English Literature and Language GCSE

Watch this thread
username2845568
Badges: 9
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
I'm currently in Year 11 and I was wondering if anyone knew any tips on firstly,

How to revise English (mindmaps don't work for me) and secondly, if anyone had any tips on how to get the top grades? Like certain things to cover?

I'm generally goo at the other subjects (A/A*) and I don't want my English grade to bring it down.

I am taking the new GCSE so I know not many people have an idea on the mark scheme but if anyone knows any tricks that are fool-proof I'd love to know!

Thankyou to anyone who replies!

Also the books I'm studying in Lit are:
Lord of the Flies
Frankenstein
Macbeth
And the Power and Conflict poems

Thankyou!
mysticmagic2000
Badges: 18
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by geminitwinsx)
I'm currently in Year 11 and I was wondering if anyone knew any tips on firstly,

How to revise English (mindmaps don't work for me) and secondly, if anyone had any tips on how to get the top grades? Like certain things to cover?

I'm generally goo at the other subjects (A/A*) and I don't want my English grade to bring it down.

I am taking the new GCSE so I know not many people have an idea on the mark scheme but if anyone knows any tricks that are fool-proof I'd love to know!

Lord of the Flies
Frankenstein
Macbeth

Thankyou!
Hello,

From someone who used to hate English, I completely sympathise with you! But last year, I had a brilliant teacher who has enabled me to understand how to right essays and how to do English in a sense.

So for me, my main problem was focusing on what I was talking about and how to structure it in an effective way. However, my teacher taught me to use this method:

Introduction - Thesis (what do you think the message is which is being portrayed) An example (what backs it up, which you are not going to write in your essay)
A further example (not really that necessary, but helps show your understanding)

P1: Opening Statement (sum up what you are going to talk about)
1) LT (language technique) -> Quote -> Explanation
2) LT (language technique) -> Quote -> Explanation
Wider Reflection (review the two quotes and their impact and also you can link
them to thesis or the question)

P2, P3 and P4 can also be written in the same way

Conclusion: Varies on the question - but must always come to a verdict.

Also:
- Remember to FOCUS on the Question
- Answer as simply as possibly, you gain more marks this way
- Try and understand in Macbeth how everything links, will help you develop your Wider Reflection
- For the Language paper, you NEVER use an Opening Statement, introduction,
conclusion or wider reflection
- Learn as many quotations as possible for each character
- Practice as many questions as possible and make sure you have them marked
to see where you are particularly week

Good Luck!
username2845568
Badges: 9
Rep:
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
(Original post by mysticmagic2000)
Hello,

From someone who used to hate English, I completely sympathise with you! But last year, I had a brilliant teacher who has enabled me to understand how to right essays and how to do English in a sense.

So for me, my main problem was focusing on what I was talking about and how to structure it in an effective way. However, my teacher taught me to use this method:

Introduction - Thesis (what do you think the message is which is being portrayed) An example (what backs it up, which you are not going to write in your essay)
A further example (not really that necessary, but helps show your understanding)

P1: Opening Statement (sum up what you are going to talk about)
1) LT (language technique) -> Quote -> Explanation
2) LT (language technique) -> Quote -> Explanation
Wider Reflection (review the two quotes and their impact and also you can link
them to thesis or the question)

P2, P3 and P4 can also be written in the same way

Conclusion: Varies on the question - but must always come to a verdict.

Also:
- Remember to FOCUS on the Question
- Answer as simply as possibly, you gain more marks this way
- Try and understand in Macbeth how everything links, will help you develop your Wider Reflection
- For the Language paper, you NEVER use an Opening Statement, introduction,
conclusion or wider reflection
- Learn as many quotations as possible for each character
- Practice as many questions as possible and make sure you have them marked
to see where you are particularly week

Good Luck!
Thankyou so much this has been so so helpful! Yes for me it is linking it back to the question because I can come up with good ideas but I don't know how that backs up the question! Thankyou so much!!!!
sunshine774
Badges: 19
Rep:
Report 5 years ago

Lord of the Flies
Frankenstein
Macbeth

Thankyou!
Don't read the books! I didn't but I got an A*, and 100 UMS in LOTF!
Spoiler:
Show

I am joking- you shouldn't do this!
Bethhmaii
Badges: 3
Rep:
Report 5 years ago

Lord of the Flies
Frankenstein
Macbeth

Thankyou!
I'm studying:

- An inspector calls.
-A Christmas carol.
- Macbeth
and the power and conflict poetry.

I often use index cards, writing a question on one side and the answer on the back. This helps me so much with remembering quotes and themes/ideas that the writer or poet want to portray.
using index cards with the texts, i often like to write down questions like Who is (characters name)? or Give a quote from (characters name)?
For the poetry index cards are also a great resource writing questions like what can exposure be compared to? or what two poems share the theme....?

i definitely recommend getting the revision guides for each of the texts you are studying, i got them for my texts and found they were really helpful. Also maybe buy the texts themselves and read them, i do this and most of the time i can paraphrase or remember the actual quotes.
The Collins Poetry revision guide (power and conflict one) is brilliant, you should buy it. It has all information on the poems, what the best quotes are, themes form and structure. It also has great practice questions that are very similar to the ones that would be asked in the exam.

i hope this helped
mysticmagic2000
Badges: 18
Rep:
Report 5 years ago
Thankyou so much this has been so so helpful! Yes for me it is linking it back to the question because I can come up with good ideas but I don't know how that backs up the question! Thankyou so much!!!!
No problem, PM me if you need any more assistance!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Were exams easier or harder than you expected?

Easier (21)
26.58%
As I expected (24)
30.38%
Harder (29)
36.71%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (5)
6.33%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed