The Student Room Group

Travel in the USA alone or with a friend who I haven't met?

Hi guys!

I'm thinking about travelling to America this summer (2017). I have two options:

1) Travel alone by myself.
2) Ask my mum's friend's son to join me.

1) Obviously this means that I can choose where I want to go. I would like to go through 12 cities in 10 states, and I would have to accommodate any travel partner's wishes (which I'm happy to do).

2) I've never met this potential travel partner. I've met his entire family but him... He lives in another country but is at uni in America on a visa so he can't leave the USA whilst studying. This means travelling would be a perfect opportunity to spend some time. I spoke to him a year ago for about 2 months on and off, so he's not a total stranger, and we have similar interests so travelling shouldn't be too controversial... But I don't know if it would be weird if I just popped up and said 'hey, wanna travel together?' Is that cool or not cool? I can't decide.

Yeah... Obviously I'd love to travel with someone, but I also don't mind going on my own. How easy is it to meet locals when only in a city for 2 or 3 days?

Any advice or thoughts are appreciated!
If he's cool, go with him. Travelling alone isn't all it's cracked up to be, really.
I would personally go alone but it depends on your personality. I get socially anxious around strangers so it wouldn't be great for me.

I went to the US when I was 21 and booked on a few Trek America tours because I'd never travelled alone and the idea overwhelmed me. Because of my stupid anxiety it was a total nightmare. I lost a lot of money.

The year after I went alone. I travel everywhere alone now. I've been round Europe and did Asia this summer. It has it's pros and cons. I'm a little bored of it now. I'd like to go with a boyfriend if I find one who likes travelling.
If you're not sure then when you should fly out to where he's staying and hang for like a week or something. That way you can see if he's cool and whether or not you wanna spend the summer travelling with them. Plus it might be handy to have someone with you in case you get attacked by some gun wielding rednecks who claim that you "done wronged their pa".
Reply 4
Thanks for the advice! It's not so much whether we get on or not, it's more a case of 'will it be awkward if i randomly ask if he wants to travel with someone who he hasn't met'...
Original post by hatcs001
Thanks for the advice! It's not so much whether we get on or not, it's more a case of 'will it be awkward if i randomly ask if he wants to travel with someone who he hasn't met'...

yeah that could be a bit awkward, still it's not like they're a complete stranger and the worst thing that could happen is that they say no. Maybe you could see if a mate wants to come with you, that way it won't be as awkward and it'll probably be more fun.

Quick Reply

Latest