How does glycogen (glycogenesis) reduce blood glucose regulation?

Watch
byaakun
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
If Glycogenolysis is when the pancreas releases glucagon, to convert glycogen back to glucose and increase blood glucose regulation,

Then how does Glycogenesis, the opposite of glycogenolysis, in which by the glucose is converted into glycogen, reduce blood glucose if it's too high? Or does it not?

Posted from TSR Mobile
AortaStudyMore
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by byaakun)
If Glycogenolysis is when the pancreas releases glucagon, to convert glycogen back to glucose and increase blood glucose regulation,

Then how does Glycogenesis, the opposite of glycogenolysis, in which by the glucose is converted into glycogen, reduce blood glucose if it's too high? Or does it not?

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'm not really sure what you're confused about here, you did answer your own question :P glycogenolysis increases blood glucose, and glycogenesis decreases blood glucose. Is that what you weren't sure about?
puddleduck
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Glycogenesis moves glucose from the blood into storage as glycogen, which lowers blood sugar.
byaakun
Rep:
?
(Original post by puddleduck)
Glycogenesis moves glucose from the blood into storage as glycogen, which lowers blood sugar.
Ah, I see! Thanks. P
byaakun
Rep:
?
(Original post by AortaStudyMore)
I'm not really sure what you're confused about here, you did answer your own question :P glycogenolysis increases blood glucose, and glycogenesis decreases blood glucose. Is that what you weren't sure about?
I just didn't understand the process of glycogenesis and why glycogen would be converted back to glucose, after being converted from glucose to glycogen; but I know now that it's just extracted from the blood and used as storage, and to be later used for glycogenolysis. :P
puddleduck
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by byaakun)
I just didn't understand the process of glycogenesis and why glycogen would be converted back to glucose, after being converted from glucose to glycogen; but I know now that it's just extracted from the blood and used as storage, and to be later used for glycogenolysis. :P
Good thinking! The reason that it can't just stay in the blood is that too much sugar in the blood changes the acidity of the blood and can actually lead to a coma and death.
macpatgh-Sheldon
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
It appears that you are confusing glycogen and glucagon. Your first phrase ("glycogenolysis is when the pancreas releases glucagon") is incorrect. Glycogenolysis (glycogen + lysis [=breakdown as in lysosome [a cell organelle whose function is lysis or breakdown]]) is a chemical process involving breakdown of the polysaccharide glycogen into hundreds of its constituent monosaccharide parts [= glucose]. Glucagon is a hormone secreted by the alpha cells of the islets of Langerhans [the endocrine [=hormone-producing] portion of the pancreas], (the beta cells secrete the hormone insulin, which has the opposite actions to those of glucagon).

Yes one of the actions of glucagon is to promote glycogenolysis, which increases blood glucose. FGlucagon also has other actions that raise blood glucose (it slows down glycogenesis, reduces entry of glucose into cells and promotes gluconeogenesis [gluco for glucose; neo = new; genesis = production hence production of new glucose [in practice from amino acids].

Hope this clarifies things further.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (113)
13.85%
I'm not sure (36)
4.41%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (249)
30.51%
I have already dropped out (20)
2.45%
I'm not a current university student (398)
48.77%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed