkward. When I've introduced myself in person before, it's always been easier to say, 'Hi, I'm --- and we've met before through ---' . I just thought a letter was a more formal introduction.

:p:

ReputationRep:
    Thanks. I am planning on phoning them within two days or so of sending the letter. I'm also sending a brief C.V. and a school reference; my hope being that if I blast them with the full works they can't say no. :p:

My only reservation about going in in person is that I have absolutely no connection with the practice at all, so I'd feel a little awkward. When I've introduced myself in person before, it's always been easier to say, 'Hi, I'm --- and we've met before through ---' . I just thought a letter was a more formal introduction.

:p:

What I used to do was go in with a letter and brief CV and say something along the lines of "Hello, my name is Steph and I was wondering if you take work experience students because I'm interested in studying vet medicine at university blahblah. I've got a letter with contact details blah blah blah." If you've done any other work experience, mention that in your letter so they know you're serious. Then phone them a few days later to remind them.

Make sure when you go in it's not really busy (try going in sort of mid afternoon) otherwise they'll be too bogged down with clients and stuff to actually think about your request. I think I went to about 15 places in person (travelled a lot, haha) and only two said yes. But it's worth it because I know go to one of them once a week and have done so for a year. I went for a week at the other place too. Once you go to one place, the others just seem to fall into place if you use networking.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by steph_v)
    What I used to do was go in with a letter and brief CV and say something along the lines of "Hello, my name is Steph and I was wondering if you take work experience students because I'm interested in studying vet medicine at university blahblah. I've got a letter with contact details blah blah blah." If you've done any other work experience, mention that in your letter so they know you're serious. Then phone them a few days later to remind them.

Make sure when you go in it's not really busy (try going in sort of mid afternoon) otherwise they'll be too bogged down with clients and stuff to actually think about your request. I think I went to about 15 places in person (travelled a lot, haha) and only two said yes. But it's worth it because I know go to one of them once a week and have done so for a year. I went for a week at the other place too. Once you go to one place, the others just seem to fall into place if you use networking.

That's a good line. Thanks for the advice.

ReputationRep:
    I don't mind. PM me if you want. I used the same generic letter every time I asked anyone, and just edited the name of the practice lol

ReputationRep:
    Was wondering whether anybody else who has had experience of begging vet practices for work experience would mind having a quick look over my cover letter? I'm not sure if I'm not being pushy enough.

Any help much appreciated! :p:
    I've found that it's good to ring a practice up before sending them a wheedling letter - for one thing it makes you seem keener, and sometimes you can get them to provisionally book you a place over the phone. Or not! Some places don't actually provide work experience placements - they'll tell you immediately over the phone, but may not even respond to letters. This saves so much time and effort.
    I also got into the habit of asking who to address my letters to, which I think gets them processed more quickly, or at least looks better than "to whom it may concern"...

Your letters don't need to be really long or even that pushy. I'd mention how determined you are to become a vet, as well as a little bit of the experience you already have - this can even be just talking about how you are responsible for your pets. Practices want to have work experience students who are interested and willing to help out.

If you do want me to read-through your cover letter I'd be happy to, just PM me.

ReputationRep:
    I was just wondering, I have both dairy farm and lambing booked after my application will be sent off but havent completed any before, The dairy will be before interview, unless for some reason i had one of the really early interviews, but the lambing would be after interview. Do you think this will be a problem? I have quite a good range of other experience.

ReputationRep:
    When is early? Bristol can interview as early as November, others can be December/January early.

It's good youve got at least one of them before interview, because it's good to talk about stuff like that at interview, can you can learn alot from those placements. I had lambing booked well after interviews and offers would take place, and it wasn't a problem. As long as you've got other stuff done to talk about.

ReputationRep:
    I think its the first week of december, i would need to check that, so hopefully it will be in before interview. thanks

ReputationRep:
    hey guys in need of help!
    I'm on a gap year and in the middle of my application now
    I'm sorting out some work experience to put on but I'm having trouble finding farm work
    I've currently got:
    4 weeks at alder vets (SA)
    5 weeks Shetland rescue an volunteering on day a week since the middle of august
    1 week wheathill stables & livery yard
    3 weeks RSPCA
    1week farmer teds
    6 months one day a week at a stables when I was 12

I've got organized:
    1week leahurst (LA)
    2 week boarding kennels & cattery

I'm hoping to go back to farmer teds for an extra week too

I'm having trouble finding lambing or dairy placements, does anyone know of anywer that will take me and also me able to pit me up for the week (willing to pay) as I can't find anywhere in the Liverpool area

Do you think the rest of my work experience will be enough for Liverpool Uni?
    • Community Assistant
    • PS Helper
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    PS Helper
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by Chloe25)
    hey guys in need of help!
    I'm on a gap year and in the middle of my application now
    I'm sorting out some work experience to put on but I'm having trouble finding farm work
    I've currently got:
    4 weeks at alder vets (SA)
    5 weeks Shetland rescue an volunteering on day a week since the middle of august
    1 week wheathill stables & livery yard
    3 weeks RSPCA
    1week farmer teds
    6 months one day a week at a stables when I was 12

I've got organized:
    1week leahurst (LA)
    2 week boarding kennels & cattery

I'm hoping to go back to farmer teds for an extra week too

I'm having trouble finding lambing or dairy placements, does anyone know of anywer that will take me and also me able to pit me up for the week (willing to pay) as I can't find anywhere in the Liverpool area

Do you think the rest of my work experience will be enough for Liverpool Uni?
    You definately need minimum of one week dairy for liverpool.

ReputationRep:
    You don't happen to know anywhere that takes on work experience do you?

ReputationRep:
    what is the farm that you've been to? is it mixed? cos that might be okay.
    • Community Assistant
    • PS Helper
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    PS Helper
    PS Reviewer
    I do, but its in west yorkshire. Not sure if that'd be any use.
    • Community Assistant
    • PS Helper
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    PS Helper
    PS Reviewer
    I do, but its in west yorkshire. Not sure if that'd be any use.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by skatealexia)
    You definitely need minimum of one week dairy for liverpool.
    is that what they told you today? have they tightened the requirements?

ReputationRep:
    It was an interactive farm for children
    I got to herd cows an do a milking demonstation while I was there but not much work

I don't mind where it is tbh cause I know I'm gonna have to travel anyway
    What was the name of the one you know?
    I wouldn't mind giving them a shot

ReputationRep:
    LOL farmer teds what is this farmer teds you talk of

ReputationRep:
    A children farm park
    • Community Assistant
    • PS Helper
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    PS Helper
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by Annaconda)
    is that what they told you today? have they tightened the requirements?

Yeah they told me the minimum requirement in the other had to include one week dairy, one week stables and one week handling small animals. I don't have one week stables soo.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: September 17, 2018

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    UEA Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 23 Nov '18
  • Norwich University of the Arts
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Fri, 23 Nov '18
  • Edge Hill University
    All Faculties Undergraduate
    Sat, 24 Nov '18
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.