Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Woop a cattery sorted today Going to see her in a week or too

ReputationRep:
    is there anything in particular you want to do?
    you could just ring up and say hello i'm a student looking for work experience and i was wondering if there was a chance i could help you, particularly if you have a lambing enterprise on the farm etc..

ReputationRep:
    I've often found if you google the names of the farms from the yellow pages you will find something that means you can work out what they are. Or, if they are near you, drive/travel past them and see what they have. Or google map addresses, you can often see what animals it looks like they have from there!

ReputationRep:
    im looking for pig farms manly because there are loads of sheep and dairy farms i know of.

ReputationRep:
    Interview for kennels on saturday woop on a roll

ReputationRep:
    Woo 2x 1 week placements at a small/small and mixed animal vet at two different places, im so happy!

ReputationRep:
    Where on Earth do you find the time to fit it all in?
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    Ask you local vets perhaps (especially if they are mixed practise), or if you have worked for one farm ask if they know of any particular farms that interest you.

If you call up, say you need work experience, ask what animals they have. Then ask them if they can provide with the names of other local farms with particular types of animals etc. Most will be happy and some will even provide the phone numbers for you!

ReputationRep:
    I've done it over the summer after GCSEs, weekends, the october half-term, the feb half-term, the april half-term, the summer after year 12 and then its application time!

Basically, any time I can! Its a commitment that a lot of my friends don't understand but its what you have to do to get in :P

ReputationRep:
    Hey all. I'm in my AS year. I was wondering does the work experience after the AS year summer holidays still count towards your UCAS application beause I realise you start to apply after the first year holidays and it's impossible for me to fit in all my work experience by next summer?! So for example if i book something for 2012 feb half term, may, easter, summer etc which i haven't done by the time i apply how does this work?

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    I think its fine to do that. I'm pretty sure they prefer to have it before you apply but you can put that you are going to complete say a weeks dairy in August.

I'd make sure that someone confirms this as I'm not 100% xxx
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    If you do work experience every single half term except xmas, and do nothing but work experience in the summer hols I'm sure you can meet Liverpool's requirement of 10weeks worth. Pretty much what I did. Also, if you volunteer for a few hours every weekend at a placement for instance, that should be OK.

It's best to get most done before you apply, however, as it's a competitive course. Who would you choose if they had the academic performance etc.: someone with 10 weeks done + more planned or someone with 4 weeks done + more planned later ?

ReputationRep:
    O right well that has completely slipped my mind about the application dates. I wasn't going to do any may bank holiday due to being close to the exams but i guess this has to be done?

ReputationRep:
    I'd be careful! Without the grades you won't even be considered. So you need to find a way of getting the grades AND doing the w/e.

I know I didn't do any in the holiday prior to any exams.

ReputationRep:
    Right:

Already have:
    1 week SA (altogether)
    6hours stables
    16hours kennels (altogether)

October - SA vets
    Christmas - Nothing
    February - SA vets
    Easter - Lambing & going away
    May - Nothing (thinking revising this week for exams)
    Summer - 1 week SA, 1 week Kennels
    On going - 2hours every 2 weeks Wildlife santuary

Planning on getting 1 week LA and 1 week equine vets which will have to do in the summer. I also need 1 week dairy farm.

Also have cattery interview this weekend. Because i want to save the summer for the LA and equine week placements, is it ok to do a day every 2 weeks for 5 weeks+ to make up a week of cattery?

So because i can't fit all this work experience in by the application time, would it be ok to make it up at a weekend, e.g. work 1 or 2 days each weekend to make up the weeks at different places?

ReputationRep:
    if youre pushed for time cancel the week in a kennels, seems pointless when you already have some time in a kennels and could be doing something more important work ex wise. plus if youre getting a cattery as well i'd say the extra week kennels wouldnt add anything particuarly spectacular to your application.

ReputationRep:
    I'm struggling to find any LA or equine vets near me. The nearest ones are like an hour a way, i don't have any friends/family who leave that far away and train links don't take you near them. How do I go about this?

ReputationRep:
    See if they have accomadation you can use, check for B&B's nearby, check bus routes, commute there if you can drive yourself or see if parents will take you, taxi, etc.

Some methods are extremely costly, so it's generally finding what works best for you.

ReputationRep:
    Exactly, i can't really do these expensive options :/ Trains alone are £30 a time?!?!+bus, as for taxi's lol

ReputationRep:
    I would like to apply next year for 2012 entry. Could you give me any tips on the work experience i have so far please: Like what i need to do for definite, what i need more time doing, less time doing etc. I'm really struggling for time because I thought I would have my A2 year for doing w.e before applying! so I'm not sure how I'm going to fit it all in.

Thanks!

Ones in pink are the ones i have done/have booked

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: September 17, 2018

University open days

• University of Roehampton
    All departments Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
  • Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
  • Bournemouth University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.