Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    In one of my interviews I was asked to pick a case i'd seen and then had to describe the symptoms, what exactly the vet did, where he made the incision, what the point of operating was and what drugs he gave the animal, so it would be a good idea to pick a small animal, equine and large animal case study and know it in a lot of detail!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Moonlight*)
    In one of my interviews I was asked to pick a case i'd seen and then had to describe the symptoms, what exactly the vet did, where he made the incision, what the point of operating was and what drugs he gave the animal, so it would be a good idea to pick a small animal, equine and large animal case study and know it in a lot of detail!
    God, in that case it would be better to pick something relatively simple/you have seen a lot so you don't forget things like incision sites and drugs! A pyo/spay would be quite good I would have thought. What did you talk about out of interest? I never got asked anything like that at all!

I was asked a lot of dairy stuff, and some SA bits and pieces, vaccinations like Steph said; I tried to talk about PETS travel but they didn't want to play ball there :rolleyes: and then a little bit about some of the diseases you vaccinate cats and dogs against.

ReputationRep:
    OK!
    I understand, once I get to that stage I will revise from my vet notes.

Although I have only seen common ops such as spays+castrates, unblocking of some urethras and lumpectomy's.

Nothing like 'splenectomy and a thyroidectomy'

ohh dear.!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by katieza)
    OK!
    I understand, once I get to that stage I will revise from my vet notes.

Although I have only seen common ops such as spays+castrates, unblocking of some urethras and lumpectomy's.

Nothing like 'splenectomy and a thyroidectomy'

ohh dear.!
    That doesn't matter, don't worry! I had a lot of luck because in the my first ever week of doing work experience at my vets (I call it my vets because I ended up going there for 18 months and I loved it, I miss it :p:) there were 3 splenectomies in 2 days! Unfortunately I only saw two because one happened in the middle of the night because it was an emergency (a staffy was hit by a car and ruptured his spleen) but it was an amazing experience. Stuff like that doesn't happen at most vets on a particularly regular basis so they don't expect you to have seen really exciting things, unless you went to a referral clinic or something (which would be really, really lucky because they are very hard to get into!).

I wrote about those cases on my personal statement because I wanted to be asked about them because I'd researched them in detail. It's also good to have a non surgical case study up your sleeve, for example I was asked about the surgical and non-surgical treatment for hyperthyroidism in cats and I had to discuss the pros and cons of the different treatments. I was only asked that because I mentioned it, they won't randomly ask you about a complicated procedure you've never heard of, they're not that mean!

Anyway, I remember from another thread that you are only in year 10! I didn't start my regular vet work experience until October of Year 12 because everywhere locally was booked up. Considering you're starting so early, you're bound to see some interesting cases along the way. Don't worry too much, there's plenty of time

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by steph_v)
    That doesn't matter, don't worry! I had a lot of luck because in the my first ever week of doing work experience at my vets (I call it my vets because I ended up going there for 18 months and I loved it, I miss it :p:) there were 3 splenectomies in 2 days! Unfortunately I only saw two because one happened in the middle of the night because it was an emergency (a staffy was hit by a car and ruptured his spleen) but it was an amazing experience. Stuff like that doesn't happen at most vets on a particularly regular basis so they don't expect you to have seen really exciting things, unless you went to a referral clinic or something (which would be really, really lucky because they are very hard to get into!).

I wrote about those cases on my personal statement because I wanted to be asked about them because I'd researched them in detail. It's also good to have a non surgical case study up your sleeve, for example I was asked about the surgical and non-surgical treatment for hyperthyroidism in cats and I had to discuss the pros and cons of the different treatments. I was only asked that because I mentioned it, they won't randomly ask you about a complicated procedure you've never heard of, they're not that mean!

Anyway, I remember from another thread that you are only in year 10! I didn't start my regular vet work experience until October of Year 12 because everywhere locally was booked up. Considering you're starting so early, you're bound to see some interesting cases along the way. Don't worry too much, there's plenty of time
    Yes I'm in year 10, but nevertheless I've been going to 'my vets' for about half a year - twice a week. Therefore I was expecting to have experienced something a little more diverse...I guess I'll give it time.
    Thanks for the reply, really appreciate other people being in my position and understanding what I'm going through and the tough battle it is to get into 1 of the 7 vet unis

Getting a place at my or any Small Animal Veterinary Practice is quite difficult and requires alot of persistance and so I will try and stay as long as you have if possible. Btw why did you have to stop going to your vets?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by katieza)
    Yes I'm in year 10, but nevertheless I've been going to 'my vets' for about half a year - twice a week. Therefore I was expecting to have experienced something a little more diverse...I guess I'll give it time.
    Thanks for the reply, really appreciate other people being in my position and understanding what I'm going through and the tough battle it is to get into 1 of the 7 vet unis

Getting a place at my or any Small Animal Veterinary Practice is quite difficult and requires alot of persistance and so I will try and stay as long as you have if possible. Btw why did you have to stop going to your vets?

I stopped because of A2 exams, because they are very, very difficult and I needed the extra day a week because of revision. I have a part time job anyway and I needed to keep that for money, so I really had to stop going to the vets. Plus, I had two offers, so hopefully it means I won't have to reapply next year, although I'm really struggling with my subjects at the moment.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by oaktrees)
    God, in that case it would be better to pick something relatively simple/you have seen a lot so you don't forget things like incision sites and drugs! A pyo/spay would be quite good I would have thought. What did you talk about out of interest? I never got asked anything like that at all!

I was asked a lot of dairy stuff, and some SA bits and pieces, vaccinations like Steph said; I tried to talk about PETS travel but they didn't want to play ball there :rolleyes: and then a little bit about some of the diseases you vaccinate cats and dogs against.
    I picked a displaced abomasum operation on a cow because I'd seen it recently and I remembered everything except what drugs he gave it and completely forgot about antibiotics!! He then said pick a small animal case study but I'v seen hardly anything with small animals and the only one I could think of was a rabbit I saw that had a skin condition when I was in year 10 but I couldn't remember what was wrong with it! I don't think that station went very well!!

ReputationRep:
    Hi,
    I think the interviewer are wanting to find out if you are interested and observant.
    If you cleaned the kennels they may ask what you used. I really don't think it matters if you can't remember the name. If you used trigene for example you could describe it as - a green solution that had to be diluted, it was a disinfectant to kill bacteria etc...
    If you mention that you saw vaccinations consults they may ask what the animals were vaccinated against.
    I've had students see practice with me who haven't asked a single question throughout the whole week, so that's why I think they are looking for someone who comes across as being observant and interested. I'm sure they won't want you to have detailed knowledge of the everything....that's what vet school is for.
    I went to vet school as a grad and my interview was different from an non-grad one. I was asked which modules I had studied and was asked technical questions in relation to those subjects.
    Have a great time on your work exp and ask away! x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ponyvet)
    Hi,
    I think the interviewer are wanting to find out if you are interested and observant.
    If you cleaned the kennels they may ask what you used. I really don't think it matters if you can't remember the name. If you used virkon for example you could describe it as - a green solution that had to be diluted, it was a disinfectant to kill bacteria etc...
    If you mention that you saw vaccinations consults they may ask what the animals were vaccinated against.
    I've had students see practice with me who haven't asked a single question throughout the whole week, so that's why I think they are looking for someone who comes across as being observant and interested. I'm sure they won't want you to have detailed knowledge of the everything....that's what vet school is for.
    I went to vet school as a grad and my interview was different from an non-grad one. I was asked which modules I had studied and was asked technical questions in relation to those subjects.
    Have a great time on your work exp and ask away! x
    Yes I see what you mean, after consults I tend to ask the vet questions about the symptoms, the drugs used/prescribed ,the examination process of the animal etc. However some vets only give me a simple answer whilst others show more interest and help to explain things.

And I didn't realise I had to be so observational as to know which disinfectant spray I'm using..etc I'll take that into account for future reference! Thanks

ReputationRep:
    Definitely keep notes of cases, especially interesting ones! Its probably a good idea to know the basics of a spay/castration because no doubt you'll have seen these at any first opinion SA practice, and common vaccinations. If you're asked to pick a case you've seen in interview try and think of something that could lead onto discussions/further questions, for example cancer or something ethical. That way you get the opportunity to lead the interview towards something you know about. Also if you've mentioned a case in your PS they are likely to ask about it, golden opportunity as above. Definitely look up epidemics such as TB, foot and mouth, bluetongue, BSE and how these were managed.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by moomooo)
    Definitely keep notes of cases, especially interesting ones! Its probably a good idea to know the basics of a spay/castration because no doubt you'll have seen these at any first opinion SA practice, and common vaccinations. If you're asked to pick a case you've seen in interview try and think of something that could lead onto discussions/further questions, for example cancer or something ethical. That way you get the opportunity to lead the interview towards something you know about. Also if you've mentioned a case in your PS they are likely to ask about it, golden opportunity as above. Definitely look up epidemics such as TB, foot and mouth, bluetongue, BSE and how these were managed.
    OK. I've been keeping notes so that will come in handy, I'll research cases further and I see what you mean about ethical and controversial cases.
    Thanks for the advice

ReputationRep:
    Basically I'm prob going to say similar to other people....

It is not that you will be expected to know about procedures out of the blue for interview...it will all be about what you have seen/observed etc. Some of the questions should be about the routine stuff...such as vaccines etc. If you have been at a vets for a few weeks...chances are you will have seen countless cats/dogs/rabbits come for vaccines. Have you just stood and literally just watched them be injected. Or, have you actually taken in a bit of what has happened. Are you aware of the fact for example dog vaccines are given over two points? How are they given (eg: have you noticed that kennel cough is given up the nose?) And so on...you don't have to know every little vaccine detail parrot fashion, but have you observed/asked questions/read up at all on what you have seen.

Chances are most places will ask you about at least one operation/case. You can often 'prepare' for this by mentioning something in your PS, or at least having something up your sleeve that you know about. Probably worth having a couple of things - large animal, small animal. Maybe an operation and case/ongoing situtation. Again, you don't need to know everything, but they will be wanting to see if you have bothered to pay any attention...so don't worry if you don't know one question or so, but try and make sure you can talk about something. Don't list of impressive names of procedures on your PS if you then can't talk about them when asked!!

An example from one of my interviews...I was in the middle of a sheep placements during my interview and was asked about what we were currently doing. I said we had just finished vaccinating and drenching the ewes prior to lambing. Then was asked what we were vac and drenching for. Then then asked me a bit about how vaccines work, and how resistance can develop to wormers. I'm a grad applicant, so they will have expected a bit higher knowledge level from me. But that is what I mean about questions leading onto other things. When you say you have seen xxx operation, it is reasonable to assume that you will know what that is, why it was done, and a little bit about what was done.

Things like the disinfectant that ponyvet mentioned above. Again, don't get hung up on having to 'learn' everything you do on placements. But...what it is about it being aware of what is happening. For example, just saying you have worked for a week at a kennels doesn't mean anything. What did you do/learn/see. If you say you spent most of the time cleaning kennels out...fine. But, did you literally just clean because you were told to. Or, do you realise the importance of hygiene and cleanliness. Do you realise the role of disinfectants etc in disease control and so on.

Seriously...you don't need to swallow textbooks for your interview. Just be aware of what you have seen! A book that a few people on here found useful was Blacks Veterinary Dictionary (they paperback student edition is pretty cheap on amazon). It is useful for looking up words you may hear/see on placements so you know a bit more what people are on about!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kookabura)
    Basically I'm prob going to say similar to other people....

It is not that you will be expected to know about procedures out of the blue for interview...it will all be about what you have seen/observed etc. Some of the questions should be about the routine stuff...such as vaccines etc. If you have been at a vets for a few weeks...chances are you will have seen countless cats/dogs/rabbits come for vaccines. Have you just stood and literally just watched them be injected. Or, have you actually taken in a bit of what has happened. Are you aware of the fact for example dog vaccines are given over two points? How are they given (eg: have you noticed that kennel cough is given up the nose?) And so on...you don't have to know every little vaccine detail parrot fashion, but have you observed/asked questions/read up at all on what you have seen.

Chances are most places will ask you about at least one operation/case. You can often 'prepare' for this by mentioning something in your PS, or at least having something up your sleeve that you know about. Probably worth having a couple of things - large animal, small animal. Maybe an operation and case/ongoing situtation. Again, you don't need to know everything, but they will be wanting to see if you have bothered to pay any attention...so don't worry if you don't know one question or so, but try and make sure you can talk about something. Don't list of impressive names of procedures on your PS if you then can't talk about them when asked!!

An example from one of my interviews...I was in the middle of a sheep placements during my interview and was asked about what we were currently doing. I said we had just finished vaccinating and drenching the ewes prior to lambing. Then was asked what we were vac and drenching for. Then then asked me a bit about how vaccines work, and how resistance can develop to wormers. I'm a grad applicant, so they will have expected a bit higher knowledge level from me. But that is what I mean about questions leading onto other things. When you say you have seen xxx operation, it is reasonable to assume that you will know what that is, why it was done, and a little bit about what was done.

Things like the disinfectant that ponyvet mentioned above. Again, don't get hung up on having to 'learn' everything you do on placements. But...what it is about it being aware of what is happening. For example, just saying you have worked for a week at a kennels doesn't mean anything. What did you do/learn/see. If you say you spent most of the time cleaning kennels out...fine. But, did you literally just clean because you were told to. Or, do you realise the importance of hygiene and cleanliness. Do you realise the role of disinfectants etc in disease control and so on.

Seriously...you don't need to swallow textbooks for your interview. Just be aware of what you have seen! A book that a few people on here found useful was Blacks Veterinary Dictionary (they paperback student edition is pretty cheap on amazon). It is useful for looking up words you may hear/see on placements so you know a bit more what people are on about!!
    Thanks for the long reply, I see what you mean. I was going to buy the Blacks Veterinary Dictionary actually but my mum thought I should wait a while as she thinks its too early, although it's always been clear to me that becoming a vet is my life long ambition.

Thanks for the advice I will take it on board & be more observant as I can see it's an important aspect of w/e.

ReputationRep:
    Black's vet dictionary is a classic textbook and a very popular reference. It's very good and I found it helpful when I did my first degree (animal science) too, so don't worry about buying it prematurely. It's worth checking out ebay for vet books and other related bits and pieces.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ponyvet)
    Black's vet dictionary is a classic textbook and a very popular reference. It's very good and I found it helpful when I did my first degree (animal science) too, so don't worry about buying it prematurely. It's worth checking out ebay for vet books and other related bits and pieces.
    Will do, I'll try to buy it ASAP
    Although there's some vet dictionary's on Google Books for Free!

ReputationRep:
    Helloo.

Could anybody kindly take a look at my work experience and think of any placements that I need to get? I'm aware I have quite a few weeks already, but I'd like to apply in September so will need to book more stuff over the summer.

-2 weeks lambing (at 2 different setups- hill/indoors)
    -2 weeks pig farm
    -1 week horse stud
    -1 week kennels/cattery
    -1 day abbatoir
    -1 week mixed practice
    -1 week equine clinic
    -1 week LA practice
    -2 x 2 days each at 2 different SA practices

Also:
    -2 and half years (will be 3 years by Sep) ongoing Saturday job at busy mixed practice
    -1 week booked at a vet lab
    -1 week booked at Leahurst
    -And hours volunteering at a riding school when I was younger (like from 7-12 years old?) which I’m not sure would count

I also live on a dairy farm and converted boarding kennels. Have emailed the uni's who mainly said they'd count my dairy work exp. Thinking of maybe trying to do relief milking over the summer elsewhere though- for a reference etc? Also, thinking of contacting an animal refuge about 40mins away who look after FIV positive cats- as I thought this could be a good ethical dilemna to discuss at interviews?

Any other ideas? Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jen vet)
    Helloo.

Could anybody kindly take a look at my work experience and think of any placements that I need to get? I'm aware I have quite a few weeks already, but I'd like to apply in September so will need to book more stuff over the summer.

-2 weeks lambing (at 2 different setups- hill/indoors)
    -2 weeks pig farm
    -1 week horse stud
    -1 week kennels/cattery
    -1 day abbatoir
    -1 week mixed practice
    -1 week equine clinic
    -1 week LA practice
    -2 x 2 days each at 2 different SA practices

Also:
    -2 and half years (will be 3 years by Sep) ongoing Saturday job at busy mixed practice
    -1 week booked at a vet lab
    -1 week booked at Leahurst
    -And hours volunteering at a riding school when I was younger (like from 7-12 years old?) which I’m not sure would count

I also live on a dairy farm and converted boarding kennels. Have emailed the uni's who mainly said they'd count my dairy work exp. Thinking of maybe trying to do relief milking over the summer elsewhere though- for a reference etc? Also, thinking of contacting an animal refuge about 40mins away who look after FIV positive cats- as I thought this could be a good ethical dilemna to discuss at interviews?

Any other ideas? Thanks!
    Your work experience is very good, although I would definitely try and do a week dairy at a different farm. I think that would be more important that the animal refuge, but that would be good to get, like you said, for the ethical dilemma. There's nothing else you really need to worry about, to be honest. Where are you thinking of applying?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by steph_v)
    Your work experience is very good, although I would definitely try and do a week dairy at a different farm. I think that would be more important that the animal refuge, but that would be good to get, like you said, for the ethical dilemma. There's nothing else you really need to worry about, to be honest. Where are you thinking of applying?
    Hi, thanks.

I haven't really decided yet. Four out of Liverpool, Edinburgh, Glasgow, RVC and Nottingham. So as you can see I haven't really narrowed it down much. :p: I think I'll definately apply to Liverpool and Edinburgh though... most of the vets up here qualified from those two so I've been heavily biased by them all haha.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jen vet)
    Hi, thanks.

I haven't really decided yet. Four out of Liverpool, Edinburgh, Glasgow, RVC and Nottingham. So as you can see I haven't really narrowed it down much. :p: I think I'll definitely apply to Liverpool and Edinburgh though... most of the vets up here qualified from those two so I've been heavily biased by them all haha.
    Liverpool is the best anyway :yep: I'm from nearly as far down south as you can be and I know that, haha.
    Have you been to visit any?
    • Community Assistant
    • PS Helper
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    PS Helper
    PS Reviewer
    Liverpool is awesome . Op your work experience is excellent.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: September 17, 2018

University open days

• Heriot-Watt University
    School of Textiles and Design Undergraduate
    Fri, 16 Nov '18
  • University of Roehampton
    All departments Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
  • Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
Poll
Have you ever experienced bullying?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.