Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I think most universities require a certain level of W/E, I can remember the minimum for Bristol is 4 weeks (2 vet and 2 other) and Liverpool is 10 weeks (4 vet and 6 other). Most ask for a couple of weeks of vets practice and a couple of farm type W/E. Without looking at the website I can only assume Edinburgh is the same. Cambridge is the university requiring the least W/E and prefers academics from what I hear.

However, its always good to get a good combination. If you're applying this year then you still have a few months to get those extra bits of experience? Any would help your chances.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by Gretukas)
    Hi, I had a question. I dont have much work experience(I just had work in a farm for month) so do I have chances to get to Edinburgh? And which university dont require big work experience?
    edinburgh doesn't actually have a set minimum for work experience but they'd expect you to have at least some work experience at a veterinary practice (as would all of the universities) in addition to work with cats/dogs, horses, farm animals etc.

have a look at the universities' guidelines for information about work experience requirements and the sorts of placements that are appropriate.

ReputationRep:
    Really thank you to yours answers. I hope I can get 2weeks weekend work in privite vet clinic. And that would be my whole work experience

ReputationRep:
    What stage in your education are you?

ReputationRep:
    I am twelfth grade.

ReputationRep:
    take a gap year get your WE then apply thats my advice.
    • Community Assistant
    • PS Helper
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    PS Helper
    PS Reviewer
    whats twelfth grade? American?

ReputationRep:
    ok, my work experience:
    1 year, 4 hrs on sun RSPCA
    1 and a half years, 6 hours a week kennels and cattery
    3 weeks dairy
    1 week stables
    1 week small animal vet + 2 weeks planned (i think i still need another one...?) :confused:
    actually it doesn't seem to bad, but i won't be able to do lambing before the interview i don't think
    when are the interviews?
    and large animal practise seems outta the question :/
    :woo: :woo: :woo:
    • Community Assistant
    • PS Helper
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    PS Helper
    PS Reviewer
    The interviews and between november, and latest march. I personally got to do lambing in feb, before three of my interviews . When are you thinking of applying? . You definately need another week or hopefully two vetwise for liverpool
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    does anyone know of any big equine practices/hospitals anywhere in the country that take work experience peeps? given up trying to find one that i can commute to!

ReputationRep:
    don't know if it would be big enough but the Minster Equine practice in York takes work exp - i went a few weeks ago, they're lovely there
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by Emms123)
    don't know if it would be big enough but the Minster Equine practice in York takes work exp - i went a few weeks ago, they're lovely there
    just googled them, thanks! was it very busy when you were there?

i only specified big practices because i don't want to have to travel and pay for accommodation and then not see anything because it's only a small practice and they're having a quiet week!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by schizopear)
    just googled them, thanks! was it very busy when you were there?

i only specified big practices because i don't want to have to travel and pay for accommodation and then not see anything because it's only a small practice and they're having a quiet week!
    it was fairly busy - there were a couple of days where the afternoons were quiet. i saw fair few ops and there were horses in out and the clinic nearly all day. didn't go on any call outs, but i don't know if that's an age thing? i'm only 16, you probs have to be 18 i'd guess? the people are really nice and explained everything that was going on though
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by Emms123)
    it was fairly busy - there were a couple of days where the afternoons were quiet. i saw fair few ops and there were horses in out and the clinic nearly all day. didn't go on any call outs, but i don't know if that's an age thing? i'm only 16, you probs have to be 18 i'd guess? the people are really nice and explained everything that was going on though
    thanks for your help. i've made a note of them but york is a couple of hundred miles away so i'd like to exhaust any closer options first!

ReputationRep:
    Hi I was wondering if anyone has any advice on my work experience ie anything I've missed or advice on what I should shouldn't mention in my personal statement. Thanks in advance =D

6 months 1 day a week stables or school of equitation :P - this was three years ago but was a very good placement - the rest are all within the last year.

2 weeks mixed vets with attached cattery.

1 week lambing - planned again for next year.

1 year once approximately once a fortnight dairy.

1 day horse leg dissection (does this count?)

1 week equine vet.

1 week volunteering on a intelligent horsemanship course

Booked

1 weeks Wildlife hospital

Hoping to do

Abattoir - Definitely this is nearly booked
    Pigs (the dairy had two I fed but I don't suppose that counts hehe) Possible
    Poultry
    Another week at a different mixed vet - Definitely again this is close to booked
    Kennels
    Something else amazing?

I've also done lots of paid dog walking, pet sitting, mucking and looking after other peoples animals (I might be house sitting some Alpacas soon but I presume this is the sort of thing they would be less interested in?

Oh and if anyone looking for equine vet work experience the Three Counties Equine Hospital is brilliant, really friendly and lots going on.
    • Community Assistant
    • PS Helper
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    PS Helper
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by Nutterfly)
    Hi I was wondering if anyone has any advice on my work experience ie anything I've missed or advice on what I should shouldn't mention in my personal statement. Thanks in advance =D

6 months 1 day a week stables or school of equitation :P - this was three years ago but was a very good placement - the rest are all within the last year.

2 weeks mixed vets with attached cattery.

1 week lambing - planned again for next year.

1 year once approximately once a fortnight dairy.

1 day horse leg dissection (does this count?)

1 week equine vet.

1 week volunteering on a intelligent horsemanship course

Booked

1 weeks Wildlife hospital

Hoping to do

Abattoir - Definitely this is nearly booked
    Pigs (the dairy had two I fed but I don't suppose that counts hehe) Possible
    Poultry
    Another week at a different mixed vet - Definitely again this is close to booked
    Kennels
    Something else amazing?

I've also done lots of paid dog walking, pet sitting, mucking and looking after other peoples animals (I might be house sitting some Alpacas soon but I presume this is the sort of thing they would be less interested in?

Oh and if anyone looking for equine vet work experience the Three Counties Equine Hospital is brilliant, really friendly and lots going on.
    Sounds good so far . Definately get the kennels, and anything else is the bonus .

ReputationRep:
    Thanks I appreciate it, I'll get hold of the local kennels then I just need nice mr abattoir man to get back from his holiday =)

Congratulation on becoming a Liverpool vet!

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone know whether you have to have all your work experience when you apply to unis or whether you can have some before applying and have some booked in for before you would start (if accepted)? How do they view this?

Thanks!
    • Community Assistant
    • PS Helper
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    PS Helper
    PS Reviewer
    I would have all the requirements before applying, as most people have and its looks better done, than booked . But I'd still have some booked as well. As its a section of the liverpool questionnaire.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by skatealexia)
    I would have all the requirements before applying, as most people have and its looks better done, than booked . But I'd still have some booked as well. As its a section of the liverpool questionnaire.
    Thanks I'm unlikely to apply in this country (I'm a graduate and would just like to live abroad) but the same probably holds for most other places!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: September 17, 2018

University open days

• University of Bradford
    All faculties Undergraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
  • Buckinghamshire New University
    All Faculties Postgraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
  • Heriot-Watt University
    All Schools Postgraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.