The Student Room Group
The Great Hall at University of Leeds
University of Leeds
Leeds

University of Leeds applicant day (Engineering)

Hi, so I have applied for a place at Leeds (Mechanical engineering) and I am just wondering if any one who has been to one of these applicant days at Leeds can answer my question.
Basically it mentions that I will have an interview with an academic, I'm just wondering what types of questions they ask and how I should prepare.

Thanks in advance! 😄
Reply 1
Original post by Exavior
Hi, so I have applied for a place at Leeds (Mechanical engineering) and I am just wondering if any one who has been to one of these applicant days at Leeds can answer my question.
Basically it mentions that I will have an interview with an academic, I'm just wondering what types of questions they ask and how I should prepare.

Thanks in advance! 😄

If you have an invite then you pretty much will get an offer. It's just a relatively casual chat about yourself and your interest in the course. In fact you might find a lot of it will be them trying to persuade you to make them your Firm Offer...

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
The Great Hall at University of Leeds
University of Leeds
Leeds
Reply 2
Original post by jneill
If you have an invite then you pretty much will get an offer. It's just a relatively casual chat about yourself and your interest in the course. In fact you might find a lot of it will be them trying to persuade you to make them your Firm Offer...

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oh okay Thanks allot. This is reassuring 😀
Reply 3
Original post by jneill

Posted from TSR Mobile

I too have an applicant day on the 6th of Dec, and was wondering what to wear, and how to prepare (is the interview just a casual chat or are they looking for you to talk about the uni and your personal statements, and other general interview style questions?)
Reply 4
Original post by anon_1233
I too have an applicant day on the 6th of Dec, and was wondering what to wear, and how to prepare (is the interview just a casual chat or are they looking for you to talk about the uni and your personal statements, and other general interview style questions?)

Wear whatever you feel comfortable in - some will dress smartly (suits, etc) but it is not necessary. And preparation isn't needed, except to maybe familiarise yourself with your personal statement in case you get asked about something you mentioned.
Reply 5
Original post by jneill
Wear whatever you feel comfortable in - some will dress smartly (suits, etc) but it is not necessary. And preparation isn't needed, except to maybe familiarise yourself with your personal statement in case you get asked about something you mentioned.

Okay thanks a lot :smile:, I can't imagine wearing a suit on the train journey up to Leeds (I'm travelling from just outside of London)
Reply 6
Original post by anon_1233
Okay thanks a lot :smile:, I can't imagine wearing a suit on the train journey up to Leeds (I'm travelling from just outside of London)

So don't :smile:
It said something about an engineering activity and I'm just wondering what that would be? I'm nervous.
Hi, I went on one of these a few weeks ago.
Engineering activity is to design something that will stop an egg from cracking when it's dropped.

Interview is about 10 minutes, I got asked; why I wanted to study mech eng, few things about personal statement, and one technical question.

Hope this helps
Original post by lucyhannahlee
Engineering activity is to design something that will stop an egg from cracking when it's dropped.

Interview is about 10 minutes, I got asked; why I wanted to study mech eng, few things about personal statement, and one technical question.

Hope this helps

Thanks! That's helpful :smile:
Reply 10
Hi I have an interview there tomorrow was just wondering will they ask me academic questions to test my knowledge or are they more likely to ask me things about the course and why I would like to study at Leeds ?

Thanks
Original post by Exavior

Thanks in advance! 😄

Hi, I will be applying next year, btw did u apply for BEng or MEng. Can I know what ur stats are including (I)GCSEs
Reply 12
Original post by lucyhannahlee

Hope this helps

Hi! Im just wondering what the technical question was? (if you can remember)
cas I havent revised any of that, iv mainly focused on how to answer questions like why I want to study there.

Also for the engineering activity, what materials do you get given?

Thanks!
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 13
[QUOTE="Rohit_Rocks10;68896510"]Hi, I will be applying next year, btw did u apply for BEng or MEng. Can I know what ur stats are including (I)GCSEs[/QUOTE

Hi. I have applied for the MEng course with the year in industry aswell. At AS I got:
Maths - A
Physics - A
Psychology - A
Product Design - A

As for GCSE I got
A* (Maths, Physics, Chemistry)
A (History, Graphics, Further maths, Biology
B(Eng lit, Eng lang, Art)
C(German)
Reply 14
Original post by Rohit_Rocks10
Hi, I will be applying next year, btw did u apply for BEng or MEng. Can I know what ur stats are including (I)GCSEs

Hi, sorry I didnt mention A2 predictions, A*AA (Maths, Physics, Product design)
I'm applying to Leeds for physics, does anyone know how serious/formal the interview on the applicant visit day is
do we not get an offer until after the applicant day? my track hasn't updated yet and I'd rather not wait till mid February to get my offer :x
Reply 17
I have been invited for Applicant day for EEE and I have been wondering what the 30 mins maths test is like, I mean is hard or is it As or A2 staff.

Quick Reply

Latest