The Student Room Group

The big and shiny work experience bible

Scroll to see replies

Loosy
Just managed to snag a zoo placement. I'm sooooo excited ^_^
Only thing is it takes up my whole easter break which is when I would be doing lambing. Might only get to do that for a few weekends this year...

EDIT: And by this year I mean next year :s-smilie:

Oooh congratulations! I've tried a few zoos to no avail. Maybe I should start asking 15 months in advance. :woo:

I've got yet another lambing placement over easter, though getting payed about 200 quid a week for this one. =) I'll have lambed for 6 weeks after this one! Must start looking around for pig and exotic placements.
Reply 721
Anyone got any ideas of how to find lambing placements? There aren't actually any sheep farms in my area, and my mum is the only driver, so she isn't able to drive me great distances (family circumstances). Before they were pretty unhappy about the idea of me staying away from home with people they don't know, but since I will be 18 soon they aren't bothered anymore. So, how did people get theirs? With eevryhting else I sent letters and phoned local farmers, but I have no idea where to start with this!
oaktrees
Anyone got any ideas of how to find lambing placements? There aren't actually any sheep farms in my area, and my mum is the only driver, so she isn't able to drive me great distances (family circumstances). Before they were pretty unhappy about the idea of me staying away from home with people they don't know, but since I will be 18 soon they aren't bothered anymore. So, how did people get theirs? With eevryhting else I sent letters and phoned local farmers, but I have no idea where to start with this!

I got one of my lambing placements because my science teacher from school lives on a sheep farm and when I went back to visit he asked if I wanted to help. He lives quite far away from me, so me, my sister and my friend all went and stayed in a carvan in one of the fields. It was brilliant! :smile:
With some farmers its also a good idea to actually go and see them in person (this worked at another farm for me!), and if they don't need any help ask them if they know of anyone who does. One farmer who had already finished lambing gave me the names of about 4 other farmers in the area who might need help!!
Hope this helps!! :smile:
Right. Work experience is listed in my signature, but the vet lab is off unfortunately. After feb my work experience will be:

2 weeks kennels/catteries.
3 weeks mixed animal farm.
1 week dog groomers.
1 week stables.
1 week dairy farm. (more 10 afternoons over a period of months).
1 week lambing/pig farm.
3 week SA vets, and (6 months monday night voluntary for a while ago.)
1 week equine vet.

To be booked:

1 week SA vet.
1 day abattoir for around march, cos they said yes when I was 18. :smile:.

Anything I could add to this? I'm not sure what I should do?
skatealexia
Right. Work experience is listed in my signature, but the vet lab is off unfortunately. After feb my work experience will be:

1 week dog groomers.
1 week stables.
1 week lambing/pig farm.
1 week equine vet.

To be booked:

1 week SA vet.

You have waaay more than me..
Maybe a farm animal vet, if you can get one? And perhaps another 'cherry' like a zoo or something, though they're really hard to get into. The abattoir is a good one :smile:
Reply 725
skatealexia

1 week dog groomers.
1 week stables.
1 week lambing/pig farm.
1 week equine vet.

To be booked:

1 week SA vet.

You could do some exotic animal stuff and lab work.
Reply 726
What's work exp like?

Excellent fun, I love having students!!
Meeting crazy clients, wrestling with donkeys, lancing abscesses, dealing with grossly infected tails, putting prolapses back in mares, helping with banadage changes for wounds, gossiping (sorry...working) with the dentist, seeing colt castrations, colics and horses outrun their owners on trot ups, in the field...... the list is endless.
All stuff my students see regularly.

Always bear in mind that you won't be able to do a great deal because of insurance constraints and the danger/unpredictability of working with animals that are unfamiliar to you, some owners don't like it etc., but always ask questions! We all had to start somewhere and most vets don't mind chatting away (and if they do, they're not worth seeing practice with!!). It's great when a student is interested. If you are asked to hold/carry something, ask what it is, what's it for etc etc. I'm amazed as to how many students have seen me vaccinate horses and not ask what I was vaccinating against, why, how often.......
Always be aware that some questions may be better asked when the owner is not present e.g in the car, between clients.
Most of all enjoy!!
Reply 727
Hmm, there's a vet practice near me looking for a voluntary receptionist/telephonist. I know it wouldn't be hands on at all but do you think this would be any use? I already have about 4 weeks SA vet but I had planned on going into this particular practice and asking for work exp anyway (it's about 2 minutes from my uni house, awesome!).
I was just thinking the receptionist thing is likely to be more long term than I'd probably be able to get observational work exp for, and maybe if I got in there with the practice they might let me do a bit more.
Any thoughts?
Loosy
Hmm, there's a vet practice near me looking for a voluntary receptionist/telephonist. I know it wouldn't be hands on at all but do you think this would be any use? I already have about 4 weeks SA vet but I had planned on going into this particular practice and asking for work exp anyway (it's about 2 minutes from my uni house, awesome!).
I was just thinking the receptionist thing is likely to be more long term than I'd probably be able to get observational work exp for, and maybe if I got in there with the practice they might let me do a bit more.
Any thoughts?

that sounds brilliant! definitely go for it - getting in with a practice long term is very beneficial. i'd be quick to ring up about it though, there's so many people looking for jobs atm especially with animals.
Reply 729
skatealexia

1 week dog groomers.
1 week stables.
1 week lambing/pig farm.
1 week equine vet.

To be booked:

1 week SA vet.

Your work experience is pretty similar to mine (mine is on my profile) and you've got great variety. I think possibly the only thing might be that you've not got particularly long-term placements? I know that's not easy to come by, especially if you have sporting or musical engagements, but I think it does show a lot of commitment to repeatedly go back someone. Other than that (and I'm really scraping the barrel here for anything I can think of :p:): farm animal vet, stud farm, beef farm, poultry farm, lab, wildlife charity/hospital, zoo... I can't really think of anything else. Your work experience is really, really good though, you HAVE to get a Liverpool interview with that!
Reply 730
hannah_vet
that sounds brilliant! definitely go for it - getting in with a practice long term is very beneficial. i'd be quick to ring up about it though, there's so many people looking for jobs atm especially with animals.

Yep I got quite excited when I saw it, I've been planning on contacting this place for a while but was waiting till after my exams. It's pretty great timing!
I'm going to go in in person on Monday (never had much luck with phones and work exp!). They're shut all weekend, and typically I didn't find out about it until Friday evening a few minutes before closing time XD
Loosy
Yep I got quite excited when I saw it, I've been planning on contacting this place for a while but was waiting till after my exams. It's pretty great timing!
I'm going to go in in person on Monday (never had much luck with phones and work exp!). They're shut all weekend, and typically I didn't find out about it until Friday evening a few minutes before closing time XD

ooh well good luck! remember to sell yourself for the job :smile:
Got a weeks work experience at Leahurst in August!! :biggrin: Going round all different areas but have asked to see smallies and horses especially. Really excited! If anyone's been or has any tips or anything let me know. :smile:
If anyone is looking for a WE with farm animals and/or duke of edinburgh residential I went and stayed at the farm animal santuary.

www.thefarmanimalsanctuary.co.uk

Very nice people there, wide range of animals and you will get stuck in and do all the jobs... Great experience!!

If you want any more info feel free to PM me :smile:
Students are great to have around; they test your knowledge, provide company in the car, hold vital pieces of equipment etc. I saw practice with some fantastic vets who never minded what I asked - but it is courtesy to ask questions when NOT in front of the client. I also saw practice with vets who were undoubtedly good at their job but awful with students - would either be rude to me or pretend I wasn't there.

I won't ask students to do things in front of clients unless I am VERY sure of them (apart from basic HR RR Temp), but don't mind them taking bloods/examining/doing minor procedures under my supervision when the client isn't around.

I much prefer the students who ask questions or can make conversation - it makes the day go more quickly :smile:
Reply 735
Does anyone have ANY contacts for abattoirs? Seriously ANYWHERE. I will travel anywhere around the country, because there are seriously none around here that will take me. But I will be 18 by the time I want to do this, so that will help.
Mmm I found the best way to get access to an abattoir was simply to go with a farmer I was doing work experience with - though it did mean I only got to be there for about an hour or 2.
Reply 737
steph_v
Does anyone have ANY contacts for abattoirs? Seriously ANYWHERE. I will travel anywhere around the country, because there are seriously none around here that will take me. But I will be 18 by the time I want to do this, so that will help.

It sucks there are actually NONE in sussex anywhere that will take people! I had to travel to west wales for mine, apprarentely they only took people from the local area but my distant relative who lives in wales got me in :biggrin:
Reply 738
haddie...
It sucks there are actually NONE in sussex anywhere that will take people! I had to travel to west wales for mine, apprarentely they only took people from the local area but my distant relative who lives in wales got me in :biggrin:

I know! I think I might be going to the one Rachel went to in Cornwall, maybe. I have no distant relative in Wales to help me out unfortunately :p: I even asked all the butchers around here where they get their meat and they all get it from Scotland!
Reply 739
There are virtually NO sheep farms in cambs, but after 2 years of searching have eventually got a placement..........in the peak district :woo:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending