Are people that interested in international football?

Watch
Poll: Do you watch Qualifiers and /or Friendlies?
Yes (3)
23.08%
No (10)
76.92%
Qualifiers (0)
0%
Friendlies (0)
0%
Tiger Rag
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Not the World Cup or the Euros, the friendlies and the qualifiers.

I have to say that I look at a lot of fixtures and they look so boring. I will watch the World Cup and Euros; but have no interest at all in watching any of the friendlies or the qualifying games.
username917703
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
People claim they aren't but - http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/foo...n-history.html

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/foo...Euro-2016.html

I get if people aren't bothered about friendlies, qualifiers depend on whether you care about your team or not. I bet the Welsh were loving it in 2015.

Every football fan watches the tournaments when they are on so they may as well stop pretending to not care about international football.

The friendlies/qualifiers apply to club football also. You don't get people saying 'I don't care about club football cos pre season friendlies/qualifying rounds of the CL', the problem with internationals is the friendlies disrupting the season.

International football :cool:
Zerforax
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Am i bovvered?

No.
samir12
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Wilfred Little)
People claim they aren't but - http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/foo...n-history.html

I get if people aren't bothered about friendlies, qualifiers depend on whether you care about your team or not. I bet the Welsh were loving it in 2015.

Every football fan watches the tournaments when they are on so they may as well stop pretending to not care about international football.

The friendlies/qualifiers apply to club football also. You don't get people saying 'I don't care about club football cos pre season friendlies/qualifying rounds of the CL', the problem with internationals is the friendlies disrupting the season.

You can watch something and not care about it, people generally watch international football as there is no other football on at the time that is worth watching. I do agree to an extent of it though, people pretend to not care about England yet watch the matches and whine about how **** England are.
Reality Check
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I support Spurs. No, I am not interested in European football.

Dexa
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Unless you get to the last 16 stage of the World Cup or Euros, the quality of football is much poorer compared to top level club games.
999tigger
Badges: 19
Report 3 years ago
No, but then qualifiers etc have become less important. I thought he was looking into a 48 team world cup? that would mean there would eb almost no chance of failing to qualify, makes a bit pointless. World and European Cup would be massive if we ever performed decently. Winning the world cup would be the biggest sproting achievment for this country by far and the footballers would become legends.

Not everyone supports the big teams, so its their only way into international football.
Diego Costa
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Why would people watch friendlies and not qualifiers?
Lord Samosa
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I like to watch Wales obviously (not friendlies tho). But I don't have Sky sports so I'm just stuck with God awful England games on tv.

I'd much rather watch the best home nation play.
Yaboi
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
International football is dead.
Zürich
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Used to be as a kid because I'm from a Dutch family and it was a nice connection etc but less and less interested. World Cup/Euros are hype but the rest is nonsense.

imo England is worse, must be awful
wolfmoon88
Badges: 21
Report 3 years ago
I love international football

Posted from TSR Mobile
sr90
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago

tbh I find it increasingly hard to give a **** about what we do in pre season, especially when the games are all 3am kick offs.
username917703
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by sr90)
tbh I find it increasingly hard to give a **** about what we do in pre season, especially when the games are all 3am kick offs.
I get that, but that's my point.
difeo
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago

The difference is it's 10% of the club season compared to 80% of the international season
username917703
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by difeo)
The difference is it's 10% of the club season compared to 80% of the international season
No it's not. I already thought about that. The majority of international fixtures are qualifiers (i.e. competitive). It's the timing of the fixtures people have the issue with, they also moan when qualifiers are played mid season.
difeo
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
No it's not. I already thought about that. The majority of international fixtures are qualifiers (i.e. competitive). It's the timing of the fixtures people have the issue with, they also moan when qualifiers are played mid season.
You included qualifiers along with friendlies in your previous post. Rightly so because they're nearly as bad, with the big teams comfortably winning almost all.

Posted from TSR Mobile
username917703
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by difeo)
You included qualifiers along with friendlies in your previous post. Rightly so because they're nearly as bad, with the big teams comfortably winning almost all.

Posted from TSR Mobile
The exact same thing happens in club football.
samir12
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
The exact same thing happens in club football.
Not in the Premier League nowadays, there are no easy games and the big teams have to fight for their 3 points regardless of the opposition. Your statement was only true for when we had the big Sky 4 with Fergusons United dominating the league.
zaneminosti
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Yes, I prefer international football much more than club.

I don't see how I can relate to a club, all it represents is the deep pockets of an owner and some commercial enterprise.

At least on international level they are representing you and your country.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (163)
14.49%
I'm not sure (51)
4.53%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (331)
29.42%
I have already dropped out (34)
3.02%
I'm not a current university student (546)
48.53%

Watched Threads