The Student Room Group

I think I am becoming an Agoraphobic Political correctness

Recently a famous basketball coach, Phil Jackson has hit the headlines as a total disgusting racist.
Phil Jackson is arguably one the best basketball coach of all time, he has coached numerous teams of nearly all black players has been known as one of the most liberal coaches to ever play the game and previously was highly respected for his character as well as his abilities as a coach.

So when I heard he was in trouble for racism I was expecting some huge shock the N word been used someone been called a monkey or something equally bad.

Nope he used the term Posse which apparently since he was talking about Lebron James who happens to be black , so now this is racist. http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nba/columnist/sam-amick/2016/11/16/phil-jackson-lebron-james-carmelo-anthony-maverick-carter-donald-trump-posse/93980640/

When I mentioned it to people they acted like I was a disgusting racist for even disputing whether this was racist.

Now some people say Phil has double standards because he allowed Dennis Rodman to do his wrestling thing and allowed Michael Jordan to gamble well into the night.

Well I suppose if Michael Jordan and Dennis Rodman happened to be white, I could understand that point I would still think it silly but at least there would be something to moan about. However Michael Jordan and Dennis Rodman are both black.

So Jackson is now racist because he doesn't stick to the same standards for one black guy as he had for other black guys. Okay then.
I think its clear that Phil Jackson and Lebron James have not exactly been the best of friends in the past. However I don't see how that makes Phil racist he has gotten on very well with numerous black men just not Lebron James. Which does not make Phil Racist it just means he does not get on with lebron James.

Which brings me to my next point I don't view Posse as a negative rude term per say I think in the way Phil used it, it was a bit rude and dismissive. However so what, that does not make it a racist thing it just means Phil does not like Lebron.

We have this current climate of political correctness where by people claim racist over everything. To win a debate one no longer needs a logical argument well reasoned points or evidence they merely need to scroll through what their opponent has said and find out if there is any convoluted way they can possibly find some way to argue racist.

a few months back I told a friend to never speak to me ever again over an incident of facebook. here is what happened.
He posted something to his facebook about the global economy fiat currency and some guy predicting that the entire thing will collapse. This is an idea I have subscribed to for some time. I know that is a highly contentious issue which can be disputed on both sides.
However some guy he was friends with on facebook said " dont listen to that guy he is part of the Extreme far right Nazi Bristish UKIP party"
okay a number of points wrong with that I mean calling UKIP extreme far right is stupid literally labeling them the Nazi party goes beyond stupid.

However even if we accepted both of these points, how does that invalidate the point? how does that defeat the argument? I am sure Adolf Hitler had at the very least a basic concept of mathematics if Hitler was teaching the times table to someone, 7*7 does not seize to be 49 just because Hitler said it.

How is the point debunking the argument. This tilted me for a number of reasons so I commented on it pointing out that UKIP is not the UK Nazi party, and that even if they were that does not reject the argument.

My former friend said oh I didn't know and thanked him for the apparent rebuttal of this guys argument. WHAT THE HECK! how is that a rebuttal!!!!

I finally said this is the sort of thing which is helping Le Penn gain support in your country.

at which point his friend says my assuming he is french just because he is friends with this guy who happens to be french says more about me then a long conversation ever could and only supports his position.

To which my former friend liked and supported his comment. he also said yes anti Racism is the problem sarcastically to which my former friend liked to.

My former friend was french yes I admit I assumed that his friend was likely to also be french. Which is now racist to? so assuming peoples friends likely come from the same country is now racist?

I live in Dorset if I had any friends I guess you would assume they too came from Dorset. I would not think you are racist for making that assumption I would think it was a logical assumption that my friends are likely to come from the same place as me or near to me for obvious practical reasons.

How do we now win debates without logic, but by trying to see how we can spot the racist?

How is it now the case that literally anything can be classed as racist? Look I truly abhor real racism.
However this SJW PC nonsense is just getting absurd.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending