Turn on thread page Beta
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Basically, my current AS's are AAC (but I was predicted a B in the subject I got a C if that helps.)

I want to apply to a few universities that expect an AAB (eg. York, University of Sheffield, etc), but seeing as I currently don't meet the grade criteria, should I forget about it or try my luck?

Any help/info/advice would really be much appreciated!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by OnlyMe!)
    Basically, my current AS's are AAC (but I was predicted a B in the subject I got a C if that helps.)

I want to apply to a few universities that expect an AAB (eg. York, University of Sheffield, etc), but seeing as I currently don't meet the grade criteria, should I forget about it or try my luck?

Any help/info/advice would really be much appreciated!
    Hello OnlyMe!

I presume you are applying through UCAS? When you apply to universities through UCAS you don't actually state what results you have achieved in your AS exams if you intend to carry the subject through to A2. So for example, if you have done English, Physics and Maths you would put the subjects on your UCAS form and then select the 'Grade Pending' option as you intend to carry the AS onto A2.

The information that the admissions tutors will have is your predicted grade. Teachers are usually slightly optimistics with their predictions so we can assume that your teacher will predict you AAB if not AAA really and therefore it is likely that you will be offered a conditional place at the University because you meet the minimum requirements.

I hope that helps and if you have any other queries please let me/us (TSR) know
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by Leavis2)
    Hello OnlyMe!

I presume you are applying through UCAS? When you apply to universities through UCAS you don't actually state what results you have achieved in your AS exams if you intend to carry the subject through to A2. So for example, if you have done English, Physics and Maths you would put the subjects on your UCAS form and then select the 'Grade Pending' option as you intend to carry the AS onto A2.

The information that the admissions tutors will have is your predicted grade. Teachers are usually slightly optimistics with their predictions so we can assume that your teacher will predict you AAB if not AAA really and therefore it is likely that you will be offered a conditional place at the University because you meet the minimum requirements.

I hope that helps and if you have any other queries please let me/us (TSR) know
    Yes, I am applying through UCAS but I didn't know the procedures...

Thank you for you help! Really, it's much appreciated...

ReputationRep:
    You're welcome & good luck
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    You're welcome & good luck
    Thanks

Oh and I forgot something I took an AS in Psychology and got a D. I was predicted a B but I didn't achieve this (for various reasons including the fact that my teacher was never there and most the time, I was taught by different supply teachers) I don't wish to resit anything, I just want to drop it!

Is it necessary to mention it in my UCAS form? Do many Unis expect an AS? If I did state my results, I'd imagine it'd put many Unis off, right?

Sorry for all the questions

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by OnlyMe!)
    Thanks

Oh and I forgot something I took an AS in Psychology and got a D. I was predicted a B but I didn't achieve this (for various reasons including the fact that my teacher was never there and most the time, I was taught by different supply teachers) I don't wish to resit anything, I just want to drop it!

Is it necessary to mention it in my UCAS form? Do many Unis expect an AS? If I did state my results, I'd imagine it'd put many Unis off, right?

Sorry for all the questions
    Well there is nothing to say you have to state it on your UCAS form but unless you were applying to somewhere like Oxford or Cambridge it wouldn't really do you that much harm.

An additional AS can come in handy if competition is extremely severe but it is never essential just desireable. Universities will give you a conditional offer on the basis of your predicted A2 grades so if you're predicted AAB, for example and the course requirements are AAB then you are likely to get an offer regardless of what other AS grades you do/don't have.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Well there is nothing to say you have to state it on your UCAS form but unless you were applying to somewhere like Oxford or Cambridge it wouldn't really do you that much harm.

An additional AS can come in handy if competition is extremely severe but it is never essential just desireable. Universities will give you a conditional offer on the basis of your predicted A2 grades so if you're predicted AAB, for example and the course requirements are AAB then you are likely to get an offer regardless of what other AS grades you do/don't have.
    Ah, ok, thaaaaaank you!

ReputationRep:
    No problem at all

ReputationRep:
    Hello OnlyMe!

I thought you did write them on the form if they had been cashed in?

Poll
Have you ever experienced bullying?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.