Do "blacklists" or a "database" of failed candidates exist?

Watch
random163
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
particularly in the legal industry (whether for a TC/VS, legal support role or where a recruitment agent is involved etc), does such "database" exist where blanket rules are applied to a particular person/name when that person has applied for a position?

example i got from an article on Linkedin:

A woman desperately wants to land a job at her dream company. She enlists the aid of two recruiting firms to place her résumé in front of a hiring manager. Recruiting Firm B gets the credit for submitting her résumé to the company. Recruiting Firm A had no idea she was using another recruiter, and was furious when they didn’t get the credit, or their fee for her hire. The slighted firm swore they would never work with the woman again and blacklisted her. Later, the woman decided to take a counter-offer from her current employer. At the very last minute she turned down the position, leaving that employer in a bind. To further make a mess of the situation, Recruiting Firm B lost the fee they would have collected from the placement, and their relationship with their client was damaged. Firm B also blacklisted the woman.

i am not saying this applies to my case (as i still get agents contacting me for interest for certain roles) but i am nonetheless vexed by reading this and the possibility of this happening to myself when i do start applying for roles (particularly where a hiring agent is involved as in the example - which is quite a common occurrence). how would one ensure that perpetrators face the music? (e.g. somehow making a complaint to the information commissioners office if one suspects foul play?)
l'etranger
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Using recruitment agencies is unnecessary and frankly legal experts are going to know what they are looking for much more than these glorified HR mercenaries. Unless you have a criminal record don't worry.
random163
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
(Original post by J-SP)
A database will only exist within an organisation. If that is a recruitment agency then their blacklist will stop them recommending you to their clients. It won't be an issue if you apply for roles either via another agency or directly to the firm.
Posted from TSR Mobile
ok, so are such databases/blacklists ever shared between agencies like a secret industry wide blacklist where only its member organisations can see it?
l'etranger
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by random163)
ok, so are such databases/blacklists ever shared between agencies like a secret industry wide blacklist where only its member organisations can see it?
If a recruiter actively tried to destroy your career, you could probably sue them. Imagine any other business where the owners of one company waged a campaign of harassment against their competitor's customers.
emmings
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Have a google about the ongoing construction industry blacklisting litigation - there will be some indepth articles out there which will explain the issues.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think receiving Teacher Assessed Grades will impact your future?

I'm worried it will negatively impact me getting into university/college (71)
37.57%
I'm worried that I’m not academically prepared for the next stage in my educational journey (19)
10.05%
I'm worried it will impact my future career (12)
6.35%
I'm worried that my grades will be seen as ‘lesser’ because I didn’t take exams (47)
24.87%
I don’t think that receiving these grades will impact my future (25)
13.23%
I think that receiving these grades will affect me in another way (let us know in the discussion!) (15)
7.94%

Watched Threads