The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Cambridge might cost me up to 200k pounds:sad:( if i get in, which is unlikely) being an international student sucks
Original post by sophiemaz
the college I applied to hasn't given a direct offer for my subject in 2 years. should I be worried?

Not at all! This could be the year; you could be "the one"!
Original post by AtticusFelix
i really wish id applied for classics and not physical natural science

I wouldn't be fooled by simplistic ratios. You may wish to check out the average UMS scores and GCSE results of successful applicants to the 3year classics course. They are amongst the highest of ALL Cambridge courses.

Having fewer competitors in the gathered field doesn't make it easier to get on the course if they are all amazingly strong candidates.
Absolutely right. I wonder if any more meaningful measurements are done (one would assume so), and if the results could be made public?
Original post by Virgilsmuse
I wouldn't be fooled by simplistic ratios. You may wish to check out the average UMS scores and GCSE results of successful applicants to the 3year classics course. They are amongst the highest of ALL Cambridge courses.

Having fewer competitors in the gathered field doesn't make it easier to get on the course if they are all amazingly strong candidates.

Original post by thewinelake
Absolutely right. I wonder if any more meaningful measurements are done (one would assume so), and if the results could be made public?

Well yes most candidates to Cambridge are generally of a very high calibre.

But if you are looking at the UMS average (which as we know isn't actually a selection criteria) Classics successful mean is 91.1, by no means the highest. University average is 93 (2009-2013 data):

Spoiler

(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by metrize
What college?

st jhons, I couldnt answer my question
Original post by STRANGER2
Just came home from a maths interview

Gosh, I never knew interviewers could get so angry...

My interviewers got angry too!
Which college were you at?
Original post by jneill

But if you are looking at the UMS average (which as we know isn't actually a selection criteria) Classics successful mean is 91.1, by no means the highest. University average is 93 (2009-2013 data):

PRSOM

I was going to say that I didn't even regard UMS as a particularly good measure of how smart you are, but actually, it's the best measure I've seen so far. I guess for some more arty subjects (like Music or Architecture, where a portfolio is part of the assessment) it's relatively less significant than others.

So (dare I say unsurprisingly?) Economics and NatSci offerants (is that a word?) seem to have the highest UMS scores.

An interesting paper, which makes me want to ask more questions - I'd like to see a graph of UMS vs probability of offer across all subjects. I guess this kind of data is not going to be available in the ASless future.
(edited 7 years ago)
An interesting paper, which makes me want to ask more questions - I'd like to see a graph of UMS vs probability of offer across all subjects. I guess this kind of data is not going to be available in the ASless future.

http://www.undergraduate.study.cam.ac.uk/files/publications/ums_attainment_at_as-level_of_applicants_by_subject_and_offer_status.pdf

:smile:

(Cambridge has a LOT of data on admissions...)
Reply 6609
PRSOM

Make one. Assume a normal distribution and it'll be fairly easy as you have the means and standard deviations.
Original post by Mathemagicien
Because the idiots have had enough of experts. What happens when the experts have enough of the idiots?

A country that consists of reality TV, the Murdoch Press, rampant consumerism fuelled by unsustainable consumer debt, TOWIE, McDonalds, ITV Be, the V&A being turned into 'luxury' penthouses...
Original post by Reality Check
A country that consists of reality TV, the Murdoch Press, rampant consumerism fuelled by unsustainable consumer debt, TOWIE, McDonalds, ITV Be, the V&A being turned into 'luxury' penthouses...

Did you see Murdoch's Fox is buying the 60% of Sky he didn't already own?

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by alow
Make one. Assume a normal distribution and it'll be fairly easy as you have the means and standard deviations.

Good point, but that second document is good enough for me - and offers a degree of encouragement (excuse the unintentional pun)
Original post by theamazingone
My interviewers got angry too!
Which college were you at?

Got angry with you?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by jneill
Did you see Fox is buying the 60% of Sky it didn't already own?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I did - he just needs to make a bit for DMGT and he's got the set. Terrible for any sort of media plurality imho.
welp, Cambridge seems so much of a long shot seeing the number of Chemical Engineering applicants :/
Original post by jneill

Spoiler

Peak how average successful UMS for economics is 94.8 :s-smilie:
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Christie_xx

Average... :wink:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Christie_xx

Also, UMS average isn't even particularly relevant this year cos the colleges won't have UMS scores for many subjects.
Original post by NeverLucky
Also, UMS average isn't even particularly relevant this year cos the colleges won't have UMS scores for many subjects.

Yeah that's a good point! I wonder whether they'll find it more difficult to assess applicants after the a level reforms 🤔

Latest

Trending

Trending