Turn on thread page Beta
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Haha, yes it was pretty amazing! And also actually very cheap, considering. Cost me only £250 a month, and then plane on top of that (about 800 return). I think it was because it was a proper working holiday!

I think I should be okay. Had a look at liverpool website and it simply said '10 weeks to include 4 weeks vet, and some large and small animal' and excluded a few things.

ReputationRep:
    Want to go to Liverpool... do you think the following is enough experience and enough variety?

2 years full time on a city farm
    2 years part time volunteering on a city farm (every Sunday)
    2 weeks RSPCA Small Animal Hospital
    1 week Small Animal Clinic
    2 weeks in a different Small Animal Clinic
    1 week in a stables
    4 days in a kennels/cattery
    5 half days in Celia Hammond cattery/clinic

Do most people at Liverpool have more than this? And I'm worried I don't have any in a large animal practice as I live in London so it has been virtually impossible to find anywhere!! Although have worked a lot with large animals on the farm. Does anyone know of any large animal clinics or equine clinics around London that do work experience, esp at the weekends? Any other comments about how much they will need?

Good luck to all those with interviews by the way!!
    • Community Assistant
    • PS Helper
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    PS Helper
    PS Reviewer
    You need to get some large animal work, such as equine or farm animal. . You have good variety on the farm especially. Could you do lambing anywhere? .

ReputationRep:
    Hi Guys. I'm thinking in getting into a vet uni after finishing year 13 - I've always wanted to be a vet. But Compared to all these work experience that people seem to have around here, I really cannot even think about being a vet - I haven't got any experience at all. I will try to get AAA in Sixth form , but I do know that these grades without experience won't be enough. I feel like vet uni is so far ! Wouldn't Natural science be another good option? or do you guys really think I got any opportunity to actually get into it?

ReputationRep:
    Your quantity is good, but some staple lambing or dairy would really help.

And RodrigoB, what year are you in? I assume Year 12 and you'll be applying next year? If you really want to be a vet, you'll get the work experience, even if it means taking a gap year to get it. If you're not that fussed, then go for Natural Science or Zoology or something. However, postgraduate entry on the vet med course is notoriously difficult and very, very expensive.

ReputationRep:
    Hey,

I was doing a bit of internet searching and came across a dog rescue centre that does work experience placements- they do rehab, home visits, kennel duties, and offer free board and meals in exchange for work. It's about two hours away from where I live, so I'd have to stay down there (so travel expenses etc.) I already have kennels experience, so is this really worth doing, although it looks interesting, will the uni's really care, or should I go for some more vetty stuff?

Thanks!
    • Community Assistant
    • PS Helper
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    PS Helper
    PS Reviewer
    How much vetty stuff do you have compared to 'other' work? And how much do you have planned?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by skatealexia)
    How much vetty stuff do you have compared to 'other' work? And how much do you have planned?
    I have 1 week LA, 1 week equine and 1 week mixed (though mainly large/equine). I don't have anything else planned, other than 1 week VLA, but I'm going to ring some SA practices and try to get SA work.

I also have 2 weeks lambing, 1 week kennels/cattery, 2 weeks pigs and 1 week stud.

So I think there's definately a bias to LA stuff in my work exp, but I already have kennel experience.

• Community Assistant
    • PS Helper
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    PS Helper
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by mydearthing)
    I have 1 week LA, 1 week equine and 1 week mixed (though mainly large/equine). I don't have anything else planned, other than 1 week VLA, but I'm going to ring some SA practices and try to get SA work.

I also have 2 weeks lambing, 1 week kennels/cattery, 2 weeks pigs and 1 week stud.

So I think there's definitely a bias to LA stuff in my work exp, but I already have kennel experience.

Definately get about 1-2 week small animal work ( 2 weeks if you can ). Try to get some dairy farm in there for the 'other', maybe a week or two. After that you're sorted . Just anything you want to get then really =).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by skatealexia)
    definitely get about 1-2 week small animal work ( 2 weeks if you can ). Try to get some dairy farm in there for the 'other', maybe a week or two. After that you're sorted . Just anything you want to get then really =).
    Thank you for the advice. I'll definately try and get a couple weeks smallies.

xx

ReputationRep:
    Hey everyone
    does anyone know of any farms in the West Midlands
    ive tried ringing around and most just say they will ring back and never do!
    i live in the Staffordshire area, anyone get any ideas?
    Thanks Kirsty x x x x
    • Community Assistant
    • PS Helper
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    PS Helper
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by Kirst1)
    Hey everyone
    does anyone know of any farms in the West Midlands
    ive tried ringing around and most just say they will ring back and never do!
    i live in the Staffordshire area, anyone get any ideas?
    Thanks Kirsty x x x x

Keep ringing them! . I don't live in the West Midlands so that is the best advice I could give you I'm afraid.

ReputationRep:
    Thank you, u applying for 2010? how much work experience you done if you dont mind me asking?
    • Community Assistant
    • PS Helper
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    PS Helper
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by Kirst1)
    Thank you, u applying for 2010? how much work experience you done if you dont mind me asking?

Erm...

3 week small animal vet ( and 6 months monday night voluntary work).
    1 week equine vet.
    2 week kennels and cattery.
    1 week dog groomers.
    3 week mixed animal farm.
    1 week dairy farm.
    1 week stables.
    1 day pet shop.

Booked: abbatoir 1 day, and 1 week lambing/pig farm, and hopefully a week at a vets again! .

I'm applying 2010. .

ReputationRep:
    The best thing you can do is keep trying, some people are very unorganised, and they are doing you a favour by letting you do work experience (unless it's lambing, because you're often needed then).

Just be really, really persistent, once you get your work experience, it's worth all the effort.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by green_penguin)
    Want to go to Liverpool... do you think the following is enough experience and enough variety?

2 years full time on a city farm
    2 years part time volunteering on a city farm (every Sunday)
    2 weeks RSPCA Small Animal Hospital
    1 week Small Animal Clinic
    2 weeks in a different Small Animal Clinic
    1 week in a stables
    4 days in a kennels/cattery
    5 half days in Celia Hammond cattery/clinic

Do most people at Liverpool have more than this? And I'm worried I don't have any in a large animal practice as I live in London so it has been virtually impossible to find anywhere!! Although have worked a lot with large animals on the farm. Does anyone know of any large animal clinics or equine clinics around London that do work experience, esp at the weekends? Any other comments about how much they will need?

Good luck to all those with interviews by the way!!
    what city farms did you go to?
    i got a liv interview last year with only SA and exotics vets, so i dont know if i was just lucky, or i had good other stuff, or if they take into account living in london.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Annaconda)
    what city farms did you go to?
    i got a liv interview last year with only SA and exotics vets, so i dont know if i was just lucky, or i had good other stuff, or if they take into account living in london.
    they definately take it into account that you live in london so farm stuff is harder to come by

ReputationRep:
    Hiya everyone,

Just wondering what you think about the amount and variety of work experiance I have? Im a bit older than most, Im 25 I left school after GCSEs so Im currently back at collage doing my Alevels in a year.
    My work experience:

2 weeks mixed vets
    2 weeks mixed vets (a few years ago)
    3 years full time event groom
    4 years full time on a competition training yard
    1 morning a week dairy farm since September
    2 days kennels and cattery
    1 day beef farm
    1 day community farm
    1 day medical lab
    1 day abattoir

Any thoughts would be welcomed this whole application process is so much more stressful than I imagined!
    • Community Assistant
    • PS Helper
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    PS Helper
    PS Reviewer
    The first thing I notice is that you should try and get some small animal vet work, maybe two or three weeks if you can due to the fact that one of the mixed vets you did was a few years ago. . I would try to get a week or two in a kennels or cattery. You have plenty of stables work, and you seem to have plenty of dairy work. Maybe try to get lambing for 1 week in spring, and maybe supplements if you want to such as a pig farm or poultry farm, but the latter is just a suggestion. Your abattoir and medical lab is good .

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the reply, do you know whether they take in to consideration the work experiance you are planning for the spring, if you haven't written it in your personal statement?

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: September 17, 2018

University open days

• University of Bradford
    All faculties Undergraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
  • Buckinghamshire New University
    All Faculties Postgraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
  • Heriot-Watt University
    All Schools Postgraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.