Turn on thread page Beta

The big and shiny work experience bible watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Beccy99)
    Luckily I live in the middle of Wiltshire which is renowned for its pig farms. I have quite a few near me and I also have a contact in a local agricultural college so I can do W/E there and kind of get taught by professional teachers whilst I'm doing it.

To be honest a month back I didn't even think about any work experience and then suddenly I looked on here and started panicking! I just got my head down and called a lot of people and emailed a lot of people
    Oh thats good then, yeh I think agricultural colleges are the way to go for pig work cos they can teach you so much and are patient whilst you learn (unlike some farms I've been to:rolleyes: )

Yeah, I was the same, it was really daunting at first, but then I suppose it gave me a kick up the bum so I then started to organise lots. I some how managed to do the majority of mine in one year - it really is amazing how much wk ex you can squeese into a year, so you will have plenty when it comes to applying.

Good luck

ReputationRep:
    Tell me, has anyone here ever thought about doing W/E with an AI man? Do you think it would be a worthwhile placement?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jsrbrunty)
    Tell me, has anyone here ever thought about doing W/E with an AI man? Do you think it would be a worthwhile placement?
    Oooh what, like a Genus technician? If you can get one I think that would be awesome, it would give you loads to talk about in terms of heat detection and (I'm assuming it would be with cows!) dairy cow fertility. I would have loved to do that. Even if you can get it for a couple of days I think that would be really good.

ReputationRep:
    A farm I had arranged to do some lambing work experience with used laprascopic AI with their pedigree sheep flock. I spent a day at the farm when the vet came to AI the sheep. Was interesting to see, I sort of had a go at doing it, which was good. It relatively repetitive, so a day or two would probably be enough to get the jist of what is happening! I think it is one of those placements that is a nice 'extra' and gives you something a bit different to talk about. If you have got all the 'essentials' sorted, then go for it, but don't arrange it instead of your stock vet/farm/equine etc placements.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    I agree with kookubura. I also think if you were to put that in your personal statement you would have to read up ALOT about reproduction, eostrus cycles, PDing, how to store the semen, where it comes from etc etc. Definately a thing they'd bring up at interview if you had it!

ReputationRep:
    i think so. i was asked about AIing cows in my bristol interview even though i hadnt seen any.

ReputationRep:
    Just wondering, does anyone know any poultry farms in Scotland? Preferably in the Glasgow area. I'm having a bit of a hard time trying to find any. I'm going all over the place for some of my EMS placements (just been down to Yorkshire for lambing, going to Tiggywinkles wildlife hospital in England, off to Aberdeen for pig farming) so I'd like something close to home as I am running low on cash hehe. Any help would be much appreciated.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LDVet)
    Just wondering, does anyone know any poultry farms in Scotland? Preferably in the Glasgow area. I'm having a bit of a hard time trying to find any. I'm going all over the place for some of my EMS placements (just been down to Yorkshire for lambing, going to Tiggywinkles wildlife hospital in England, off to Aberdeen for pig farming) so I'd like something close to home as I am running low on cash hehe. Any help would be much appreciated.
    Tiggywinkles is really near me, all the wildlife that can't be treated at my vets goes there, it is amazing!! You are so lucky to get that!

Try the NFU Scotland (think that is what it is called). Ring them up and ask them for a list of poultry farms because they will have a database. They were really helpful for me!

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone think it would be worth trying to organise a placement at a referral hospital, or an emergency practice? Or do these sort of places not even take people on?

ReputationRep:
    I started work exp at the zoo yesterday. It's funnnn so far.
    I'm annoyed though because I was supposed to start last week and do two weeks but I was on holiday and got stuck there because of the flight cancellations so now I'll only be able to do one week

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by .captainsarah)
    Does anyone think it would be worth trying to organise a placement at a referral hospital, or an emergency practice? Or do these sort of places not even take people on?
    It's worth a try, really. I don't think many places do that people on, I tried a few, but it never hurts to ask.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by steph_v)
    It's worth a try, really. I don't think many places do that people on, I tried a few, but it never hurts to ask.
    Thanks Steph, have managed to find two emergency practices and a referral orthopaedic vets near(ish) to me, and then another emergency practice and then two referral hospitals where one of my cousins lives - one for alpacas (which I know nothing at all about) and the other is an opthalmology one. I guess it's maybe worth just writing to everyone, one of them might want me :p:

Also writing to six more practices, I think I may have dead wrist after putting on my very best neat writing for that long!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by .captainsarah)
    Thanks Steph, have managed to find two emergency practices and a referral orthopaedic vets near(ish) to me, and then another emergency practice and then two referral hospitals where one of my cousins lives - one for alpacas (which I know nothing at all about) and the other is an opthalmology one. I guess it's maybe worth just writing to everyone, one of them might want me :p:

Also writing to six more practices, I think I may have dead wrist after putting on my very best neat writing for that long!
    Remember to follow it up with a phone call, it's harder to say no to someone over the phone!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Beccy99)
    Luckily I live in the middle of Wiltshire which is renowned for its pig farms. I have quite a few near me and I also have a contact in a local agricultural college so I can do W/E there and kind of get taught by professional teachers whilst I'm doing it.

To be honest a month back I didn't even think about any work experience and then suddenly I looked on here and started panicking! I just got my head down and called a lot of people and emailed a lot of people
    Sounds like you're doing well with your work experience! Any chance you wouldn't mind PMing me one or two of your pig farm contacts in Wiltshire? I'm looking to do pig farming, possibly for a week mid-June or during the summer, and my dad lives in Wiltshire so t'would be rather handy!

ReputationRep:
    Also, has anyone ever done work experience with an equine dentist? I have an aquaintance from my previous horsey days who is recently qualified and said he would take me out with him if I wanted. I want to get my basic vet and farming stuff done first, but after that I have the possibility of this, and a week in a bird of prey centre. Worthwhile?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MySweetheartTheDrunk)
    Also, has anyone ever done work experience with an equine dentist? I have an aquaintance from my previous horsey days who is recently qualified and said he would take me out with him if I wanted. I want to get my basic vet and farming stuff done first, but after that I have the possibility of this, and a week in a bird of prey centre. Worthwhile?
    Hiya, yeah I spent 2 days with a equine dental technician and really enjoyed it and there was alot more to it than I expected, definatly worth it if you get the chance. I talked about it at my Liv interview aswell
    Didn't do any work with birds of prey, but again, I think it would worth doing once you have got a good amount of core wk ex

ReputationRep:
    Peter on here has done lots of work with birds of prey, I can't remember his username on here, Talon1992 or something. He won't be on here much because he's banned himself due to exams, but I reckon it would definitely be worthwhile and would be something different to talk about at interview.

ReputationRep:
    I am worried that i have not got enough work experience in comparison to some people...

This is what i have so far/booked so will have completed by the time i apply,...

x2 weeks small animal practice
    x1 week mixed animal practice
    x1 week wildlife rescue centre
    x1 weekend lambing
    x1 week milking
    x3 weeks chimpanzee rescue centre
    x1 week equine vet practice
    x1 weekend animal lab
    Job in kennels for 6months, working on average once a week
    x1 weekend at abbatoir
    as well as vetsim and vetmedlink courses...

Is there anything else i need to do/do more of?

Many thanks for your help

ReputationRep:
    Read the work experience thread that is stickied. It's so annoying when people make these threads all the time.

Yes, your work experience is very good. You've got Liverpool's minimum, 4 weeks vet and 6 weeks other animal experience, but I'd get a few more weeks at a vets, if possible. That's by no means not essential, but quite a few applicants will have more veterinary experience.
    • Community Assistant
    • PS Helper
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    PS Helper
    PS Reviewer
    You need a stables. .

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: September 17, 2018

University open days

• Manchester Metropolitan University
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 14 Nov '18
  • University of Chester
    Chester campuses Undergraduate
    Wed, 14 Nov '18
  • Anglia Ruskin University
    Ambitious, driven, developing your career & employability? Aspiring in your field, up-skilling after a career break? Then our Postgrad Open Evening is for you. Postgraduate
    Wed, 14 Nov '18
Poll
Have you ever experienced bullying?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.