Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

Recieved my A-Level results and wasnt happy with them. Two B grades very close to the A-grade border and were just under. So i am retaking a few modules. Just have a few questions regarding applying to Uni post A-Level.

How does it work exactly? Because i will be working in the gap year and therefore not still in college, how do i get "Tutor reports" and "Predicted Grades"? Or is it purely based on just a personal statement and any confirmed A-Levels i have (which will only be 1 A as i am retaking modules in the other two subjects so these will have to be stated as pending).

Also surely this looks very poor to the top unis that i am retaking my A-Levels when others manage it first time around? Will this be a serious problem for me regarding top 10 unis?

Also is there any other things i need to be aware of if im applying post A-Level? Any other things i need to send to UCAS or inform them of anything?

Thanks for any help

ReputationRep:
    Get in contact with the school/college you attended for sixth form and tell them you're reapplying. It's usually expected that if you apply just after leaving a place they'll be your reference still.
    I told my head of sixth-form on results day that I wanted to withdraw and reapply, they agreed to be my reference again and gave me the details to register straight away, though post A-level applications are a pretty usual affair at my school.
    Are you going to just re-sit them on your own or attend any classes elsewhere in order to improve? I would guess if it's the latter then you may get the place you take them at to do your predicted grades at least as they would know more.
    Some unis will be put off by taking A-levels over three years, but that I don't know much about. I would suggest perhaps contacting the admissions department for places you're interested in and gauging their response. ABB is pretty good, where're you thinking of applying? Is the A is in your chosen subject?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nadeshka)
    ABB is pretty good, where're you thinking of applying? Is the A is in your chosen subject?
    Nope, i want to do a Maths/Economics course, and i got a B in A-Level maths. I had got a place in Warwick, but they obviously werent going to let me in with ABB. I am really hoping for Bristol/Bath/Durham/York etc. Although I had my heart set on Warwick, I had 1 appauling module in 2 subjects which has ruined that dream for me . I will reapply to them most probs, but i really am not holding my breath.

Thanks for info regarding references. I hope my college will do that for me! Im going to get a remark first anyway, and when i get the results back from that, il go into college and see what they say.

I wont be taking any classes however. I dont see the need tbh. The poor modules were more bad luck on the paper more than me not knowing the course. But i will be doing lots of revision and many more papers to get the practice in.

University open days

• Heriot-Watt University
    School of Textiles and Design Undergraduate
    Fri, 16 Nov '18
  • University of Roehampton
    All departments Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
  • Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.