Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by schizopear)
    can anyone from sussex recommend kennels or similar where i could get some canine-related work experience?

so far kennels have been the only places to turn me away!
    Whereabouts in Sussex? I used to work in one near Arundel. I know there's two near Worthing that take people too.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by steph_v)
    Whereabouts in Sussex? I used to work in one near Arundel. I know there's two near Worthing that take people too.
    arundel might be a bit far for me but worthing is definitely doable. would you mind pm me the details?

edit: forgot my manners! thank you!

ReputationRep:
    Hi!
    Hope everyones exams are going well!
    Does anyone know of any farm vets in sussex? Ive been to a mixed practice, but didnt see hardly any farm stuff...
    Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kitkat_1)
    Hi!
    Hope everyones exams are going well!
    Does anyone know of any farm vets in sussex? Ive been to a mixed practice, but didnt see hardly any farm stuff...
    Thanks!
    I know one in Petworth? Is that near you?

ReputationRep:
    Hi ! Would anyone mind looking at my work experience and coming up with other placements I need to do?
    So far I've done:
    - 6 weeks lambing (over 3 years)
    - 3 weeks at a small animal vets
    - 8 months Saturday mornings at a racehorse stables
    - Currently working 2 Saturdays a month at a dairy farm
    - 2 weekends at a different dairy farm

I've arranged to do these too:
    - 1 week on a pig farm
    - A week at a different small animal vets
    - A week at a mixed (farm animal/small) vets
    - A week at a canine referral centre
    - A week at the RSPCA (waiting to hear for definite once I'm 18)

Any other ideas? I've been trying all the abattoirs in my area (Sussex) but noone will take me, so if anyone knows of any abattoirs that would be great too !
    Thank you !
    • Community Assistant
    • PS Helper
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    PS Helper
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by ems.w)
    Hi ! Would anyone mind looking at my work experience and coming up with other placements I need to do?
    So far I've done:

- 1 week on a pig farm

Any other ideas? I've been trying all the abattoirs in my area (Sussex) but noone will take me, so if anyone knows of any abattoirs that would be great too !
    Thank you !
    Your work experience once completed will be perfect. . Is the referral centre a kennels? If so thats fine .
    Just do anything else you fancy from now on . Maybe another week at a large animal vets, or a week at a wildlife centre or something. . Congratulations.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ems.w)
    So far I've done:

- 1 week on a pig farm

Thank you !
    Your work experience is really good, but maybe a week at an equine vets? If you live in Sussex, there's one near Arundel (it's about a 5 minute walk from Ford station), and they definitely take people if you phone them up. Don't send a letter, it will be ignored. And good luck finding an abattoir that will take you in Sussex, I've tried most places within a 100 mile radius with no luck

ReputationRep:
    Any other ideas? I've been trying all the abattoirs in my area (Sussex)
    You live in Brighton! Me to!! and your work experience looks good!
    I know one in Petworth? Is that near you?
    Thanks Steph, but thats quite a way from me... I will probably just get some more time at the mixed practice.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by skatealexia)
    Your work experience once completed will be perfect. . Is the referral centre a kennels? If so thats fine .
    Just do anything else you fancy from now on . Maybe another week at a large animal vets, or a week at a wildlife centre or something. . Congratulations.
    ahh brilliant thank you ! the referral centre does canine behaviour, hydrotherapy etc so not really a kennels, i'll have to try get some work exp at a kennels and maybe a wildlife centre/large animal vets anyone know of any kennels/wildlife centres in sussex that take people?

And Steph, thank you too ! I know, the abattoirs in Sussex seem to take nobody at all or only vet school students The equine vets sounds good though, is that the one actually called Arundel Equine Vets? (sorry i know it's a stupid question!) - it's just that if it is i've already asked there and they told me they only take vet students too but thank you !

hope everyone's exams are going ok

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kitkat_1)
    You live in Brighton! Me to!! and your work experience looks good!

Thanks Steph, but thats quite a way from me... I will probably just get some more time at the mixed practice.
    Ahh that's really cool, we've probably done work experience at the same places ! lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ems.w)
    ahh brilliant thank you ! the referral centre does canine behaviour, hydrotherapy etc so not really a kennels, i'll have to try get some work exp at a kennels and maybe a wildlife centre/large animal vets anyone know of any kennels/wildlife centres in sussex that take people?

And Steph, thank you too ! I know, the abattoirs in Sussex seem to take nobody at all or only vet school students The equine vets sounds good though, is that the one actually called Arundel Equine Vets? (sorry i know it's a stupid question!) - it's just that if it is i've already asked there and they told me they only take vet students too but thank you !

hope everyone's exams are going ok
    Well, they lied, because I've been there :p: And I know 5 other people who have. When I asked them initially, they sent me a letter saying they only take vet students, and I when I phoned up they were happy to take me.

ReputationRep:
    Well, they lied, because I've been there :p: And I know 5 other people who have. When I asked them initially, they sent me a letter saying they only take vet students, and I when I phoned up they were happy to take me.
    Ahh ok I'll have to give them a ring then, thank you !
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    has anyone done work experience on a farm at an agricultural college? or are they a bit funny about taking on students that aren't actually at the college?
    • Community Assistant
    • PS Helper
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    PS Helper
    PS Reviewer
    I did. It was a sixth form though, rather than a college, and it had a rural department, they were fine with it

ReputationRep:
    Im going to a pig farm at an agriculture college in october, and ive already done work experience in the animal care unit there... I think its good cos there will probably be students there so theres people your age to talk to!
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    ooh you're from sussex, which agricultural college are you going to?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by schizopear)
    has anyone done work experience on a farm at an agricultural college? or are they a bit funny about taking on students that aren't actually at the college?
    I went to an agricultural college, but I mostly worked in the exotic animals section, although I did work with the pigs and sheep as well. They were really willing to take me on, especially as it was in the holidays. I went to Brinsbury college, if that's local to you.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    I went to an agricultural college, but I mostly worked in the exotic animals section, although I did work with the pigs and sheep as well. They were really willing to take me on, especially as it was in the holidays. I went to Brinsbury college, if that's local to you.
    brinsbury was one that i was considering. thank you

ReputationRep:
    I'm doing most of my farm work experience at an agricultural college. I love it because the farmers aren't at all impatient if you don't know how to do something like I've heard some can be. Most have lots of different animals therefore once you've done dairy you can go back to do pigs etc. Also, there's a great atmosphere there, it's always homely

ReputationRep:
    Can anyone suggest a pig farm, nottinghamshire way at all please? I know there are quite a few north of the county, but can't seem to find phone numbers for them as I don't know their names.

If no one knows of any guess I will have to drive up their and go knocking on doors, but would prefer to ring!!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: September 17, 2018

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    UEA Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 23 Nov '18
  • Norwich University of the Arts
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Fri, 23 Nov '18
  • Edge Hill University
    All Faculties Undergraduate
    Sat, 24 Nov '18
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.