How do you revise for A level History

Watch
AM-BI-TIOUS
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
I take notes from History AQA textbook from Tudors (1485-1603) and Russia (1917-1951). Are there anymore alternatives that I can revise for History as I feel as if I'm not covering enough information?
TSR Jessica
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Sorry you've not had any responses about this. Are you sure you've posted in the right place? Here's a link to our subject forum which should help get you more responses if you post there.

Just quoting in Fox Corner so she can move the thread if needed :wizard:
Spoiler:
Show
(Original post by Fox Corner)
x
Blancosdos
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
bump
Airmed
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Your textbooks and notes from class are best. You could always read around your topics and make notes also.
AM-BI-TIOUS
Rep:
?
(Original post by Airmed)
Your textbooks and notes from class are best. You could always read around your topics and make notes also.
That's the only thing I do. Isn't there anyway that I could maximize the content or something because I feel as if the stuff from the textbook are very brief, which may not be so useful when I get to write it in my essay if you know what I mean. I'm not sure if reading non fiction books would resolve this issue. What are your suggestions?
Airmed
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by AM-BI-TIOUS)
That's the only thing I do. Isn't there anyway that I could maximize the content or something because I feel as if the stuff from the textbook are very brief, which may not be so useful when I get to write it in my essay if you know what I mean. I'm not sure if reading non fiction books would resolve this issue. What are your suggestions?
Reading historians' works could resolve the issue, as you can then pull in different scholars' opinions etc. That is what I had to do for A2 history.
katehargreaves_
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I finished my A Level's in June and I came out with a A* in A2 History, A overall.

How i revised was to look at EVERY past paper question there has been (including last years if you can find it) and try and create a detailed plan for all of them. Most of the questions come up several times in one form or another. Once you have done that, try and group the questions into categories. For example, if studying the Cold War one category could be 'Nuclear Weapons', or 'US Expansion' and write down in these categories each piece of information you could use for these topics. LEARN DATES!! This is the most important thing.

Good Luck!
AM-BI-TIOUS
Rep:
?
(Original post by katehargreaves_)
I finished my A Level's in June and I came out with a A* in A2 History, A overall.

How i revised was to look at EVERY past paper question there has been (including last years if you can find it) and try and create a detailed plan for all of them. Most of the questions come up several times in one form or another. Once you have done that, try and group the questions into categories. For example, if studying the Cold War one category could be 'Nuclear Weapons', or 'US Expansion' and write down in these categories each piece of information you could use for these topics. LEARN DATES!! This is the most important thing.

Good Luck!
Really well done on your achievement and I think that's something that I can do actually. Thank you for your advise.
Niyi Aderounmu
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I'd say make mind-maps, get Quizlet on mobile and puts Dates with events on there and constantly practice those. Most essays require detailed knowledge. I think watching a documentary film on your topic helps broaden your interest as well as help for revision.

The only trouble I can think of is making notes, since I mostly write my notes in too much detail.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you worried that a cap in student numbers would affect your place at uni?

Yes (138)
59.23%
No (52)
22.32%
Not sure (43)
18.45%

Watched Threads