Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by steph_v)
    I know! I think I might be going to the one Rachel went to in Cornwall, maybe. I have no distant relative in Wales to help me out unfortunately :p: I even asked all the butchers around here where they get their meat and they all get it from Scotland!
    haha yeah, our butcher gets its beef from the orkney islands!

and i cant help cos the one in guildford wouldnt take me.

ReputationRep:
    one in guildford wouldn't take me either, neither would the one in northcamp!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hannah_vet)
    one in guildford wouldn't take me either, neither would the one in northcamp!
    Yeah, I tried there. Pahhh, it's such a pain.

ReputationRep:
    Seeing all of this... I've really gotta boast. I haven't got w/e there yet, but we have a couple of abbatoirs just in our little patch in west Wales. Also, talking of work exp, for people with problems getting other experience, have you tried cattle/sheep marts? I would imagine that would be pretty hands-on & good experience with livestock.

ReputationRep:
    Hmm, I know there was a discussion on this a couple of pages back but was it decided that the best time to ring a farm is around 7.30pm?
    I have a dairy farm I'm trying to sort out work exp with and I've tried at several different times but no luck!
    • Community Assistant
    • PS Helper
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    PS Helper
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by Loosy)
    Hmm, I know there was a discussion on this a couple of pages back but was it decided that the best time to ring a farm is around 7.30pm?
    I have a dairy farm I'm trying to sort out work exp with and I've tried at several different times but no luck!
    Try between 7 and 9, the dairy farm I was at was always in around 7/8. If that helps.

ReputationRep:
    Abattoir in Norfolk takes anyone. All the request is a pack of biscuits :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by skatealexia)
    Try between 7 and 9, the dairy farm I was at was always in around 7/8. If that helps.
    Ok that's great, thanks Latest I've tried is about 8pm. I don't like to ring too late! XD
    • Community Assistant
    • PS Helper
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    PS Helper
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by Loosy)
    Ok that's great, thanks Latest I've tried is about 8pm. I don't like to ring too late! XD

Me neither. :woo: I think 9 aint too unreasonable though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PowerLewis)
    Whereabouts in Norfolk? If there is any accommodation anywhere nearby this might be quite useful, but 4 hours is a bit far to drive for one day!

ReputationRep:
    Gayton, as I recall. Norfolk is a depressing place to be, you really only want to visit as a last resort :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PowerLewis)
    Any accommodation nearby? Norfolk is closer than Cornwall. Considerably closer. I appreciate it's dreary, I went camping there with an ex once. I had glandular fever, I detest camping at the best of times and my ex is a ****, it was one of the worst 10 days of my life :p:

Or, you could always let me camp in your garden, because you know I'm lovely :p:

It's about 4 hours, but I don't mind driving that, I love long car journeys. I could do that it one day if I really, really needed to. But Cornwall is about 5/6 hours away, so that's not practical.

ReputationRep:
    Gah! I finally got through to the farm at about 7pm this evening but they were eating and asked me to call back in a little while. Every time I've called since then there's been no answer! XD
    I completely fail at getting placements by phone, it seems...

ReputationRep:
    Ahh, bad luck Loosy. I hope you get an answer soon, either way - sounds terribly frustrating, being ignored

I was just pondering over a question of my own regarding work experience. Back in Yr 10, in the school-based w/e, I went to a marine wildlife centre. I was wondering whether this would be at all relevant to a VedMed application... I had no physical contact with any animals, but we were observing dolphins & their habits (like where they're spotted most often, what they're doing, etc etc), & working on a "photo-ID" project, where we were trying to identify individual dolphins by their dorsal fins. Although you couldn't really call it animal husbandry, it is kinda to do with animals, so I wondered if, when I eventually apply, it would be of any interest to the universities/benefit to me...?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jsrbrunty)
    Ahh, bad luck Loosy. I hope you get an answer soon, either way - sounds terribly frustrating, being ignored

I was just pondering over a question of my own regarding work experience. Back in Yr 10, in the school-based w/e, I went to a marine wildlife centre. I was wondering whether this would be at all relevant to a VedMed application... I had no physical contact with any animals, but we were observing dolphins & their habits (like where they're spotted most often, what they're doing, etc etc), & working on a "photo-ID" project, where we were trying to identify individual dolphins by their dorsal fins. Although you couldn't really call it animal husbandry, it is kinda to do with animals, so I wondered if, when I eventually apply, it would be of any interest to the universities/benefit to me...?
    Definitaly add it, it is really unique and makes your ps stand out!!!! It could be classed as a behavioural placement and you were looking at them in a "biological" sense!!!! Well done!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jsrbrunty)

That sounds great. I'd definitely put it in your personal statement.
    I have a similar (sort of!) thing where I volunteered on a conservation project in Panama last year (turtles, manatees and reforestation). The only contact I had with the animals was observation and releasing turtle hatchlings but I think the experience taught me so much I couldn't not add it in! Don't know whether it counts as actual work experience though.

Finally got through to the farm, as well. I'm going to visit them in a couple of weeks to check it's the sort of thing I'm looking for (which it will be, cause I have hardly any farm work so far!) and then arrange a placement over summer, whoo!

Another thing I've been pondering work experience wise is that I help out at a small animal rescue on Saturday mornings. It's from about 8-12.30 so it doesn't count as a day, but would 10 weeks there be the equivalent of one weeks work experience, or would it need to be 14 weeks? (ie is a week counted as 5 days or 7?)
    It doesn't matter too much as I intend to keep going until I finish my current degree, I'm just curious as to how it will add up.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by Loosy)
    Another thing I've been pondering work experience wise is that I help out at a small animal rescue on Saturday mornings. It's from about 8-12.30 so it doesn't count as a day, but would 10 weeks there be the equivalent of one weeks work experience, or would it need to be 14 weeks? (ie is a week counted as 5 days or 7?)
    It doesn't matter too much as I intend to keep going until I finish my current degree, I'm just curious as to how it will add up.
    i'd say a week is just a full working week - so 37.5-40 hours.

in other news, because nobody i know is excited by this, i'm going lambing next month!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by schizopear)
    i'd say a week is just a full working week - so 37.5-40 hours.

in other news, because nobody i know is excited by this, i'm going lambing next month!
    Ok thanks So I think it would work out to 10 weeks being a week of work exp.

Ooh, lambing! I'm jealous. I've only done lambing for a week last year. It was fun but I can't do it this year because I'm going on holiday for half of easter and have zoo work exp for the other half so I can't fit it in Have fun!

ReputationRep:
    I am going lambing soon too, so excited!! Never been before, so it should be fun!

Also, Liverpool sent out this really complicated formula to determine how many hours added up to one week etc. in their work ex questionnaires that they send out as part of their admissions process. I can't remember how it works, but either ask one of this year's Liv apps, or scan back through this year's thread, it will all be there. Probably around December/Jan time.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jpw92)
    Definitaly add it, it is really unique and makes your ps stand out!!!! It could be classed as a behavioural placement and you were looking at them in a "biological" sense!!!! Well done!!
    Ah, great! And I didn't even realise! Well, I'm no expert on cetaceans still, but if I read up, maybe I can make it seem like I learned a lifetime's worth in that week :P

And Loosy, I believe 1 working day is defined as 8 hours, so probably 2 weeks of that work equals 1 week work experience, though I could be wrong.

Nice one, Oaktrees & Schizopear. I've never done lambing myself, even though I live in a big sheep area (ie. Wales!), but hopefully I'll do some at Easter. Good luck with it anyway.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: September 17, 2018

University open days

• University of Bradford
    All faculties Undergraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
  • Buckinghamshire New University
    All Faculties Postgraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
  • Heriot-Watt University
    All Schools Postgraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.