Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    for medicine what are the lowests grades everyone has been offered to study medicine? and which uni's were they from?

ReputationRep:
    The lowest TYPICAL offer is ABB at A level. Ideally this is what you should aim to get (at least)

ReputationRep:
    ABB is the normal offer for med at sheffield. Some med schools do give lower offers in exceptional circumstances but this is rare.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RustyRosie)
    ABB is the normal offer for med at sheffield. Some med schools do give lower offers in exceptional circumstances but this is rare.
    Yeah, and top of my head Cardiff's typical offer is ABB too.

ReputationRep:
    I read from a London med. school AT online (probably http://www.medschoolguide.co.uk/forum ) that from next year the standard offer will be AAB, so all the ABB schools will probably be following in each other to try & avoid becomming an 'insurance choice'.

the lowest offers i've routinely heard of is CCC's from UCL (although to candidates predicted AAA/AAAA!).. & Oxbridge did used to make EE's - but the low offers made obviously aren't what the medical schools even think these candidates will get.. they're an inticement, designed to try & grab the best candidates .

so i think without 'exenuating circumstances' as a school leaver basically you'll need AAB predictions at least.. & the way things are going - probably to achieve this come results day. & there has been a study published suggest correlation between better A-level results & medical success (bmj?) - so it's arguable that if you can't achieve this (excluding exenuating circumstances, etc etc) then a medical degree will be too much of a challenge (not necessarily in terms of complexity of work, but study skills, imho).

my main concern with offers was whether they'd be tagged! might want to check whether the schools you apply to do this or not.. i ended up feeling quite relieved with an ABBD & AAA offer, that were non tagged & from 4 A levels - giving me the leeway of doing dismally in Chemistry!

ReputationRep:
    My lowest offer was AAB from Southampton. I also had AAB from Nottingham, but it was tagged - I had to get As in Chem and Bio.

On the other hand, I do know of Christ's medics who got EEE offers, but generally they expect you to get AAA(AAAAAAAAAAAA? :rolleyes: ) anyway.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Elles)
    I read from a London med. school AT online (probably http://www.medschoolguide.co.uk/forum ) that from next year the standard offer will be AAB, so all the ABB schools will probably be following in each other to try & avoid becomming an 'insurance choice'.

http://www.admissionsforum.co.uk/sho...93&postcount=3

http://www.admissionsforum.co.uk/sho...&highlight=AAB

ReputationRep:
    I asked an interviewer from St Barts what they look 4 in a med student and he said their policy means that they rest mainly on interview and communication skills, that students with CCC could cope with the course. I got offer of ABB there but i dunno what they'd say if i didnt get that!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Naomi)
    I asked an interviewer from St Barts what they look 4 in a med student and he said their policy means that they rest mainly on interview and communication skills, that students with CCC could cope with the course. I got offer of ABB there but i dunno what they'd say if i didnt get that!!
    Probably "sorry but no." You might get lucky, but there are so many people wanting to do medicine, that they don't need to be lenient with people missing their grades; there are enough who make them to more than fill all their places.

ReputationRep:
    Our head of 6th form told us the London medical schools usually have low offers (BBB ect)...I guess (once again) we've been lied too :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LS.)
    Our head of 6th form told us the London medical schools usually have low offers (BBB ect)...I guess (once again) we've been lied too :rolleyes:
    That used to be the case, but the London schools don't want to be everyone's insurance choice. And it could be argued that the cost of living is balanced out by the number of outstanding medical faculties (i don't agree with this). From this year all London medical schools will be making offers of AAB for their standard 5 yr courses.

ReputationRep:
    my friend got an AB offer from leeds( her AS were all As), also shef accepts general studies as an A level ....... hope this helps also durham stockton campus (runs newcastles medical course.. you do your final years there) offered BBB to my other friend....methinks this is coz they want local students as they get more goverment funding as they advertise ABB/AAB

ReputationRep:
    With ouragon's post in mind, is it any easier to get into a local uni for medicine?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ouragon)
    my friend got an AB offer from leeds( her AS were all As), also shef accepts general studies as an A level ....... hope this helps also durham stockton campus (runs newcastles medical course.. you do your final years there) offered BBB to my other friend....methinks this is coz they want local students as they get more goverment funding as they advertise ABB/AAB

I know someone who was given an unconditional offer from Oxford because they performed exceptionally at interview (although they did have all grade A's at AS level)

ReputationRep:
    Generally, no.

Some medschools run a widening access to medschool programme and a small number of places will be offered to people from non-trad backgrounds, usually locals.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by joyabbott)
    Generally, no.

Some medschools run a widening access to medschool programme and a small number of places will be offered to people from non-trad backgrounds, usually locals.
    That makes me think of The League of Gentlemen..."This is a local uni for local people, you're not welcome here".

No i don't have anything useful to add.

Oh i do! The Access to medicine course at Kings is for local people. Like me!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by joyabbott)
    Generally, no.

Thanks for that. I have a friend applying for medicine and she's just decided to reduce the traveling time she's prepared for (she's not great with long journeys, going town to exerter(?) uni just about killed her), and I'm trying to convince her to apply to Notts, so any advantages I can get to make her apply to her local uni....

That makes me think of The League of Gentlemen..."This is a local uni for local people, you're not welcome here".
    LOL! Heh, great show (although a little scary)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LS.)
    Thanks for that. I have a friend applying for medicine and she's just decided to reduce the traveling time she's prepared for (she's not great with long journeys, going town to exerter(?) uni just about killed her), and I'm trying to convince her to apply to Notts, so any advantages I can get to make her apply to her local uni....

LOL! Heh, great show (although a little scary)
    my local, 'worst-case-scenario, i would go there' uni rejected me!

oh well, a little rejection is probably good for you, hmmm..!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LS.)
    With ouragon's post in mind, is it any easier to get into a local uni for medicine?
    Durham is a specific case, I'm not aware of anyother school that offers lower grades to local students.

ReputationRep:
    BSMS (my insurance) want ABB as did UCL (who I turned down) Apparently UCL have been known to offer CCC if they really like you but that is rare. Or that is what the women at the interviews told us. Birmingham (my firm) want AAB.

Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: August 14, 2004

University open days

• University of Warwick
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Sat, 20 Oct '18
  • University of Sheffield
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Sat, 20 Oct '18
  • Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 20 Oct '18
Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.