Turn on thread page Beta

How easy is it to give up alcohol watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    also it depends on your reasons for not wanting to drink, there are plenty of other recreational drugs that would indeed make you able to enjoy a night out with a load of pissheads without having to touch any alcohol.
    unless you are an alcoholic(which you obvioussly are'nt) then it is simply a vice not an addiction.

bottom line is don't hang around with completely pissed people if your sober , theyn just come across obnoxious and irrational.

ReputationRep:
    I gave up drinking a few months ago without any problems. The thing that keeps me off the booze now is the thought that I could still have just as bad a reaction as what I did the last time I drank (and it wasn't a lot that night either) and I simply don't want to go there again.

People respect my choice for not drinking because they understand my reasons (without actually knowing what happened). It was something slightly worse than cheating on a boyfriend but others should respect that you want to remain faithful and that is easier when sober.

ReputationRep:
    I often don't drink on a night out.

Granted, I do have a good time when off my face with my friends, but I simply can't afford it.

Usually, one of us takes turns to drive, as it costs about £30 to get home by taxi at our favourite hotspot.

I don't mind though, I love remembering what everyone has done the next morning, and pointing and laughing when they are chucking up in an alleyway.

ReputationRep:
    Haven't drank in about 2 months other than 1 pint of beer! It's easier at home, although at uni I started off in the get wasted too often stage. But I'm going to try not to bother in my 2nd year, it's a waste of money!

ReputationRep:
    I just stopped a over a year ago. Partly because I couldn't afford to buy alcohol all the time/turn up hungover to seminars, and partly because the last time I drank properly, I ended up inadvertantly cartwheeling down 2 flights of stairs (apparently, I don't recall it) and woke up with (someone else's) fake blood all over my face, a thumping headache, and having fallen out permanently with my ex. So I declared that I'd never drink again, and (aside from accidentally drinking a coke that turned out to have 2 shots of vodka in) stuck to it. It's just willpower that you need.

All my mates drink and it doesn't bother me that they do, or them that I don't. Besides, *apparently* most of the feeling of being drunk is psychosomatic (I don't know if I explained that properly, but I know what I meant; it's more caused by the company than the drug). Or so I've heard. Whatever. I'm still an idiot on nights out :rolleyes: .

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 23, 2007
Poll
Have you ever experienced bullying?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.