American election: why is honesty conflated with truth?

Watch
Akamega
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
In the case of Trump et al, I don't doubt they might be honestly articulating what they believe, but that's not the same thing as being truthful. Trump, for example, is notorious for his false claims (check most fact-checking websites), and we saw a similar sort of falsehood when it came to Brexit campaigners in June. But right-wing voters are championing these people as bastions of truth and honour.

Trump et al supporters either:
1) Conflate honesty and truth, and are enamoured with Trump as a result.

2) Or, can distinguish between the two, and therefore realise that Trump's claims were predicated mostly on lies and still supported him.

The first is really interesting. The latter is terrifying, immoral and vindictive.
Farm_Ecology
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Akamega)
In the case of Trump et al, I don't doubt they might be honestly articulating what they believe, but that's not the same thing as being truthful. Trump, for example, is notorious for his false claims (check most fact-checking websites), and we saw a similar sort of falsehood when it came to Brexit campaigners in June. But right-wing voters are championing these people as bastions of truth and honour.

Trump et al supporters either:
1) Conflate honesty and truth, and are enamoured with Trump as a result.

2) Or, can distinguish between the two, and therefore realise that Trump's claims were predicated mostly on lies and still supported him.

The first is really interesting. The latter is terrifying, immoral and vindictive.
It's interesting that you talk about truth and support for Trump, because there was a large swath of misinformation concerning Trump put forward by media and other sources. Quotes were taken well out of context, and blatant speculation was used to make his potential presidency seem apocalyptic.

I the problem is, once you start lying about very basic facts, viewers and readers lose faith in your authority on the truth. This is likely a reason why Trump was so successful.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (538)
33.96%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (651)
41.1%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (322)
20.33%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (73)
4.61%

Watched Threads