Turn on thread page Beta

The big and shiny work experience bible watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Wooo i have a weeks practice at a vets in half term I found out today Not sure if it is 5 or 7 days but im so happy as it's probably the best/biggest in my area and have previously been regected by them but my mum went in today and managed to secure a place for me yay The vets also said they might get me out on a farm on one of the days.
    • Community Assistant
    • PS Helper
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    PS Helper
    PS Reviewer
    Woop, well done

ReputationRep:
    I'm hopefully volunteering at a Kennel
    I live in Holland and can't speak dutch that well, so that's the only thing that might be a problem :/
    HOPEFULLY, it won't be!

By the way, has anyone volunteered at a kennel before? (for dogs)... what sorts of things do you have to do?

Thanks (:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by itsjordan)
    I'm hopefully volunteering at a Kennel
    I live in Holland and can't speak dutch that well, so that's the only thing that might be a problem :/
    HOPEFULLY, it won't be!

By the way, has anyone volunteered at a kennel before? (for dogs)... what sorts of things do you have to do?

Thanks (:
    I did a week at a kennels and then got a Saturday job there.
    Your duties will most probably involve;
    Preparing dogs meals, giving dogs meals, letting dogs out for exercise, cleaning kennels (you will spend most of your time doing this!), moping surrounding areas, washing bowls, scooping up poo, collecting incoming dogs and returning ones who are going home, showing customers around, maybe take some bookings and laundary. Oh and of course playing and cuddling dogs if you have time

The majority of kennels will have a set routine for you to follow and after a day you should be into the swing of things. I doubt they will leave you alone if it's work expereince, so you will be helping a member of staff with their duties.

You'll have a great time....hopefully they will be able to speak a little english!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by emmataylor07)
    I did a week at a kennels and then got a Saturday job there.
    Your duties will most probably involve;
    Preparing dogs meals, giving dogs meals, letting dogs out for exercise, cleaning kennels (you will spend most of your time doing this!), moping surrounding areas, washing bowls, scooping up poo, collecting incoming dogs and returning ones who are going home, showing customers around, maybe take some bookings and laundary. Oh and of course playing and cuddling dogs if you have time

The majority of kennels will have a set routine for you to follow and after a day you should be into the swing of things. I doubt they will leave you alone if it's work expereince, so you will be helping a member of staff with their duties.
    Ooooh, it sounds cool (:
    I really hope they accept me now

Thanks for letting me know!

You'll have a great time....hopefully they will be able to speak a little english![/QUOTE]

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Orchestral)
    Hey

Can some kind peeps give me their opinions on my work experience please?

When I apply in mid Oct, I will have:

One week lambing
    Two weeks rescue centre (split between two places)
    Two weeks in one mixed vet practice
    Two weeks working on a farm of an agricultural college with a variety of animals
    One week stables

Is this enough for me to have a reasonable chance at getting in in 2011? Also have a degree and will have A-levels.

Thanks
    You should definitely apply. But i'd say you should get more experience in a veterinary practice, especially if you want to meet liverpools minimum requirements. So maybe you could fix up a few weeks experience in a SA / LA / equine vet practice to strengthen your application. You've got all the basic things so then you should start getting the unusual experience which will make your app stand out like: vet lab, zoo, seal sanctuary, abattoir etc. Hope that helps. Where are you thinking of applying?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JoMC)
    You should definitely apply. But i'd say you should get more experience in a veterinary practice, especially if you want to meet liverpools minimum requirements. So maybe you could fix up a few weeks experience in a SA / LA / equine vet practice to strengthen your application. You've got all the basic things so then you should start getting the unusual experience which will make your app stand out like: vet lab, zoo, seal sanctuary, abattoir etc. Hope that helps. Where are you thinking of applying?
    Thanks for your reply Jo

I visited an abattoir with a farmer and had a day with an equine vet...didn't know if they were worth mentioning but I suppose it all helps, and I learnt quite a lot at the abattoir!

I was thinking of Cambridge, RVC, Liverpool and Glasgow but not 100% sure yet! Are you a vet/at vet school/applying?

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for your reply Jo

I visited an abattoir with a farmer and had a day with an equine vet...didn't know if they were worth mentioning but I suppose it all helps, and I learnt quite a lot at the abattoir!

I was thinking of Cambridge, RVC, Liverpool and Glasgow but not 100% sure yet! Are you a vet/at vet school/applying?
    Def mention everything you have done! Esp the abattoire, it is a real stand out placement as not many people will have it, and it shows you do understand the 'other side' of working with animals.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for your reply Jo

Just finished my a levels with aab and so applied for uni in the last cycle, going to rvc for the gateway programme next yr after a gap year !
    Definitely mention everything you've done though...every little helps :P! Good luck

ReputationRep:
    Hello, I was wondering if anyone could help me find an abattoir placement in South Wales (I live in Cardiff). So far I have not had much luck finding a place that will have me. I am willing to travel a bit as I plan to only do one day. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

(I'm 18+ and on a gap year if that helps).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AdamKr)
    Hello, I was wondering if anyone could help me find an abattoir placement in South Wales. So far I have not had much luck finding a place that will have me. I am willing to travel a bit as I plan to only do one day. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Theres one in Haverfordwest but I cant think of the name. I'll have a think and let you know

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AdamKr)
    Hello, I was wondering if anyone could help me find an abattoir placement in South Wales (I live in Cardiff). So far I have not had much luck finding a place that will have me. I am willing to travel a bit as I plan to only do one day. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Have a look through here...

http://www.tracingpaper.org.uk/foodt...attoirs/wales/

ReputationRep:
    I think it could have been the Pembrokeshire Meat Company

ReputationRep:
    Really need to find a farm in Kent. Anyone know one??

ReputationRep:
    Hi i've just signed up on here

I'm 13 and wondering if its too early to start doing work ex
    • Community Assistant
    • PS Helper
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    PS Helper
    PS Reviewer
    Never too early to start
    • Community Assistant
    • PS Helper
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    PS Helper
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by danoo)
    Hi i've just signed up on here

I'm 13 and wondering if its too early to start doing work ex

Quoted for attention. Read previous post.

ReputationRep:
    hi im trying to get a saterday job at a kennels, would this count for work ex
    • Community Assistant
    • PS Helper
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    PS Helper
    PS Reviewer
    yes

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone know any dairy farms around Manchester that take people on for work experience?
    I haven't had any luck finding any ):

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: September 17, 2018

University open days

• Manchester Metropolitan University
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 14 Nov '18
  • University of Chester
    Chester campuses Undergraduate
    Wed, 14 Nov '18
  • Anglia Ruskin University
    Ambitious, driven, developing your career & employability? Aspiring in your field, up-skilling after a career break? Then our Postgrad Open Evening is for you. Postgraduate
    Wed, 14 Nov '18
Poll
Should Banksy be put in prison?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.