The Student Room Group

Applied Mathematics and Computer Science

I really like Pure and Applied Maths but I'm not such a big fan of statistical and discrete maths. However I am interested in computer science and want to do a Comp Sci course as well as an applied maths course, because a lot of maths in computer science related courses is statistical and discrete and i'd rather do the applied/physics/mechanics topics, however I don't see unis offering join honours like this
Reply 1
Original post by itsElliott
I really like Pure and Applied Maths but I'm not such a big fan of statistical and discrete maths. However I am interested in computer science and want to do a Comp Sci course as well as an applied maths course, because a lot of maths in computer science related courses is statistical and discrete and i'd rather do the applied/physics/mechanics topics, however I don't see unis offering join honours like this

Yes there is: it's just mathematics with computer science joint honours. Unfortunately if you are interested in computer science, you will have to learn discrete mathematics, and it's actually rather interesting (I'd recommend for you to read more about it). Also, you will HAVE TO learn pure modules such as analysis, abstract algebra, linear algebra (also taught in other courses) all which you will need in order to actually do applied maths.

Also the applied modules are given as an optional module for most unis during 2nd and 3rd year, so read the course structure at their websites.
Reply 2
Original post by kkboyk
Yes there is: it's just mathematics with computer science joint honours. Unfortunately if you are interested in computer science, you will have to learn discrete mathematics, and it's actually rather interesting (I'd recommend for you to read more about it). Also, you will HAVE TO learn pure modules such as analysis, abstract algebra, linear algebra (also taught in other courses) all which you will need in order to actually do applied maths.

Also the applied modules are given as an optional module for most unis during 2nd and 3rd year, so read the course structure at their websites.

The only university that I can see that offers a joint course of Computer Science and maths (with comp sci being the major) I couldn't see any applied modules (loughbrough), out of Nottingham, Sussex, Southampton, warwick UEA
Reply 3
The only university that I can see that offers a joint course of Computer Science and maths (with comp sci being the major) I couldn't see any applied modules (loughbrough), out of Nottingham, Sussex, Southampton, warwick UEA

For loughborough, numerical methods is applied math (computational maths basically), linear algebra are applied math. Nottingham doesn't do a joint honour in computer science and maths, same with UEA. All the maths modules in southampton are applied modules

For Warwick, there is more applied modules (they don't offer maths and comp sci, so you'l have to apply for discrete maths or even morse) than the others, I'm unsure as I only checked the course structure briefly.

If you are planning on doing a joint honour in both, eventually most of the maths modules will be related to computations.
Reply 4
Original post by kkboyk
For loughborough, numerical methods is applied math (computational maths basically), linear algebra are applied math. Nottingham doesn't do a joint honour in computer science and maths, same with UEA. All the maths modules in southampton are applied modules

For Warwick, there is more applied modules (they don't offer maths and comp sci, so you'l have to apply for discrete maths or even morse) than the others, I'm unsure as I only checked the course structure briefly.

If you are planning on doing a joint honour in both, eventually most of the maths modules will be related to computations.

Ok thanks so much for this help.

One last question, to an employer would they consider you "less qualified" to do software development jobs than someone who did only computer science - basically can it be seen as a negative to employers?
Original post by kkboyk

Nottingham does, it's called Data Science - I applied to it last year.
Ok thanks so much for this help.

One last question, to an employer would they consider you "less qualified" to do software development jobs than someone who did only computer science - basically can it be seen as a negative to employers?

No, that would be down to your own algorithmic skills, projects and experience.
Reply 7
Original post by Princepieman
Nottingham does, it's called Data Science - I applied to it last year.

Completely forgot about Data Science lol. Cheers for the correction there :2euk48l:
Original post by Princepieman
No, that would be down to your own algorithmic skills, projects and experience.

Original post by kkboyk
Completely forgot about Data Science lol. Cheers for the correction there :2euk48l:

do not listen to these trolls
Reply 9
Original post by Proxenus
do not listen to these trolls

Says the one forgetting about our badminton match we planned during August.

Quick Reply

Latest