Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    How are you finding it/How did you find it? Do you find it difficult? I'm considering taking it, so I need some views.

ReputationRep:
    I found AS rather straightforward. I guess its down to just revising researcher names/theories/models, and exam technique.

The concepts are pretty much straighforward to grasp.

You also have to to ALOT of reading, so just bear that in mind.

ReputationRep:
    I loved it.
    Its hard to really tell somebody what a subject is like. Try do some reading of the course material, that will give you a better feel for it. What i might love, you might hate.
    I didnt find it difficult but you do have to work.
    I thought it was really interesting, but it seems to be one of those things that people either like or hate. Alot of my friends really hated it, but i loved it!

ReputationRep:
    It was an interesting subject and relatively straight forward. Some modules were more interesting than other. I'd say A2 was actually easier than AS and more interesting, and I performed better at A2 as well.

ReputationRep:
    I really hated it, i just found it so boring, but im one of those people who like statistics and things more, im a sociology person... (ha... at the start of AS i said it was sociology i would drop... not psychology... how things change)

ReputationRep:
    I loved it! It was really easy to get the marks in. I got an high A for psychology lol. I think if you find the subject interesting you will enjoy it more and it was really easy and interesting at A2 i think i performed better than AS, but it depends on whether you find the subject interesting enough to put the work in for it.

ReputationRep:
    Again, I'll just re-state one of my previous posts to a similar topic:

I've just finished my A-level in psychology (spec B AQA ). When I first started it at AS I thought I wasn't any good - in my first January exam I got a U, I was gutted. In my first year, I felt I never really got the hang of it, it always felt as if I blagged my way through the exams. At the end of my first year (AS) I got a B.

The 2nd year was tougher again. I had changed lecturer (I was lucky in that I had 2 very good lecturers for both AS & A2 - thank you Clive and Liz!) In my first Jan. exam I got a D. I needed at least a B at A2 level; and although an A would have been nice, Clive said I had a very, very slim chance. I worked and worked for the last module at A2 (Perspective, Debates & Methods) Unit 5 was the exam I was dreading - I never really felt I got the hang of it. But still I revised and sat the exam.

I couldn't believe it when I got an A (thanks to high marks in my unit 5 paper).

Psychology is a tough subject to get right and to score the marks on the mark scheme (A01s & AO2s) despite what some people might think. I've learnt a lot from my psychology A-level, and looking back on it, while I may have found quite a bit of it hard, I enjoyed every moment of it!

ReputationRep:
    AS is easy. I was one mark off an A and I had one 1 1/2 hour lesson per week!!!!:eek: I taught myself module 2 in a week (no joke) and got a high A. Just remebering stuff really and having a good writing style.

ReputationRep:
    There are two criteria by which to judge psychology. One, if you enjoy it - I did not particularly enjoy it and in fact found myself losing the will to live during some of the lessons. I found that the most interesting aspects of it (Freud, Pavlov's dog, etc) were just common knowledge. Two, if you think you'll do well in it - I did do well in it because once you know what the mark scheme is looking for, you can easily tailor your exam to the examiner's needs. I'm not saying that you will not enjoy it - of course, a lot depends on your individual centre - but it certainly is easy to score the marks.

Also, you have to be willing to remember psychologist's names and particular experiments - for me, that took up at least half of the exam.

ReputationRep:
    I don't know what to think of Psychology having done AS... I loved and hated it at various points throughout the year, my teacher being the main reason for the hate.
    Some of it is very interesting, I especially enjoyed PYA2 on Physiological Psychology and Individual Differences, and I did quite well in that exam. Some of the other topics I wasn't keen on though. I'm not a great essay writer either so if you don't like lots of writing it isn't a good subject for you to take.
    There's a huge amount of material to learn, particularly details of all the different studies and their aims, findings, conclusions, criticisms, etc.

I was originally planning on dropping Psychology this year but having got a strong B and definite potential to boost it to an A, I'm carrying it on, and having looked at a few bits of the A2 syllabus, it seems okay, plus I've done some of the coursework already, so it seems a waste to lose that work.

ReputationRep:
    It's just a lot of remembering names and studies really! Quite a lot of reading but as long as you're able to memorise stuff easily it's a piece of pee.

NB: I may regret that statement after starting A2...haha

ReputationRep:
    At first I detested Psychology, I found the concept of an A-level being entirely based on "rembering" facts, dates and evaluative material incredibly offensive. However, A2 is far more interesting and the questions are less simplistic, more essay based. You are given a question such as "Outline and evaluate biological explanations of phobias" and you basically have to write and structure a 40 mark essay. Far more challenging and you can only really score the top marks if you have a good essay writing style. I only dropped 2 UMS marks out of the three A2 modules due to my adoration of English. I'd say definately take it, but don't expect it to me the most fulfilling A-level. It's challenging, but only due to how irritating it is. You learn the whole syllabus but are tested on less than 1/6 of it.

ReputationRep:
    AS is fantastic. Fantastic in the sense you can talk all year, and then not have a teacher for the last term and still get an A. As long as you know the gist of what happened in the case studies you'll be fine. Oh and do your practical work folder properly.

ReputationRep:
    I've just done Edexcel Psychology AS level. Got 100% on both exams with about 1 hour revision. It's that easy. Our school is absolutely crap with the coursework - in fact they had the head of the exam board come in to teach them how to do it better. I was pissed off because I got 86% in the coursework and I spent ages on it. But, yeah. Do it.

Edit: And a quick tip - if you don't quite remember the full name of a psychologist (i.e. you know it's Mc-something) then just write Mc and then a scribble and you'll probably get the mark.

ReputationRep:
    I did OCR Its interesting, the content is not so much difficult but you do need to think on your fingertips a bit.

ReputationRep:
    I've just finished the AS OCR course, came out with 283/300 with 100% in 2 of the modules, one of which I didn't even finish. That should show you how easy it is.

That said, some people do find it difficult, because it's a lot of just learning facts parrot fashion; if you were good at GCSE science, you'll probably find Psychology AS a doddle.

xx

University open days

• University of Roehampton
    All departments Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
  • Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
  • Bournemouth University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.