What is the significance of Elizabeth's letters in Frankenstein?

Watch
Moonlightmadness
Badges: 2
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Just went over my notes on frankenstein and was just wondering what was the significance of the letters being given by elizabeth to victor.

I mean, I obviously know that the letter had been written to inform victor about the wellfare of his family and for elizabeth to see if hes okay, but I was just wondering if her letter served any signifcance to charetcer development or if there is any significance interms of context...

Any ideas would be helpful, thanks 😊
charlie_rhia_x
Badges: 11
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Moonlightmadness)
Just went over my notes on frankenstein and was just wondering what was the significance of the letters being given by elizabeth to victor.

I mean, I obviously know that the letter had been written to inform victor about the wellfare of his family and for elizabeth to see if hes okay, but I was just wondering if her letter served any signifcance to charetcer development or if there is any significance interms of context...

Any ideas would be helpful, thanks 😊
not sure about the letters specifically but Elizabeth is intended to represent the idealisation of women throughout the book - she is portrayed unrealistically as almost perfect

the letters also show the link to Frankenstein's family and the fact that his family is always there to support him, even when he doesn't really deserve this support
Moonlightmadness
Rep:
(Original post by charlie_rhia_x)
not sure about the letters specifically but Elizabeth is intended to represent the idealisation of women throughout the book - she is portrayed unrealistically as almost perfect

the letters also show the link to Frankenstein's family and the fact that his family is always there to support him, even when he doesn't really deserve this support
Oh, ok thanks
charlie_rhia_x
Rep:
Report 5 years ago
Oh, ok thanks
oh and the fact that Victor relates these letters is to give credibility to his narrative (he physically produces the letters at the end, doesn't he?)
Moonlightmadness
Rep:
(Original post by charlie_rhia_x)
oh and the fact that Victor relates these letters is to give credibility to his narrative (he physically produces the letters at the end, doesn't he?)
Huh...thats an interesting point 😮 i havent actually read that far off into the novel😂😂 but i have checked out something on cliffsnotes. I dont know what you mean about physically producing the letters, but he (or walton) wrote one at the end, explaining walton's departure and wants to confront the creature before heading off to Europe.

I find this interesting. Since its the last letter in the novel which could foreshadow the death of victor. Also, its the last confrontation between the monster and victor and strangely enough they both have the same intentions of imposing vengeance against eachother for the same reason of causing dismay in both of their lives. This might be a bit of a stretch but this could be an implication that victor and the creature are one in the same.

Sorry, i think i went off on a bit of a tangent there 😅
charlie_rhia_x
Rep:
Report 5 years ago
Huh...thats an interesting point 😮 i havent actually read that far off into the novel😂😂 but i have checked out something on cliffsnotes. I dont know what you mean about physically producing the letters, but he (or walton) wrote one at the end, explaining walton's departure and wants to confront the creature before heading off to Europe.

I find this interesting. Since its the last letter in the novel which could foreshadow the death of victor. Also, its the last confrontation between the monster and victor and strangely enough they both have the same intentions of imposing vengeance against eachother for the same reason of causing dismay in both of their lives. This might be a bit of a stretch but this could be an implication that victor and the creature are one in the same.

Sorry, i think i went off on a bit of a tangent there 😅
yeah i think that's a really good point, there are a lot of parallels between victor and the monster and it's been suggested that the monster is victor's doppelgänger - a mirror of him who acts out all his darkest and most violent fantasies
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Would you give consent for uni's to contact your parent/trusted person in a mental health crisis?

Yes - my parent/carer (68)
32.69%
Yes - a trusted person (58)
27.88%
No (55)
26.44%
I'm not sure (27)
12.98%

Watched Threads