Turn on thread page Beta

grades? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by randdom)
    Or that is what the women at the interviews told us.
    Do you believe them?

It seems like if you want to go on a decent course ABB is the threshold. Some people think AAA like for law but I don't agree with this at all.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NDGAARONDI)
    Do you believe them?

It seems like if you want to go on a decent course ABB is the threshold. Some people think AAA like for law but I don't agree with this at all.
    It's 100% true actually! I know peeps with CCC offers for UCL from both this year (2004 entry) and last year (2004s 2nd years).

GKT do it too.

Needless to say, they are AAAA students!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fluffy)
    GKT do it too.
    GKT? :confused:

ReputationRep:
    GKT? :confused:
    Guys, Kings and St Thomas'

ReputationRep:
    Guys, Kings and St Thomas'
    I'm not in the same field as you

ReputationRep:
    I'm not in the same field as you

It's the medical school of KCL!!!!

Like UCL is RUMS, QMUL is BL, St Georges is er... St Georges

ReputationRep:
    The grades they want from me are BB, but I am not sure I want to go to this University anymore...seems people have being saying crap things about it. :confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BlondeFunkyChic)
    The grades they want from me are BB, but I am not sure I want to go to this University anymore...seems people have being saying crap things about it. :confused:
    Generally speaking it helps to tell us which university it is. I've searched your posts and you have not stated what it is!

ReputationRep:
    Generally speaking it helps to tell us which university it is. I've searched your posts and you have not stated what it is!
    Oh sorry... it's City University in London, I just haven't seen any good reviews about the place and not sure about doing that course now even though I had to do some work for them in order to get in. I have changed my course in my insurance choice though...think I would rather go there instead now. But times like this are sooooo confusing, especially when I am waiting for results!

ReputationRep:
    Oh sorry... it's City University in London, I just haven't seen any good reviews about the place and not sure about doing that course now even though I had to do some work for them in order to get in. I have changed my course in my insurance choice though...think I would rather go there instead now. But times like this are sooooo confusing, especially when I am waiting for results!
    I understand your sentiments. What is the course though? You do get a lot of snobbery here though. For example, only Oxbridge will do or Russell Group universities etc. But these views are often not very accurate themselves

ReputationRep:
    Durham is a specific case, I'm not aware of anyother school that offers lower grades to local students.
    Thanks for the info. Why I keep finding these thigns out for my friend, I dont know....maybe deep down inside I really want to be a doctor and not a pharmacist... :eek:

From what i've read, Sheffield seems to have the lowest grade requirements, yet hardly anyone on this forum seem to be going there (?)

ReputationRep:
    a girl at my college was offered BBB from newcastle- without interview!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Katie86)
    a girl at my college was offered BBB from newcastle- without interview!
    Did she have a great PS? Or lots of work Experiance?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LS.)
    From what i've read, Sheffield seems to have the lowest grade requirements, yet hardly anyone on this forum seem to be going there (?)
    Well Sheffield medical school actually have the 2nd highest number of applicants to places ratio (1st being Southampton mainly because of their no interview policy).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hihihihi)
    Well Sheffield medical school actually have the 2nd highest number of applicants to places ratio (1st being Southampton mainly because of their no interview policy).
    No! You can't tell me bad things about my local uni's :rolleyes:

Still, looking through posts I haven't seen many people say, 'they want to go to sheffield to do medicine.'

ReputationRep:
    I understand your sentiments. What is the course though? You do get a lot of snobbery here though. For example, only Oxbridge will do or Russell Group universities etc. But these views are often not very accurate themselves
    I am not interested in snobbery, it doesn't matter where you do your degree...it's no different if you sat it at Oxford or Liverpool John Moores, a 2:1 is a 2:1. Therefore, as I see it we all work hard in order to obtain our A Levels and degrees. I came away from school with no GCSEs, did my GCSEs at college and then did 4 A Levels in Psychology, Politics, Sociology and English Language, I have worked hard to get where I am and nobody will put me down just because the university they are attending e.g. Oxbridge is world famous and does the best in league tables, a degree is still a degree.

My course is Psychology and Journalism at City University, it is meant to be a competitive course to get onto as you have to write an article on why you want to be a journalist and also a write an interview with someone famous in the area (which is my case is Manchester) I did this and was happy when I recieve a letter accepting me onto the course...however, I am leaning more towards my insurance choice now where I have just changed the course and that's to study Sociology and Philosophy at Middlesex University.

If my results don't come out as expected...I have a nice long list of Universities to contact during clearing, so I am keeping my fingers crossed and hoping for the best. I worked hard, I know I did my best and I deserve a place in a University somewhere. Don't get me wrong though! I am absolutely scared to death I am going to fail and I am not sleeping very well due to results out next week, but I know deep down I studied hard and gave it my all.

ReputationRep:
    I am not interested in snobbery
    I never said you were, and neither am I.

it doesn't matter where you do your degree...
    Depends on the career unfortunately.

it's no different if you sat it at Oxford or Liverpool John Moores, a 2:1 is a 2:1.
    There's some existing debate on this topic, see http://www.uk-learning.net/t40501.html

My course is Psychology and Journalism at City University, it is meant to be a competitive course to get onto as you have to write an article on why you want to be a journalist and also a write an interview with someone famous in the area (which is my case is Manchester) I did this and was happy when I recieve a letter accepting me onto the course...
    Is the subjects above a combined degree?

however, I am leaning more towards my insurance choice now where I have just changed the course and that's to study Sociology and Philosophy at Middlesex University.
    Again?

If my results don't come out as expected...I have a nice long list of Universities to contact during clearing
    Good plan. Which ones?

so I am keeping my fingers crossed and hoping for the best.
    Hope it goes well for you.

I worked hard, I know I did my best and I deserve a place in a University somewhere.
    Yes like me then But I'm being snobbish in choosing a select few, but they are not the ones you might think of

Don't get me wrong though! I am absolutely scared to death I am going to fail and I am not sleeping very well due to results out next week, but I know deep down I studied hard and gave it my all.
    You're not alone.

ReputationRep:
    There's some existing debate on this topic, see http://www.uk-learning.net/t40501.html

No thanks...too stressful at this time to debate on things that don't really matter.

Is the subjects above a combined degree?

Yes.

Again?

Again, what? I only changed the course just this once?

Good plan. Which ones?

Too many universities to mention.

Hope it goes well for you.

You too.

ReputationRep:
    I am not interested in snobbery, it doesn't matter where you do your degree...it's no different if you sat it at Oxford or Liverpool John Moores, a 2:1 is a 2:1.
    Unfortunately this statement is not true. A 2i is not a 2i everywhere (so to speak!). it's about time UK universities standardised degree classifications...

ReputationRep:
    no way is a 2.1 same everywhere. some courses are harder then others so why would a 2.1 be seen equal no matter where u did it. its just not right. there are people who worked really hard at top unis and got 2.2s and people who didnt work that hard at lower unis and came out with 1sts. i would take someone with a 2.2 from a top uni then a 2.1 or even 1st from a lower uni in the same subject!!

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.