The Student Room Group

The big and shiny work experience bible

Scroll to see replies

yeah i talked about a farm animal case - bovine claw removal. I mentioned the anaesthetic, that the used a touriquet (got asked where they put this) got asked how many phalanges and joints there were in a cows foot, and if there were any cases where shouldnt do this procedure... ermm, I mentioned disarticulation and they asked how the vet exactly did this, why she 'scraped' the joint cavity etcetc. so yeah quite alot of detail. mine tryed to test me right to my limit on the case..
Hi guys - I'm looking at 2011 entry for Veterinary Medicine, and I live in East London;

I'm finding it very hard to even know where to start with getting any work experience with dairy/lambing, etc.

So far all I've been able to get is a Cattery, Stables and Guide Dogs for the Blind, which was good.

I think I may have a small animal vet and horse vet lined up also, but I still need an extra couple of weeks to be able to put me in a good stead to be able to apply for all the universities that I want to (I know Liverpool asks for 10 weeks, so I thought I may as well not ostracize myself!)

Does anyone in this area who now studies veterinary medicine have any useful contacts? Or anyone who has recently done any work placements that could help?

Thank you!
East London represent!

I don't have any contacts but can I just ask why you're getting work experience so early? It's so much easier once you're actually in the course because they organise it for you (or at least inform you of upcoming opportunities). It's so much harder (insurance, time-wise etc) to get out there before you've even graduated. Don't want to get ahead of yourself and stressed before you've even started.
The courses ask for a certain amount of work experience upon application.

I've no idea how people manage to do it and still get good grades, but never mind :P
BobbinJane
East London represent!

I don't have any contacts but can I just ask why you're getting work experience so early? It's so much easier once you're actually in the course because they organise it for you (or at least inform you of upcoming opportunities). It's so much harder (insurance, time-wise etc) to get out there before you've even graduated. Don't want to get ahead of yourself and stressed before you've even started.

vet schools wont even glance at your application if you dont have work exp

then during the course you are required to do 38 weeks more
Reply 885
Caraghk123
yeah i talked about a farm animal case - bovine claw removal. I mentioned the anaesthetic, that the used a touriquet (got asked where they put this) got asked how many phalanges and joints there were in a cows foot, and if there were any cases where shouldnt do this procedure... ermm, I mentioned disarticulation and they asked how the vet exactly did this, why she 'scraped' the joint cavity etcetc. so yeah quite alot of detail. mine tryed to test me right to my limit on the case..

WOW :O Lucky! Do you mind me asking what you got for GCSE's?
Thanks, just need to know what to aim at!

:smile:
Annaconda
vet schools wont even glance at your application if you dont have work exp

then during the course you are required to do 38 weeks more

Strange, Glasgow uni not only glanced, but approved it. I'd already got a science degree so perhaps that was the difference.

In that case, since it's a requirement, have you tried ZSL? I know they do internships - was thinking of applying for one for next summer.
Reply 887
You got a place at Glasgow for Veterinary Medicine without ANY work experience? Yeah, right.

But, OP, have you considered staying in a B + B to get some work experience? I've got contacts in West Sussex, that's about an hour and a half away. Another option you have is to take a gap year and get the work experience you need then. The vet schools may take it into consideration that you live in London, but they really are in the position to pick and choose so some farm experience would really, really help. If you're looking for any veterinary experience, you could try searching the RCVS's 'Find a Vet' page, here. Most applicants will have more than 1 week SA, 1 week equine, so that might be worth a try.
Thank you very much!

Yeah - I guess I could do the B+B, they like it when you show dedication and go out your way I think - so those contacts would be very helpful!

I think I'll pester city farms some more.. :smile:

Thanks!
I'm in a similar position- try living in south london it's even worse! I've pretty much given up on getting dairy/lambing. Try the city farms, there not as impressive I guess but at least it shows you've made an effort (fingers crossed). I'm more interested in small animal medicine as well as wildlife (opposite ends of the spectrum i know) so I had work experience at London zoo. It's very competitive and you have to apply in january for the following summer in writing, check the website for details. I guess we have an advantage as we can talk about the urban issues relating to animals that we've seen first hand at interview, such as the dangerous dogs act , road traffic injuries etc. This is the type of field I would like to work in if I qualify so as long as you can justify why you don't have work experience in agriculture and get as much as you can elsewhere I think you will be fine :smile:
Awh thanks a lot - yeah I might try that too.

I contacted Mudchute City Farms, and, no overexaggerating, FIVE times, and they still haven't got me anywhere.

I think I'll call back tomorrow.
Reply 891
Thankyou. :smile:

I've been to Edinburgh and I've booked to look round Notts, Liverpool and Bristol. :smile: I managed to pass my driving test today as well, so that looks good for summer work experience. :biggrin:
Reply 892
Hey. I live in West London, you can find some farms that will put you up, which is what I did for lambing down in Wales. What I did was to call up random vets practices in mixed areas, followed up by e-mails etc. asking if 1. I could work with them & 2. if they knew farmers who'd put me up to do lambing / calving. You're free labour and if yo're a quick learner you're sure to find somewhere. I had evidence and past exp (mixed practice, stables, etc) which I emphasised. You'll call 10 different places and one will be helpful. Its just a matter of perservering. How about Odds Farm? That's near London somewhere from what I can remember. I reckon, tho some may disagree, that its better to call & e-mail LOADS of places rather than the same place 5 times, tho it can work either way (5 times they may see how serious u are blah blah :smile: ). If ya have a standard e-mail u can send to loads of people, then its no harm at all.

Also there may be people u kno who have contacts - one of my teachers at school's son knew a vet, so I got contacts off her, tho none of them replied to me (or said 'I'll call u back' and never did).

Sorry that's a bit of a jumble n mumble, but hope htere's something a tad helpful there! If ya need any contacts I've got stables & small animal in West London. I also did ZSL too which was ace. xx
katieza
WOW :O Lucky! Do you mind me asking what you got for GCSE's?
Thanks, just need to know what to aim at!

:smile:

I'm a grad applicant so bit different. I also did scottish intermediate 2's and standard grades haha.

You can do a maximum of 8 and I got 7 A's and a B.. messed up my "a level equivalent" though.
Also yeh, know about vaccines but also a bit about current news things. like PETs Travel Scheme. I got asked about this, and a bit about what diseases may be spread due to it, and if I thought it was a good or bad thing...

Basically learn everything on the DEFRA website in disease and farming sections.
Reply 895
WOW :O still I envy the position your in, I'd love to be a vet student!
Reply 896
what zoop said ^^ but i'm from west london too

farmy stuff - i went and stayed two hours away to do work experience on a farm lambing, and i also done work experience at an urban farm which was good too.

if you get out there they're likely to acknowledge it more! it shows dedication and stuff

good luckkkk xxx
can anyone from sussex recommend kennels or similar where i could get some canine-related work experience?

so far kennels have been the only places to turn me away!
Reply 898
where abouts in Sussex? I live in Haywards heath, have worked at cherrytree kennels and cattery in balcombe for 3 years, They def do w/e, not sure if its easy to get, but im sure it probs is, They have vet students come do work exp as well. if you wants deets pm me :smile:
Reply 899
Are there no rescue kennels in your area?, they are normally begging for volunteers to help out. I'm helping out at my local rescue kennels once a week at the mo but in essex I'm afraid.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending