The Student Room Group

Background knowledge required for medicine interviews

Can anyone briefly outline the background knowledge that is required? Are we meant to know about how Medicine has developed across centuries, and to know what significant advances have been made in each century?

Thanks
It can be useful to know the basics about those things, yeah. Have you considered buying the ISC interview book? I think it has a really good and useful section telling about the things that we need to know including stuff like the history of medicine, the NHS, ethics and so on.
That's exactly what I'm using at the moment! If I'm being honest, I don't really know much about Medicine so I almost feel as if I have to learn this. I'm taking notes on pretty much everything that happened for example in the 19th century. It takes quite a bit of time but I do have enough time left. Is this the right way to go about it or Should I only take very brief notes e.g. 1 or 2 events that interest me in each century?

Thanks for your help!
They are looking for the personal qualities you need to be a good doctor - ability to listen, observation skills, communication skills (not just verbal ones), ability to cope/answer under pressure, ethics, commitment to the NHS, evidence of altruism, common sense and general intelligence.

You do not need a deep knowledge of the history of Medicine. You need ...... to look people in the eye, have your brain in gear, and to listen to the question, pause/think, then answer clearly and without rambling.

If you do want to prepare, then write down 10 questions that you think might be asked - start with 'Why would I want you as my doctor?' - and think about some convincing, honest, answers.
They're not expecting you to know everything, that's why you go to university. They mainly want to know why you want to study medicine, and your awareness of current issues.
Reply 5
Original post by cookiemunch12
That's exactly what I'm using at the moment! If I'm being honest, I don't really know much about Medicine so I almost feel as if I have to learn this. I'm taking notes on pretty much everything that happened for example in the 19th century. It takes quite a bit of time but I do have enough time left. Is this the right way to go about it or Should I only take very brief notes e.g. 1 or 2 events that interest me in each century?

Thanks for your help!

You don't need to know everything that has happened. It might be helpful to have an idea of one or two of the more significant advances and how they have had an impact on modern day healthcare, but I wouldn't get wound up by the details.

Imo it would be more helpful to have a general idea of what's going on at present. Personally I found it helpful to scroll through the Health section of the BBC News website every day and make a note of any stories that interested me. I would think about how these stories would have an impact on patient care, and their advantages and disadvantages.

I don't think you need a lot of background knowledge in terms of the history of medicine, and I imagine any question that is asked would be more general ('Tell me about a significant advancement in medicine and why you believe it is important' ) in which case it'd be better to know about a small significant few rather than the entire history of medicine.
(edited 7 years ago)
Can anyone briefly outline the background knowledge that is required? Are we meant to know about how Medicine has developed across centuries, and to know what significant advances have been made in each century?

Thanks

Definitely know: your personal statement and work experience inside out (including examples of things you've done/read to bring up), structure of the medical degree at the university, training pathway for doctors, a bit about ethics (consent, capacity + confidentiality).

Other than that, you should read about other 'hot topics' in medicine but really just pick and choose what interests you. They're not going to test you on stuff you're not expected to know but you might be asked to talk about anything you've read about.
Think about the biggest challenges that medicine and the NHS might face. Try to start to think in a professional manner "do no harm", the patients best interests should come first etc. Read through the history but don't learn it but it will give you an understanding of the medical breakthroughs and how it's an ever changing profession.

Teamwork is hugely emphasised in interviews, think about how that might be a factor in medicine and think about experiences in your life that show you can work in , as well as lead, a team.

Thanks

I sincerely doubt that many medical students or doctors have any knowledge of historical medicine beyond the general knowledge level.

A grasp of how doctors fit into the modern NHS model and how it may change in the future is generally enough. The BBC Health section is usually a good starting point for NHS issues.
Original post by Becca-Sarah
I sincerely doubt that many medical students or doctors have any knowledge of historical medicine beyond the general knowledge level.

A grasp of how doctors fit into the modern NHS model and how it may change in the future is generally enough. The BBC Health section is usually a good starting point for NHS issues.

What would be classed as general knowledge?
What would be classed as general knowledge?

Pub quiz. Generally anyone's grandmother can tell you vaguely when the NHS was invented and when antibiotics were discovered, etc.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending