The Student Room Group

The big and shiny work experience bible

Scroll to see replies

Apart from the stables missing, sounds good to me.
HI :smile:
I'm new to the forum and currently in year 10.
I've always wanted to be a vet and my work experience is already booked for a dairy farm and I've done about 3 weeks lambing.
I was just wondering if it was too early to start thinking about doing some w/e this summer, whether when I get to applying for university it will have been too long ago.
Farm_Vet_in_the_making
I've always wanted to be a vet and my work experience is already booked for a dairy farm and I've done about 3 weeks lambing.
I was just wondering if it was too early to start thinking about doing some w/e this summer, whether when I get to applying for university it will have been too long ago.

Think about it, it's only a couple of summers before you start applying and out of that comes holidays, work, etc - that is not an awful lot of time to get 10+ weeks of work experience. Likewise not many practices accept work exp student these days and those that do can sometimes be booked up years in advance. The earlier you start and the more organised you are the easier it will be.

It doesn't matter how long ago you did it as long as you learnt from it and that you've done some work experience at least fairly recently.
Thank you :smile:
yeah, i mean from looking at the forum, i need some long term placements so now's the time to start i guess.
There are a few hirsey places round by me, but I absolutely no knowledge of horses at all, they should still take me shouldn't they?
Reply 844
Well, if you've got absolutely no knowledge of horses at all, that's even more of a reason to try and get a long term placement at a stables or something. I'm sure they will take you, it's free labour after all. I started my work experience at 12/13 (2.5 years stables) because I loved working with horses, but I didn't actually know I wanted to be a vet then, because I didn't think I was clever enough to get the grades (I still don't!). I started getting work experience properly after my GCSEs, but there is definitely no harm in starting now. Just take notes in case you forget things.
By the way, this thread is probably going to get moved to the work experience thread, I don't understand why people can't post in there >.<
Oh, sorry i didn't know there was one.
It's never too early :smile: x
might as well start if you can get it!! the more the better. you also need a variety of work experience, so farm work, small animals, big animals eg zoo. good luck :smile:
Reply 848
it's never too early :smile: a lot of riding schools take on younger people to help out at the weekend. i started helping out at my local riding school when I was 12. don't worry if you don't know much about horses because I know a few people who were starting completely from scratch and were pro at mucking out, grooming and leading in no time :p: . if you're lucky you could get riding lessons in return for your help too.
Reply 849
A few of my friends are now doing veterinary courses and I think they'd agree with nicola and a few others and say it's never too early :p: I remember they all went various places, and you can never be sure where you can get a placement and when, so if you can start looking for opportunities now can only be a good thing :yep:
Reply 850
Farm_Vet_in_the_making
Oh, sorry i didn't know there was one.

No worries, but there is loads of information there that you might find useful. It's sticked at the top of the forum. There's also a general guide, which is really good.
Reply 851
I agree the earlier the better, I got my first Vet practise work exp when i was your age but i agree with Steph, take notes or you'll forget! I didn't and forgot the details of some really interesting cases!! The first Op i saw was an operation on a skunk!
Reply 852
haddie...
I agree the earlier the better, I got my first Vet practise work exp when i was your age but i agree with Steph, take notes or you'll forget! I didn't and forgot the details of some really interesting cases!! The first Op i saw was an operation on a skunk!

Haha really? Mine was a bitch spay, but the vet let me put gloves on and muck around dissecting it with a spare scalpel when she was suturing. I also saw a PM on my first day of work ex at the vets ever, which was quite exciting!

Taking notes is really important, I didn't for my first week and, surprise surprise, now I can't remember it at all given it was three years ago! (Pig farm). But yeah, you might as well start now, it gives you longer to get everything sorted, and find contacts etc. Write to all your local vet practices and try and get some vet practice experience early as well, because the more you get, the more variety you will see and the more you will have to talk about when it comes to applying.
Reply 853
I was really, really bad at writing notes, but thankfully I remembered most of it for my interviews. I didn't do much for each one, just a few case studies and then a few answers to questions that I asked the farmers/vets. The first op I saw was a cat castrate.

Oh, the other good thing about starting early is that you can get contacts that way and the more work experience you've got, the more likely other places are to take you. For example, when I first started trying to get work experience, the equine practice near me wouldn't take me (the claimed they only took veterinary students - it was a lie!). Then, when I had over a years work experience at a vets, as well as a kennel job and lots of farm work, they were more than happy to take me.
Reply 854
I started at your age as well, the sooner the better and really immerse yourself!! And with the horses don't worry, i started 2 years ago and knew zip about them!! Now i hope to become an equine vet!!!
Reply 855
IT'S NEVER TOO EARLY :smile: My school has two weeks for work exp in year ten so that's when I first went into a practice. The only other thing I'd done by then was riding/stables since I was 7. I kinda wish I had done more in different practices just because it's so interesting! Oh and some places have really long waiting lists so it's best to get in contact early, especially like big equine places and I suppose zoos too. Also, try not to leave it all until year 12/early year 13. You will be very busy!
Farm_Vet_in_the_making
HI :smile:

It's never too early. I started work exp at 13 and did about 2-6 weeks every year after. You're better off doing the bulk of it now when you still have time, because when you get to A levels you'll need your half terms and easter holidays to study for exams. Do as much as possible during summer. You learn more when you do 2 weeks or more in one go rather than one week here and there. Remember to keep a diary of what you do and see, and start reading up on current issues (good source of info is farming newspapers). Even if you want to be a farm vet, don't forget to do work experience with small animals too. Try to get it as varied as possible. (Horses, cattle, sheep, pigs, small animal practice, large animal practice, wildlife sanctuaries, zoos, abattoirs, kennels, catteries...). Oh, and don't forget to ask for references before they forget about you.
Thanks everyone :smile:
You really helped.
Reply 858
Hey,

Wondering what sort of knowledge you need for the interviews at veterinary universities?

Must you know about common diseases between cats and dogs, symptoms etc ..

Reply 859
Well, you need to know your vaccinations for dogs, cats, horses and maybe rabbits (I got asked about all four different species at various interviews). It's good to have a basic knowledge of common diseases and procedures but you won't be expected to know the ins and outs of complicated procedures, unless you specifically mention them in your personal statement. For example, I mentioned a splenectomy and a thyroidectomy that I witnessed at the vets, and I was asked about both, in a far amount of detail. Take notes while you are there, but also read up on more interesting cases, it's good to show you have a genuine interest.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending