Turn on thread page Beta

I think 48 days is the absolute limit. But you'd be very poorly and your internal organs may start to fail. Water - 3 days tops (that's if you aren't eating - we get water from our food too).

Hormones, I'm not saying you are but please don't even contemplate seeing how long you can survive without food! It wont do you any good.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Laus)
    Hormones, I'm not saying you are but please don't even contemplate seeing how long you can survive without food! It wont do you any good.
    It'll make you lose weight...

... you can lose weight by eating healthily. Starving yourself wrecks your internal organs, lowers your brain capacity... and wont do you any good long term. A friend of mine who starved herself now has diabetes and osteoporosis.

Not good!

ReputationRep:
    About 6 hours .. when I'm awake anyway.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Eulaca)
    It doesnt matter on your body size (aslong as you've been eating normally before hand)

If i remeber correctly your body loses the ability to break down body fat and starts digesting muscle, and then you die.

~3 weeks
    Yes it does, along with a lot of other factors such as general health, water intake etc.
    http://www.sciam.com/askexpert_quest...2183414B7F0000
    http://www.survivaltopics.com/surviv...-without-food/

The body firstly breaks down glucose and glycogen reserves from the liver etc., then body fat starts to be broken down. Once all the fat has been used as energy, the body turns to it's excess muscle to break down for energy. Your body will then shut down non-essential organs like the digestive system until only the brain and the cardio-pulmonary system works. If the body is further starved of food, the brain will shut down, followed by the heart and lungs.

ReputationRep:
    I ate nothing or drank nothing for 2 days once , once again due to depression.

ReputationRep:
    for me not more than 1 or 2 days

ReputationRep:
    About a month depending on health.

ReputationRep:
    HAHAHA I'd like to have ex-boyfriend locked in the cellar :P

Nah, as I said...it's because I watched the film 'Seven' and they starved someone for a year but I think they actually put tubes in him.

ReputationRep:
    it also depends on the location you are in the world, the colder the country the longer you live as the body uses up less energy and sweats less. In the UK you would die of thirst in about three days. In someplace like the Sahara youd be dead within a day or something like that

ReputationRep:
    3 days without in the UK? Surely it's longer than that (more like 5)

When they say "7 days without water" I don't think they tested it in Siberia or anywhere- certainly nowhere colder than the UK!

ReputationRep:
    Didn't David Blaine try it once?

ReputationRep:
    I think the world record is 8 weeks, but don't quote me on that. I think at a stretch a person of average body weight could probably manage 6 weeks, if they didn't move around. Why you would put yourself through that unless you had a mental illness is beyond me though :eek:

Actually the world record is a little over 7 weeks 50 days by a Russian, I just checked. Although it's only authenticated by local newspapers not the Guiness Book of Records or anything.

ReputationRep:
    I lived for about 4 weeks on tea and biscuits when I was depressed.

I've also got a friend for as long as I've known her has eats nothing but apples, oranges, chocolate and crackers just because she's fussy.

So I don't know about eating nothing at all, but it is definately possible to live for a long time on a very restricted diet... if you can call it living lol

ReputationRep:
    Recently I went without food for about 4 days because it was painful for me too eat. All I consumed was water and painkillers. It wasn't nice, you get really weak and can't think properly.
    David Blaine fasted for 44-days!

ReputationRep:
    What a buerk.

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.