Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    basically my offer was four As. i got 4 As. yay and all that. i was very happy.

however in one of my subjects i was lucky enough to scrape a very marginal A - 480. i probably didnt really deserve this A but nevertheless my results slip said A and there has to be a boundary somewhere!

now i hear that my school are asking for remarks of one of the papers because some people did much worse than expected in it. i am afraid that they will send my paper off. if it even goes down by one UMS mark I will have AAAB and will not have made my offer.

is this allowed? can my school send for a remark without telling me? or would they realise that since i only got 480, they shouldnt send mine off and send the others off? am i worrying for nothing?

ReputationRep:
    I'm not absolutely certain but I'm pretty certain they can't send the paper off for a re-mark without you requesting it.

Even if they can they'd be idiotic to do so.

I'd ring them to ask if you are at all worried though

ReputationRep:
    I had a paper remarked and I had to sign a declaration giving my permission for them to do it, and also had to pay. Apart from anything else, I doubt your school would bother sending yours given that they would probably need to spend money to do it.

Also it would take a lot of effort to get an external examiner to remark a whole class, if they were going to do it using everyones' exam scripts then I think they'd probably check a selection to see if the marks were fair, and not necessarily go crazy remarking.

Give your school a ring, tell them they don't have permission to request any remarks for you... They re-assessed my whole chem classes marks and they just ruled that they were marked accurately.... so I'm sure you'll be fine

ReputationRep:
    I could be wrong here but if the mark goes down don't they ignore it? Maybe I'm just getting confused with remarks. Phone the school and say you refuse to have your paper remarked. I'm sure they legally can't do that if you refuse.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    I'm sure the rule is if the grade goes up, the money is refunded, if it goes down they keep the money but your grade stays the same.

ReputationRep:
    I'm about 90% sure that if your UMS marks drop below the grade boundary, your grade will also go down i.e Remarked from 480 to 478, the grade would fall from an A to a B.

They school definitely can't get your paper remarked against your wishes.

ReputationRep:
    The school is probably only sending off the papers for those who missed their offers because of it.

ReputationRep:
    They most definitely cannot get a remark without your signature. If you want to err on the side of caution, I'd contact your school and say that you most definitely don't want to be included in any mass remark intended.
    Whatever they remark it to, sticks and your grade will be adjusted accordingly. If you go down one mark you will indeed have a B grade - it's why people usually only get them if they're just below a grade boundary. I don't know about whether they refund your money if it goes down (and your grade can't go up) but I'm guessing that's not a major concern anyway.

ReputationRep:
    If your grade is put up (as mine was from a B to an A) you don't get a refund. If your marked lower, they do put your grade down unfortunately....it stopped me from getting a paper remarked a few years ago
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    AQA refund:

if you read this: http://www.aqa.org.uk/admin/library/EAR-02.PDF

The 2nd point says theres no charge when the grade changes.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ~Kirsty~)
    AQA refund:

if you read this: http://www.aqa.org.uk/admin/library/EAR-02.PDF

The 2nd point says theres no charge when the grade changes.
    Pfft I'll be making a lovely phonecall to my college
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    They'll claim its an admin charge.

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.