The Student Room Group

Oriental Studies 2017

Scroll to see replies

Original post by cdcdc
Chinese at Univ :smile: How about you?

Cool stuff, that's where Harry Potter was filmed, right?
Arabic and Islamic Studies @ Pembroke.

I just want them to put me out of my misery now :/
Reply 61
Original post by cdcdc
Just got my interview invitation :biggrin: See you there!

Yay! so happy for you, good luck to everyone else :-)
Original post by cdcdc
Just got my interview invitation :biggrin: See you there!

See you! I got an invitation today as well :biggrin:
Reply 63
Original post by AsmaaMahamud97
Cool stuff, that's where Harry Potter was filmed, right?
Arabic and Islamic Studies @ Pembroke.

I just want them to put me out of my misery now :/

Oh really? I thought that was Christ Church... but then again I'm not a Harry Potter fan so I have no idea!

Good luck, I'm sure you'll be fine!
Original post by cdcdc
Oh really? I thought that was Christ Church... but then again I'm not a Harry Potter fan so I have no idea!

Good luck, I'm sure you'll be fine!

Hmm, I'm not sure either.
Lol thanks. I actually got an invitation last Friday but it was in my junk mail so I only found it last night. So maybe I'll be seeing you there :colondollar: :colondollar:
Original post by LingoPD
Seems to be a fair few doing Chinese - good luck everyone!
I've applied for Japanese at Pembroke - very excited at the prospect of studying Japanese next year :biggrin:

Good luck!! I'm a first year Japanologist at Pembroke, so if you have any questions feel free to ask :smile:
Reply 66
Original post by TheTechN1304
Good luck!! I'm a first year Japanologist at Pembroke, so if you have any questions feel free to ask :smile:

Oh awesome! I'll be at Pembroke next week for my interview. I'm pretty nervous but it will be nice to get a feel of the college :smile:
So, sorry to resurrect this thread, but is anyone else getting really damn nervous? Also does anyone know/remember how important the Faculty interview was compared to the college interview? And, would a good couple of interviews make up for a rubbish OLAT score (or vice versa)???

How did your interviews go?
Reply 68
Original post by Unidropout
So, sorry to resurrect this thread, but is anyone else getting really damn nervous? Also does anyone know/remember how important the Faculty interview was compared to the college interview? And, would a good couple of interviews make up for a rubbish OLAT score (or vice versa)???

How did your interviews go?

the interviews were hard to judge, who knows really! some people came out with smiles and some didnt. I didn't know that faculty or college was more important than the other, I think that the tutors will still confer with one another at the end of the day so they should be balanced! Good luck, what did you apply for?
Good luck, everyone! I was in your boat this time last year and was slowly having a nervous breakdown . . . I was unsuccessful in the end and it was quite upsetting for me but I love the university I'm at now so, in the words of Master Oogway from Kung Fu Panda: Everything will be all right in the end. And if it is not all right, it is not yet the end. :biggrin:
Original post by hallyu
the interviews were hard to judge, who knows really! some people came out with smiles and some didnt. I didn't know that faculty or college was more important than the other, I think that the tutors will still confer with one another at the end of the day so they should be balanced! Good luck, what did you apply for?

Hard to tell- I feel like thats the only way to describe the interviews :/

Ahhhh. I'm really worried about the OLAT though- I applied for Arabic. I really really hope it doesn't count against me. Does anyone know how important it is compared to the interviews????
Original post by Edminzodo
Good luck, everyone! I was in your boat this time last year and was slowly having a nervous breakdown . . . I was unsuccessful in the end and it was quite upsetting for me but I love the university I'm at now so, in the words of Master Oogway from Kung Fu Panda: Everything will be all right in the end. And if it is not all right, it is not yet the end. :biggrin:

Which uni are you at now? What did you apply for? Do you know what let your application down?
Reply 72
Hard to tell- I feel like thats the only way to describe the interviews :/

Ahhhh. I'm really worried about the OLAT though- I applied for Arabic. I really really hope it doesn't count against me. Does anyone know how important it is compared to the interviews????

From what I hear, admissions tests are what gets you the invite to the interview, so you must have done pretty decent, if not decent then you must have done great! also dont focus on things you cant change, all you can do is know you tried your best :smile: which college did you apply to?
Original post by hallyu
From what I hear, admissions tests are what gets you the invite to the interview, so you must have done pretty decent, if not decent then you must have done great! also dont focus on things you cant change, all you can do is know you tried your best :smile: which college did you apply to?

Easier said than done!!! But yeah, I should stop worrying :/ Although the OLAT isn't used in deselecting like other subjects (like the HAT), so that might be more of a problem if in fact I have completely messed up the OLAT.

I was at John's but got pooled. I did like the look of Queen's (Queens' (???)) though- very pretty and chilled out from what I gathered.
Reply 74
Easier said than done!!! But yeah, I should stop worrying :/ Although the OLAT isn't used in deselecting like other subjects (like the HAT), so that might be more of a problem if in fact I have completely messed up the OLAT.

I was at John's but got pooled. I did like the look of Queen's (Queens' (???)) though- very pretty and chilled out from what I gathered.

Yeah! I had mine at queens, so chill and lovely. their jcr was super posh too, I liked it...student helpers were so lovely. Also, I know it's easier said than done, but it's better to find something to distract you :smile: I really do hope you get in, good luck!
Which uni are you at now? What did you apply for? Do you know what let your application down?

I've sent you a PM.
did anybody apply for chinese? x

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending