The Student Room Group

Cambridge Language Assessment for Classics 4 years

Hello.

Have any of you guys applied to Cambridge Classics course of 4 years, having had no previous knowledge of Latin and Greek? There is this language assessment and if any of you have taken it, I would like hear about how it went (did you feel it was difficult, what kind of skills are required, is there any way to prepare). Thanks in advance!
Reply 1
Hi
I've only just seen this however I did this language test in December at my interview for Classics (4 years) at St John's where I'm currently holding an offer 😊
I honestly really enjoyed my language assessment, I currently do A Level French and German so, although I have no Latin or Greek whatsoever, I must admit that I didn't find the test particularly challenging. I was well accustomed with all of the technical language and everything the interviewer asked me to do I could do without any problems.
Despite being assured that no technical terminology or previous language knowledge is required, I would advise future applicants to learn basics such as what the Passive Voice is, how to describe differences across tenses.
I found the Latin conjugation somewhat challenging, since obviously I have never studied it before. But again, I could do this thanks to my own language knowledge of German and French. For an applicant with no history of language learning whatsoever, I can imagine this part would be very difficult and strange.
It would also perhaps be useful to look a little bit on where English derives from, I was asked to make an educated guess on which language a certain English verb stems from. (This was the only question I couldn't actually answer!)
Overall, I found the experience very stimulating. My final piece of advice to others who may do this test in the future: try your best to answer even if you think it is wrong. Much of language learning is learning from your own mistakes, the interviewer will expect you to try so don't sit there waiting for them to help you/give you the answer. Of course they will give you help if you're really stuck, but try yourself first. SPEAK YOUR PROCESS OF THOUGHTS!!! They want to know how you reach an answer- how your mind works!
The language learning part of the 4 year course is super intense, so above all they want to know that you're 1) teachable at such a pace and intensity and 2) willing to learn- SHOW ENTHUSIASM!
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending